main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    All I know is I loved him in Harry Potter.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He is Irish and was in Dredd. He is already my favorite Star Wars character ever.

3. Indy 11

Indy 11 Jedi Padawan

Nov 4, 2012
    I think that might just work. It could actually work out very well if done right. It'd add story some mystery going into the ST. Maybe it could be a recent event. It would be interesting watching Ben deal with that loss right at the start. Of course they can also say she pulled a Padme.. (The whole childbirth scenario), but that'd be unoriginal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Its a narrative cheat. But it can be meaningful if you make her presence felt. Like for example, she could be the reason why Luke gave up his journey as a Jedi Knight for example.

5. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Or the reason that Skywalker's son isn't fully trained, or having problems with being a Jedi. It could just give the younger Skywalker a bit of haunted element to his character, something which I think Gleeson could really pull off well.

6. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I just read an article on Schmoes Knows Best that breaks down each actor and who they might be playing. This article speculates that Gleeson is playing Luke's son and quotes EW as stating that he is a good guy that turns into a bad guy. I looked for this quote at EW and couldn't find it. Anyone else see it? If this isn't speculation by them and is some sort of inside info, this could be very interesting and point to the possibility of the father having to save and redeem the son as opposed to the other way around. Interesting....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Trebor Sabreon and T-R- like this.
  7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Some people cannot even entertain the possibility that Luke won't have any children. Luke has a son that turns to evil-very repetitive and unoriginal. Maybe they just plain abandoned that idea altogether.

The idea of Luke having met someone, had a romantic relationship, and losing the person is possible-what WHAT a VOID there would be in not showing that. The most beloved hero in SW lost the love of his life and now she's gone. People will feel cheated.

And if Luke just had a "fling"? Well.....you may as well put that on Obi-Wan to keep Luke pure.

I am almost 99% convinced that Domhal will be related to Obi-Wan and that was a last minute casting decision based on the new concept to replace the grand daughter theory.

8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I hope he is related to Luke and that he and Mara were together. Considering I know I read somewhere that she might show up in Rebels.

Trebor Sabreon and T-R- like this.
  9. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I can certainly see a scenario where Luke doesn't have a son and Gleeson is playing someone unrelated. It is certainly a possibility, though I hope that is not the case. I want him to have a son and the son be the central character along with Boyega and Daisy. One thing I hope is not true would be Obi-Wan being his father. To me that would be totally unnecessary and shoehorned in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

10. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that the Obi-Wan rumor is a massive red-herring... It's either intentional disinformation to throw people off the track, or just a rumor whipped up by idle speculation. (Unless you buy into some of the really off the wall rumors about Obi-Wan's life between Return of the Sith and A New Hope)

At least I hope it is. If you want to talk about someone that was a rather hard-line adherent to the Jedi Code, that'd be Obi-Wan, not Luke.

Luke is a wizened figure in a lot of ways by Return of the Jedi (lets just say ESB left major scars) but he never really seems capable of rejecting attachments. If anything the films really seem to support Luke as believing that family is important. The idea that Luke is some sort of 'pure' Jedi is ludicrous anyway if you look at his actions in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

As for Luke having lost his wife already... considering so many people these days are in one parent or split households anyway, it may just make a lonely son of Skywalker all the more appealing to the audience. If the Galaxy had fragmented after the Empire's fall, if it's clear from the start that peace hasn't completely reigned since Endor, having a Jedi die in the intermediate time frame would actually be kind of expected.

11. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Wow-people really ARE fixated on Luke having a son!

DarthScully, Dewback and Momotaros like this.
  12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    not anymore than those fixated that he doesn't

13. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Yeah,some are setting themselves up for a disappointment.

14. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    Obi-Wan was 'that dude' during the CW and did have feelings for a certain woman that died at the hands of Maul... Obi 'my hair never gets messed up'-Wan was a smooth dude.. you never know..

...but in all reality it has to be Luke's son. I hope the name 'Ben Skywalker' is in the film, more so for the EU shout out. Although I'd be perfectly ok with him being related to Ben Kenobi or his kid; or perhaps *insert athletic 20 something Caucasian woman* as Niece.

Obi-Wan is my favorite Jedi and -just like Ep3 novel describes him as, if I remember correctly off da dome
    'the Ultimate Jedi, the Epitome of what it is to be Jedi, every Padewan was taught to emulate Obi-Wan'...blah blah yeah we now he's dope move on..

Of all the Jedi throughout the EU*cough* Legends, Old/Galactic Republic or even earlier, he always seemed to be the perfect Jedi Knight. I cant see Kenobi's character having a kid.

on another note, is' Kenobi' axed?=EU?

15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

Trebor Sabreon and Darth PJ like this.
  16. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    What excatly am I going to be disappointed about?

17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    [face_laugh]

18. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    lol... Now, can we get back to discussing the topic at hand instead of the endless debate on if Luke would have kids or not?

Honestly I haven't seen Gleeson in much besides Harry Potter, so I'm not that familiar with his abilities, but one of the articles mentioned him playing a lot of 'dutiful son' sort of roles. Of all of the cast, I'm pretty sure he's the least likely to be the one to go to the Dark Side. I can't recall him ever playing villain of any sort.

Trebor Sabreon, ChildOfWinds and T-R- like this.
  19. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014

He has a pretty good acting range--here he is in Dredd as a guy who's forced to control a surveillance network. He looks like he's about to **** his pants the entire movie.

[​IMG]

20. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Yes, thank you. There is no doubt. Gleeson is a Kenobi.

Kanan likes this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    He could be anybody. Heck he could be a Fett for all we know.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    this might sound shallow, but whatever role he plays-- can he at least keep his ginger hair? i really like his shade of red [face_tee_hee]

23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Son of Skywalker.....

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    If 'Mara Jade' is in the mystery box, I'm going to find George Lucas's famous hammer* and nail that sucker shut....

*the Hammer George wanted to use to destroy every copy of the Holiday Special with.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  25. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I am most interested in Gleeson's character. Isaac leaves me cold, but Gleeson pikes my interest. He fits the mold of a rogue, edgy Jedi who does his own thing.

I kind of like him as someone who has his own black market business-maybe on Tatooine-kinda a Han type but who secretly has Jedi powers. Then we find out more about his background later and realize he IS a Kenobi.

I stand by my assumption that he is TOO old to be a Skywalker and that would create an annoying gap if we didn't get to see Luke's relationship with the mother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.