main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zdarlight

Zdarlight Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2016
    I've read so much Hux-related fanfiction now that I genuinely need my headcanon sorted out. I'd welcome a Hux novel, personally. I hope there's a lot more background to his character than we've seen so far.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm still surprised his character survived.

3. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    Not sure how that would go... We already got a military rise-to-power thing with Tarkin, and it was somewhat dull.

4. Zdarlight

Zdarlight Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2016
    Yeah, so am I.

Even as someone who's quite attached to him, I've accepted that he's going to come to a rather messy end at some point soon. Either that or a completely insignificant one... I'm not sure which would be worse!

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i loved hux's speech. there are many over the top moments in sw and that was a good one. he really conveys that he believes it. i've also heard critisicm that the officers were too young but that's the point. they are the brainwashed hitler youth grown into command since the remnant imperial officers are either old or dead by now.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I just rewatched Hux's speech and I love it even more than I did when I first saw it. Gleeson really sells the complete zealot that Hux is in that scene. You can literally see the insanity in his eyes. It's perfect!

7. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016

Ditto. He's practically frothing at the mouth with his fervour in that scene. It was a 'go big or go home' moment and he really sold it for me.

nonesuch and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  8. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I thought he was used in a very cartoonish fashion in TFA but Gleeson is clearly an excellent actor so I wouldn't totally give up hope episodes 8 and if he survives 9 could take the character in an interesting direction.

9. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Yup, General Hux definitely has all the makings of becoming a Grand Moff Tarkin lookalike... And potentially becoming a tough and powerful leader of the First Order, potentially superseding even Kylo Ren himself - just look at how Hux maintains a calm and composed demeanor when compared with Kylo!

10. Dame sans merci

Jan 17, 2016
    You've just reminded me that my boyfriend commented, re: Hux and his relationship with Kylo, that he 'must have balls the size of melons' to provoke somebody with a hair trigger temper who could presumably leave him as little more than a smear on a wall should he choose too. Either Hux is VERY confident that he's important enough to have a 'no kill' order on him, or he really likes to live dangerously...

11. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Personally I think Gleeson would be much better suited to a Peitt kind of character rather than a Tarkin.

12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I think Hux and Poe both ended up surving TFA because of the strong performances by both actors. I think Hux is likely to bite the bullet in 8 or 9, but I could see Poe sticking around.

13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Or they didn't want to be accused of just doing Tarkin 2.0. Hux is to Tarkin what Kylo is to Vader, namely the reverse. Vader and Tarkin were old war veterans, and also cold-blooded Machiavellian schemers/tacticians. They also respected each other.

Kylo and Hux, by contrast, are the young less-experiences newbies, who are much more fanatical and passionate. And they cannot stand each other.

And yes, Gleeson played "red-headed Space Hitler" very well. That speech (which was epic BTW) was so Hitler-esque that I wouldn't be surprised if his "research" for the role consisted of watching old footage of Hitler speeches on YouTube or something.

[​IMG]

I love this shot of him. Dear lord he looks so into the whole "wiping out the NR thing." He looks like he's about to cry tears of joy, or get really aroused, at the prospect of taking out his "enemies."

14. Dame sans merci

Jan 17, 2016

As seen elsewhere: 'I just want somebody to look at me the way Hux looks at his giant planet-destroying murder machine'.

Gamma626 and nonesuch like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Xykon from OOTS sums it up best here, in the last panel:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0197.html

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what Hux's first name is (Brendol is his father).

17. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    Going by what we know about Daddy Hux, it's probably Brendol jnr.

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using Tapatalk

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Happy Birthday Domhnall!![face_party]

MarcJordan likes this.
  19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    It's one of my favorite scenes in the whole film. Hux is a true believer and that speech showed it perfectly. It actually kind of scares me.

20. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Sheev? :D

21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    There's probably a whole generation of Imperial loyalists out there who wanted there sons named Sheev.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.