main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    we'll agree to disagree. Not to mention that Ewan's facial structure is far closer to Alec's than Gleeson's is.

But yeah, if Jedi monk Kenobi has a family and Luke doesn't, there will be a lot of WTF's going around

2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't know anything more or less than the average SW fan, but I did believe from the beginning that the "five finalists" article was showcasing actors who were indeed up for two different roles.

Accordingly, my hunch is that yes, Domhnall Gleeson is the actor who landed the role for which Jesse Plemons was rumored back in January.

Luukeskywalker and T-R- like this.
  3. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    gotta be Ben! he was my favorite character from the now *bile in my throat* 'Legends'

4. Kanan

Kanan Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2014
    Gleeson looks like a Kenobi to me and from what i've seen from images and clips I can definitely seeing his character being more dark in nature.

If he is to be a Skywalker, it seems a little odd at present that he's almost a dead ringer for Kenobi.

Six likes this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not sure the timeline quite works for him to be Obi-Wan's son. He'd have to be almost 40 at least, and even then he would have been very young in ANH.

6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Speaking to RTÉ TEN, Gleeson said of the script read-through session captured in the photo. "It was totally surreal to me; surreal is the word. And amazing."
    He continued: "Getting to see those people from your childhoods... Getting to see them still be amazing, still just nail it in the room was ridiculously exciting and something [his casting] I did not expect to happen. So it was a weird, brilliant day."

7. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Spot on!

Just like the scene in ANH where Ben and Luke briefly discuss Luke's father (and look how that character later blossomed).

As you say, all it would really take is that "quick reference" in VII, and we have both the answers we need for this film and the foundation for a character everyone will recognize and look forward to learning more about if we ever get a film about "Mara" (whatever she may be called) down the road. I'd love a film where we potentially see Luke meet his beloved, Han and Leia are wed, and we get to witness the adventures of the Big3 set in the early post-ROTJ GFFA.

The only downside to me is that recasting would almost be inevitable, but that's a trade I'd take if it meant we could finally get those stories.

That would be cool, too. The most important thing to me also is that Luke have a son (and yeah, maybe even a daughter, too) to carry on the name and, more importantly, for us to enjoy in future stories. I tell you, I wish I could "like" your post more than once, ChildOfWinds. :)

Oh, boy, you said it!

ChildOfWinds and T-R- like this.
  8. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    you know with Bill Weasley in this theres some kind of instant validity that Wizards and Witches can be Jedis or Siths [face_tee_hee]

but Domnhall is an AMAZING actor. totally underused in the HP franchise but i hope he'll feature bigger in SW.

also theres an innate goodness this guy just exudes. not saying he cant play villain but i have a feeling he will play one of the good guys instead of the bad guys.

and yeah the resemblance between him and Guiness is remarkable, but thing is so is he to Hamill, specially now with an older Luke Skywalker.

i dont really put too much emphasis on where the actors sit other than the Solo family there-- and its really just for photographic reasons, but if Domnhall's character is related to Luke (bloodwise or otherwise) shouldnt he have been sitting where Andy Serkis is sitting? just a thought.

9. Smile_youS.O.B

Smile_youS.O.B Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2014
    I like him, and he looks like he could play anyone's offspring or relative.

I just found out his dad is Brendon Gleeson, and they were in Harry Potter together. That's pretty cool.

DarthScully, T-R- and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  10. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    In my mind, it's pretty certain that he'll be the lead... even if it is not obvious in the movie at first. Like I could see him being a Han Solo type of character at first who later becomes a jedi and is the chosen one or w/e.

Trebor Sabreon and T-R- like this.
  11. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    He could also be the Kenobi character that is rumored to be the movie, he does look a bit like Mark Hamill, but he also does bear a resemblence to McGreggor and Guiness.

12. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    http://www.independent.ie/entertain...ng-irish-actor-domhnall-gleeson-30235665.html

VERY interesting revelation about his casting in this article. Seems he was a last minute addition and find for JJ and the producers. Could this explain why he isn't listed as one of the first 3 names in the announcement? Because he was a last minute addition and they just had to add his name into the text last minute?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Revanfan1, ChildOfWinds, T-R- and 3 others like this.
  13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I've always thought Luke wouldn't be married or have offspring in the ST, but claiming Obi-Wan had a secret family does undermine the piety associated with his character.

14. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yep. Terrific young actor who has recently begun taking on leading man roles.

As to good or evil? I've seen some stills where Domhnall has a look about him that makes you think he could pull off playing a villain. And who knows, maybe he'll struggle with the dark side before ultimately fully embracing the light?

That said, actually watching his performances? I agree with your assessment. "Innate goodness." Yes, that's a good way of putting it.

DarthScully and T-R- like this.
  15. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    In the official pic from the table reading Gleeson appears to have rather dark hair. Anyone else notice? Or is it just me?

T-R- likes this.
  16. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

It is because of the black and white photo.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

T-R- and Dewback like this.
  17. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Now this is very interesting, indeed.

Remember we heard much talk recently of how the male lead part was the one role still not having being cast? Well, if, as Domhnall says:

"Within just two days the Dubliner discovered that he was confirmed for the seventh installment of the hit sci-fi franchise and joined some of the world’s most famous film personalities for a cast reading."

I mean, two days? He almost certainly must have been the last role filled. Maybe it's just a case of my telling myself what I want to hear, but I think this may be a clue to the identity of our male lead.

T-R- and Luukeskywalker like this.
  18. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Just had another thought re: this article. I recall the variety report that listed the 5 actors up for the lead roles that included Plemons and Speelers presumably for the role Glesson ultimately won and Ray Fisher and Boyega up for the other role. I remember the article said these are the lead candidates as of now but JJ was still keeping options open and continuing to cast a wide net for other potential talent out there for the roles. Boyega ended up landing the other role, but there were rumblings that the reason an announcement hadn't come was because one of the roles wasn't locked down yet. Alan Horn even basically said the same thing a week and a half ago. That was probably THIS role. This now is adding up, and this I think IS one of the 3 leads in the form of Luke's son...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

19. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Why? My sister has kids but I don't, and I doubt I will. No one asks "WTF" about that. Not everyone wants children or finds someone they want to have children with. Why is it that Luke would HAVE to have children if Obi-wan did?

Mystery Roach likes this.
  20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The WFT is because Ben was shown as a desert hermit watching over Luke and never mentioned a family/children, there was no hint that he had one, as of the end of RotJ. Luke was only 23 and knew the force was strong is his family. Given the 2 characters and their circumstances as shown in episodes 1-6, which character would you expect to have children 35 years later?

Clearly the answer is Luke.

Rabs, ChildOfWinds, TKT and 3 others like this.
  21. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I can definitely see him playing Luke's son. I think the Obi-Wan thing will likely turn out to be just the rumor mill and internet echo chamber confirming each other in the absence of real information. The Episode VII equivalent of all those great PT rumors. I don't really get the angst over Luke possibly having a son older than Daisy Ridley. Who says Daisy Ridley is the oldest child of Han and Leia (if she is one at all)? Adam Driver may also turn out to be a child of Han and Leia and he's the same age as Gleeson. Who says that Han and Leia had to go make their babies immediately after the end of Jedi?

22. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

So that means Kenobi didn't have any human interaction at all from the end of RotS until he meets Luke?

And who says he knows about any children he may have? And if he does, when would it come up? "Your destiny lays along a different path then mine. The force will be with you, always. And, and look up George Kenobi when you get the change, he is my son".

So because you and some poeple think Luke is more likely to have kids, it MUST be so?

23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    It might have come up when he told Luke about Leia as 1 example of people to train.

Seriously, which one takes the least amount of explaining? A 23 year old Galactic Savior meets a woman and starts a family or a 65 year old dead Jedi monk had a secret family and never talked about them?

Gerdschroder likes this.
  24. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Assuming he knew about his child/children, and wanted them involved in what was going on.

Why does it HAVE to meant hat Kenobi had a secret family?

And I bet in 1978 you probably thought having kenobi lie and Lukes father being the Drath Vader who turned evil was less likely then vader just being hte bad guy and Kenobi being truthful when he told Luke what happened.......I mean, which needs more explaination in Episodes 5 and 6?

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    If you never heard about them in Episodes 1-6, then they are a secret

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.