main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    As I understand it, Abrams chose the actor to play Kirk at the last minute too.

2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i think they picked dom for a reason.

T-R- likes this.
  3. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    exactly. that was the main lead they probably spent weeks looking at actors before decideing on pine.

Revanfan1 and T-R- like this.
  4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    He wasn't cast at the last minute as the official announcement was supposed to be for that Sunday (so almost a week before the supposed date of announcement, which came early on a Tuesday, as he was cast on Monday)
    and he was cast more than 2 weeks before Principal Photography.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Come on now. Look below and tell me again that he doesn't have ANY facial resemblance to Mark. Dead ringer - NO. Enough to look like he could be his son - ABSOLUTELY.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is completely erroneous. They got the guy they wanted. They didn't settle, they made sure they had the right guy.

Look at JJ's history. Pine was the last cast member signed. He plays Kirk. The main character. He was signed 2 weeks before filming. JJ takes his time to make sure he has the right person for the role.

6. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I agree with you guys regarding the timing of the casting. I'm not worried about Domhnall, as I think they probably weren't happy with the people they had seen and wanted to wait and find the right person. In addition to Chris Pine as Kirk, the lead female on Lost, Evangeline Lilly, wasn't cast until late too. So I wouldn't read too much into the lateness of Domhnall's casting. But man, that must have been an intense few days for him! To go from auditioning, to the high of being cast, to the read through with all the original actors... that must have been a trip!

I wonder if maybe that's what happened to the second female? Maybe they just hadn't found an actress they liked before the casting announcement and rather than sign the wrong person, they decided to hold out and just announce her later?

T-R- likes this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    since I can't edit, I'll add:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    he probably grew up watching the movies. didnt know he was born 2 weeks before jedi was released.

T-R- likes this.
  9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Sorry I don't see the remote resemblance other than both Gleeson and Hamil are white guys.Other than that-nill.

10. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    hayden and mark never looked like they could play father and son.

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    [​IMG] :p

12. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    If his mother was a redhead then it would be believable....;) Though, personally, I think we are yet to see the person they've cast as Luke's offspring.

13. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001

True, that's a fair point. I don't think those two have much in common at all.

14. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I think he looks like he could be Luke's son, but even if he doesn't to you guys, you gotta admit that it's the way he acts that is the most important when it comes to being believable. In Star Trek, Chris Hemsworth looked nothing like Chris Pine yet I bought that they were father and son.

15. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    I see features in Domhnall Gleeson that look like if Luke Skywalker made a baby with someone, those features of Luke's could come out. And of course acting is a ton of it. I've been impressed with what I've seen of Gleeson's.

T-R- likes this.
  16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    And in "About Time" Gleeson looks absolutely nothing like Bill Nighy, yet there was no doubt they were father and son in the movie.

I do think that Gleeson and Hamill actually have a resemblance, but beyond that, it's Gleeson's acting and presence combined with the looks that make me think Luke's son.

17. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Having read everything you said on the subject.....you really wish that Gleeson is Luke's son because you want Luke to have a son......and I don't think that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm not against the idea of Luke having a son....but if he doesn't ....I still think that the overall saga will still make sense....especially if Han and Leia have some children......a Luke having decided to retire on Tatooine.....like a hermit ..a la Dalai-Lama.....a la Obi-Wan, a la Yoda......could work for me.....as the idea of having a Luke retired on that same planet...with a son...both storylines makes sense....every storylines makes sense if you have a good storyteller at the helm...

At this point......it makes as much sense to have someone that could be related to Obi-Wan (Ben could have a long lost brother that we never met and Gleeson could be a descendant from that brother)...than to Luke.....

Some people ( fans, certainly not the average moviegoers) could find the idea of Ben having a brother a little to convenient.....but it would be a good way to have a bit of that Old Ben in the ST.

Remember....the new fans are much more into the Obi-Wan Kenobi's (Clone wars) bandwagon than Luke's one....yes...that could change really fast..........but it looks like he might appear in REBELS....so I think that Lucasfilm wants to keep the character around. Do I think that Lucasfilm cares about which character the fans seems to like ? Not really..... BUT....Lucasfilm (or Lucas ?) likes to have Obi-Wan at the center of things...

Kenobi has been in all 6 SW movies....a big player in every movies......seems fitting that Kenobi's presence could still be felt in the ST....

So in my opinion....Gleeson could be related to Obi-Wan, Luke or nobody that we know...

18. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    We all just keep making the same points again and again! :) The debate is quite cyclical right now.

Do you guys think we will get confirmation at some point about Domhnall and the others' characters? I remember what JJ did with Khan and I shudder to think of having to wait another year and a half just to know who everyone is! They'll have to tell us at some point, right? At least for publicity running up to the release, I would think. Please?

Mystery Roach and T-R- like this.
  19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Yeah, I do want Luke to have a son, I've said that for years. I'd actually prefer he have more than 1 kid, especially if one was a daughter, but I don't see that happening (Luke having a daughter or more than 1 kid, although I hope I'm wrong).

Having said that, everything you say could be equally applied to the people assuming Daisy is a Solo or John is Luke's apprentice. They seem to get a pass. Everyone has taken the rumors we know, interpreted them, and applied them to fit what they expect/want (whether consciously or subconsciously).

Having said that, it does matter what the actor looks like when applying rumors and SPECULATING. For instance, if Gleeson wasn't cast, I wouldn't be saying I think Daisy is Luke's daughter or Boyega/Driver is Luke's son because I want Luke to have a kid. Driver looks nothing like Mark and without seeing the actress playing Luke's wife (if there is one) I wouldn't speculate that Daisy or Boyega were Luke's kid. If an actress of color was cast as Luke's wife, then I'd be more than happy to speculate that John was playing the new Skywalker.

So let's put it all together. Yes, I want Luke to have a kid. Yes, there were rumors that Plemons et al. were auditioning for the role of Luke's son dating back to last year. Yes, there are rumors that JJ wanted the focus on Luke and the Skywalker line. Yes, there are rumors that certain characteristics of EU characters are being kept for their ST counterparts. Yes, Gleeson was cast. Yes, he fits those characteristics. Yes, he bears a resemblance to Mark (IMHO) that could pass as Luke's son. Yes, I think Gleeson has the acting presence that I would expect Luke's son to possess (one of which is the everyman likability factor). Yes, he was sitting next to LFL president, AD, and MH for the photo. Adding that up, I definitely think Gleeson is playing Luke's son.

Could he be a Kenobi? Sure. Except those rumors focused on a teenage mixed-race female. Tallying up all the rumors of a Skywalker son vs. the single rumors of a Kenobi female relative, there is one that is more likely than the other.

20. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    Well...im not 100% sure that Ridley's character is related to the Solo...and I honestly dont care....since its not
    about what I want or even expect.....

Rumours are only that... rumours...

At this point...I fully expect Gleeson to be a new character that is not related to anyone we know...since its
    the safest bet based on we know....and im pretty sure that Lucas never intended to have
    Luke married....but thats for another thread, another time...

21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Well, based on the numerous Lucas quotes over the years about Luke having a love interest, combined with what Zahn had to say, I think Lucas always intended Luke to have a wife.......but as you say, another thread, another time

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    If JJ sticks with George Lucas's original plan than Luke does supposedly have a love interest and children:

As late as 1988, Lucas was still giving journalists hints about a sequel trilogy. When Starlog asked Lucas why Luke Skywalker had never been given a love interest in the original films, Lucas simply responded, "You haven't seen the last three yet." (Original 7,8, and 9)

Mind you that the original plan was that 7,8, and 9 follow Luke,Han, and Leia in their 30s and 40s, but since we are skipping that time the current 7,8, and 9 are actually Episode 10,11,12 (when Luke,Han, and Leia are older)of George's original 12 episode story.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-wars/30313/george-lucas-star-wars-the-changing-state-of-its-sequels#ixzz315jQDhgF

Concerning Luke having, kids, following Disney buying Lucasfilm, this is what Timothy Zahn said about Luke having kids:
    "You’d have the original trilogy, then go back to Luke’s father and find out what happened to him [in the prequels], and if there was another 7th, 8th, or 9th film, it would be Luke’s children."
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/02/star-wars-sequels-timothy-zahn/

23. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    If you find a quote from Lucas that said "Luke will be married and have children"...get back to me.....even back in the 80s...when Lucas was more loose on the content of the ST...he never stated more than "Luke would have the Obi-Wan's role"....and he said as much to Hamill since the actor has been saying the same thing for 20 years now...

Hamill told us the same thing 3-4 years ago juste before he knew he would reprised the role of Luke. When the ST were thought all but dead, Hamill could have easily told us "who cares, they will never get made..so you know what, it would have been about my children and in the end the EU did covered that"..but no...he always said the same bit "the Obi-wan role..."

I could give you more insights about how was dealt the whole Luke's love interest thing by the SW authors one day....but who cares...since everything we might have known about the ST for the past 30 years are now in the hands of JJ and kasdan...

All bets are off....

24. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I don't expect him to be Luke's son at all. If there was a son, there would be a wife, and there isn't one. Unless they actually want to give Luke a spinoff movie, which I completely doubt since it seems like they're abandoning the character.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Exactly.

You mean like there was a mother in the OT?

Revanfan1 and T-R- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.