main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 22, 2015.

1. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Hux was a completely different character in TLJ than TFA.

2. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Hux wasn't even the same character in the first two minutes and the rest of the movie.

3. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    You mean TFA Hux isn't a parody of TFA Hux? :p

[​IMG]

4. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Strange that people think he plays no important role in TLJ when he was the one who engineered the situation involving tracking the resistance. Does nothing noteworthy for the FO in TFA, but idk I guess TLJ sucked so bad people forget things like that :(

5. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    "Wonders never cease" and "Do you think you got him?" are deal breakers for me. I think his role continued to improve as the movie went on.

MJ

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I loved both those lines. *That* is the Hux I know.

7. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I like him cool and calculating with a touch of sardonic humor.

8. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Different? I saw the same character -- petty and fighting with kylo Ren. Inexperienced with battle, impulsive, trigger happy, elitist, arrogant, and stubborn and ready to suck up to whomever is in power.

No wonder he's the butt of poe's joke

9. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016
    Did you watch his facial expressions and gestures? He looked like a Saturday morning cartoon character rather than an Imperial officer.

oncafar likes this.
  10. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I want to see this as a half hour comedy show or animated like forces of destiny in little 2 minute snippets on disney's new streaming service. Something like Perfect Strangers or The Odd Couple. Kylo force strangling Hux could be the running gag. Or like the road runner and coyote.

Hux can lay out a trap for Kylo Ren and it backfires. Sending him poisoned food. Sabotaging his tie fighter. Shaving his head or messing with his weights. Cuz....does kylo even lift bro? Maybe Hux joins him in the gym and swaps a thermal detonator for a kettle bell.

Then Hux can go write about it in his journal. "Today I almost killed Ren....again. But he took of his shirt in the Finalizer's gymnasium and I got distracted again....."

The ideas are endless.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  11. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    Precisely. Domhnall Gleeson hammed it up. He showed what a poor general he is

12. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I think in a way TLJ was too close to SW Rebels for comfort in some scenes?

LordDallos likes this.
  13. LordDallos

Feb 2, 2016

Completely different that the stern-faced grimace we get from him the entire time in TFA. It wasn't a ham up. It was a personality shift.

godisawesome likes this.
  14. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    Tomato Tomahto.
    I didn't see personality shift.

"Careful Ren....don't let your personal feelings interfere with orders from leader Snoke"
    "Ren believed that the droid was no longer valuable and that the girl was all we needed"
    "Lieutenant get back to your station!"
    "Even Hux is gone"
    "Dispatch all fighters..." Sad face at battle of starkiller base
    "The collapse of the planet has begun"

I loved the way he said "your precious princess" long live Leia

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I loved Captain Canady. The very British commander of the Dreadnaught. Obviously a practical military man from the old Empire (according to Wookieepedia).

This contrast showing that they did a good solid commander in the Old Empire days, but now... Just look at the Evil Leaders he has to work with. Not like the good old days with Tarkin and Vader.

He'd be muttering to himself "Bloody Amateurs."

16. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    "Target their cruiser" - Perfect! :D

MJ

GregMcP likes this.
  17. Rhyoth

Dec 20, 2015
    Huh ???
    You must have missed the moment where the guy blew up 5 FREAKING PLANETS and basically DESTROYED the REPUBLLIC (!)

TFA made a point to show it was his plan, his project : Snoke simply allowed him to push through (but the topic seemed to bore him more than anything).

godisawesome and oncafar like this.
  18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I think Snoke was excited by the proposal they blow up the Republic. It lifted his spirits after the loss of the droid from Jakku.

19. Rhyoth

Dec 20, 2015
    His body language suggests otherwise : sitting down, basically handwaving Hux away ... just so he could talk with Kylo about the awakening. Clearly, his priorities were Luke and the "Force stuff".

His atttude was radically different when ordering the attack on D'Qar : that's when he was truly invested. The contrast between the two scenes is staggering.

oncafar likes this.
  20. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    I like the actor but the writing has hampered him.

The FO just don't feel like a threat.

Chewies_bandolier and oncafar like this.
  21. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    And that's the best part of it!

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I know it's cheesy, but I like it when Ren Force-pushes Hux against the wall toward the end. Aren't those two about the same age? Lots of toxic masculinity in them, I'd say. Hux is partially meant to get thrown around by whoever is the Supreme Leader. One of my favorite moments in the film is when Amilyn Holdo blasts through the Supremacy and the First Order fleet. Hux just couldn't prevent it. He messed with the wrong woman.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This thread now covers both TFA and TLJ.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Hux is a parody of all wannabe dictators really.

oncafar likes this.
  25. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I actually love Canady too, but I think the contrast between him and TLJ's version of Hux best illustrates why some of us perceive Johnson as defanging Hux for cheap laughs and damaging his credibility.

TFA Hux, while given to hammy speeches when destroying whole planetary systems, is energetic, practical, and to the point. He gave the speech while rightly convinced that none of his targets even knew where he was, and every other scene in TFA featuring him displays him cutting tit he chase and immediately trying to bring the hammer down on his opponents. He's commanding the Star Destroyer's attack on Finn and Poe's fighter with cold logic and professionalism, then he's launching every single TIE fighter they have to defend Starkiller Base, and he spends every dialogue scene in the film arguing for the most straight forward and pragmatic course of action, deliberately contrasting with Kylo Ren's obsessiveness over Luke, and repeatedly scoring point with Snoke on the basis of "I have a hammer, and I say we use it" for a philosophy.

That's not to say he can't be an inexperienced idiot of a commander, but more that the character as written by Lawrence Kasdan seems more given to bull headed recklessness, instead of overly cautious and gloating as he is in TLJ. TFA Hux probably would have immediately tried to kill Poe when dropping out of hyperspace and bringing in the Dreadnaught, like that How It Should Have Ended joke went. TFA Hux probably wouldn't have minded sending every available TIE fighter at the Raddus when the Space Chase starts, because that's exactly the kind of immediate brute force response that Kasdan would write him having, because that makes him dangerous and intimidating while remaining fallible.

Johnson, meanwhile, immediately has the character just gloat and waste time, and fail to even appropriately react to Poe attacking the Dreadnaught. He then has him slowly chase the Resistance around when there's no real logical reason to not just cut them off with some of the Star Destroyers and kill them, and only really brings back some of the expected professionalism and genuine threat level once Snoke is dead... Mostly so he can contrast with the now unintimidatingly unstable Kylo as Supreme Leader.

Rian Johnson could have kept Hux's edge from TFA while still making him a fool; just have Hux launch fighter to where Poe is before h activates the booster, leaving them far behind him, or write a better space chase that doesn't rely so heavily on plot induced stupidity.

Stuff like this is why I argued TFA was better than TLJ in the podcast in my signature. Give it a listen?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018