main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

Power id guess e.g. who is sitting higher in the chain

2. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    He's the Tarkin of this movie, a throw away character I'd say.

Acts evil, gets blown up with the Starkiller Base.

3. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    He's the Tarkin of this movie, a throw away character I'd say.

Acts evil, gets blown up with the Starkiller Base.

4. FirstOrder

FirstOrder Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 26, 2015

More than likely. Hux sounds like he's going to be a major a-hole, more so than Kylo or any other member of the First Order.

Or in short answer - he's replaceable.

5. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Too black to see!
    That's the blackest black ever, fam.
    That's blacker than my cousin Femi.

(Guess the movie. Hint: there's a TFA connection).

6. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I'm guessing in how things are done as well as priorities.

I'm sure Hux also has issues with this wacky dude with the ancient religion antics getting a seat at the table of power.

7. BusterBrosey

BusterBrosey Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2015

ATTACK THE BLOCK! I just watched for the first time last night. Great movie.

8. Spenno

Spenno Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 1, 2015
    The John Boyega filmography isn't exactly very long :p

I'm not convinced by Hux yet. I really like Gleeson as an actor, maybe that's why I'm struggling to imagine him as a Grade A *******. Compared to Kylo, Phasma and Snoke (not that we know much) he very much appears like a random guy with a uniform you imagine the others could wipe out in a heartbeat. Obviously he has some other hold over them or is completely respected in his abilities to lead, much like the Tarkin / Vader relationship.

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Why would Hux have issues with a Force user when by all accounts the FO embraces the darkside more than the Empire ever did? Wasn't that part of Aftermath? The Imperials were going to try to find the source of the darkside or something along those lines

10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    If Hux has issues with individuality, I guess a psychotic and obsessive child of destiny may be a struggle for him.

11. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    It is trully amazing how the kind looking Gleeson has been tronsformed into that crazy looking imperial.

Who would have said back on April 2014.

JabbatheHumanBeing and Shamear like this.
  12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
  13. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    He's too young. I mean don't get me wrong I really like Domhall, but I can't imagine someone who's barely 30 leading this organisation. He probably wasn't even born when the emperor died.

It's the one character that doesn't sit well with me.

14. Matt47

Matt47 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 17, 2015
    That's the whole point of the character is it not? I think that's gonna be a part of his character in the film.

Satipo likes this.
  15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes, to be that young and have schemed your to the top, no doubt having "dealt with older rivals" along the way hints at a great deal about his nature.

16. younghansolo

Jun 2, 2002
    You see, now I see that as really unlikely, unless he were s force user.

How could he rise to the very top of the ranks within 15 years presuming he starts at the bottom as a private. They're in bad shape if they don't have anyone left from the Empire to lead and have to rely on a kid. I don't care how evil you are, it doesn't make up for experience, training or knowledge of the past.

Personally I think it's ridiculous but to each their own.

17. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Wealth, power, ruthlessness, ambition and the ability to exploit the prevailing mood at the time. Who says he is ever a private? He is the descendant of an imperial commander iirc. He probably went straight in as an officer. Also, who says he commands the Entire First Order? He appears to oversee the Starkiller project. Maybe he was the one that has driven that side of things. Maybe that ambition is what got him to the top. In a remnant of hardliners, the superweapon to top all superweapons is going to give you some clout potentially.

Why do so many think only characters with force powers can achieve anything?

18. younghansolo

Jun 2, 2002
    I didn't say only force users could achieve anything, please don't paraphrase me. if your summary proves true about his ownership of the star killer project, it would have been better served if her were some kind of mad scientist imo rather than a general. In that sense age wouldn't have mattered so much. Much like his and Oscar isaacs roles in ex machina.

I believe exploitation of the force is a distinct advantage, would you disagree?

He's a general, that says enough about his current level.

19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It was more a general comment as it's something I see echoed a lot. It could be advantageous, but seeing as he doesn't appear to have had such an advantage, and that there are plenty of other reasons for his rise to power its rather moot.

20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The idea of a Kylo-Hux rivalry already distinguishes him from Tarkin. Because Tarkin and Vader seemed to work quite well together overall. As for his age, this is SW:

-Padme was ruling a planet at age 14, and a Galactic Senator in her early 20's.
    -Leia was a high-ranking member of the rebellion, and a Imperial Senator, when she was a teenager.
    -Anakin was a general in his 20's.
    -Billie Lourd seems to have a seat at the Resistance "command table," alongside Leia, Han, Admiral Ackbar, and several other much older people. She's 23.
    -Etc.

sterling3763, Satipo and FirstOrder like this.
  21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Hitler was leader of the Nazi party when he was 32.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

It's simple: we know that Gleeson played Bill Weasley and Jason Isaacs played Lucius Malfoy. Malfoy placed Bill Weasley under the Imperius Curse, but something happened: Lucius was teleported to the GFFA and transformed into the Grand Inquisitor and Bill likewise, only decades later, becoming General Hux.

Or really...that's what the script called for. :p

Darth_Voider and Darth Claire like this.
  23. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    It all makes sense, but we need to include that prior to that Hux and Poe Dameron worked together on a robot/internet project and....we know how that ended :p

Darth_Voider and PCCViking like this.
  24. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I believe it's be confirmed that his relative was a high ranking member in the Empire. Maybe that's how Hux rose to the top.

25. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Personally, I found Tarkin to be one of the most enjoyable characters to watch in ANH, so I', not sure I'd use the "throw away" descriptor for Hux. Yes, he'll be irredeemably evil. But he also might inject scenes with energy and brutality. And if he and Kylo are "frenemies," that will also elevate the level of tension and drama in the "baddie" scenes.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.