main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah but some people act like he was a stark-raving lunatic in every scene, which he wasn't. And I saw it more as very self-confident/arrogant myself.

2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Oh, definitely not a lunatic. His anger was deep and visible, but controlled. Until he unleashed it for the purposes of giving a rousing, anger-filled speech.

nightangel likes this.
  3. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016

I feel like constant exposure to Kylo might have that effect on you...

4. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002

[face_laugh] Poor Kylo .. and Hux.

I wonder if we'll see Papa Hux in VIII .. I mean - unless he was on SKB before it blew up (I somehow doubt this).

He does seem a bit doomed though I would cheer out loud if he slaps Kylo on the helmet at some point ... however you he may like it, Kylo owes his continuing existence to two peope: Rey (who didn't cut him down when she could've) and Hux (for rescuing him). Must be very annoying ..

nightangel and Dame sans merci like this.
  5. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I love Hux...agree he is probably doomed which is too bad. So much potential there. I imagine him as being brainwashed early just like the stormtroopers, except he was not trained to be a battle drone because they noticed a certain brilliance and charisma in him that tapped him to be much more. I could easily see him bringing as much passion were he on the side of the good guys. (He'd no doubt be hated as an uptight, arrogant jerk though - I could see someone like Han constantly mocking him, but overall respected lol). My hope is that his ending is more ambiguous...like an explosion where we never see a body... Just in case[face_thinking]. Of course, if he gets run through onscreen by a lightsabre (maybe Kylo and Luke join forces and kill him at the same time lol) then I will have to mourn. Long live General Hux.

6. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    ^ I think that Snoke will do a Sidious / Anakin on him and cooly tell Kylo to stand up to Hux ... at which point, Kylo will errr ram his lightsabre through him?

(that didn't come out the way I had intended... [face_blush])

7. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    It's alright, Chewie. Given that this ship has the highest number of TFA fics on the biggest fanfiction archive (!), i'd say you're in good company...;)

8. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    ^ I have NO idea what you are referring to ... [face_whistling]

;)

Dame sans merci likes this.
  9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd imagine that his father being such a big deal with the Imperial Remnant got Hux some special treatment as well. And then his natural intelligence/ruthless efficiency took it from there.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002

My headcanon has it that the young lad was indoctrinated/ raised from birth to lead the FO - though I suspect that the Papa issues are still there. He was hot-housed to be a leader with some lucky genetics thrown in. And that ginger cat.

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The special treatment of Hux was his bad guy internship in Tele Tubby Land
    [​IMG]

B99 and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  13. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Wouldn't it be great if the got Domhnall's father Brendan to play Hux's father if he shows up?

JabbatheHumanBeing and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I always kind of thought Hux's father was meant to be an homage to him, since his name is Brendol.

Darth Nave likes this.
  15. Darth Nave

Dec 27, 2015
    I think so too. It can't just be a coincidence.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Brendol Hux? That's a name perfect for a space opera like Star Wars and definitely a combo between the first names of the real-life father and son duo - Brendan and Domhnall Gleeson! ^:)^

And like what Darth Nave said, how nice if Brendan makes an appearance in the coming episodes as who else but his son Domhnall's character's father... =D=

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  17. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Yes, please. One of my favorite actors.

Darth Nave and darklordoftech like this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if they should have made Brendol Hux the official leader of the First Order with Snoke being the power behind his and Kylo's throne.

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Hey, it could still happen. Snoke may be "Supreme Leader" but do we even know if he holds official power? He could be the behind-the-scenes leader that only a select few outside the FO know about (i.e. Leia and Han), with Brendol being the official face of the FO.

11-4D and darklordoftech like this.
  20. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    the room where snoke's hologram was projected had rows of seats though where i'm guessing the rest of the first order peeps are supposed to sit whenever he briefs them on whatever

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Darth Nave

Dec 27, 2015
    It does make you wonder, since he was supposedly one of the FO's founders. It's likely he's either a). retired or b). dead (maybe Snoke made Hux Jr. kill his father like he did with Kylo Ren).

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Or he's hanging out on Snoke's mobile base. Starkiller Base isn't the capital of the First Order.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    (I'm posting here because it's relevant to the discussion at hand - I'd love to get people's thoughts on this!)

In General Hux and Kylo Ren, you have two men characterised by fanaticism, power and - more intriguingly - youth. Their very faces are jarring - Kylo Ren’s soft, attractive features aren’t what you expect from the dark side enforcer of the First Order, just as Hux’s petulant sneer isn’t especially befitting of the General of the First Order. You wonder why and how these young men came to become figureheads of the organisation poised to assume control of the galaxy.

In line with this, I’m interested in exploring two central possibilities:

1. That Hux and Kylo were both integral to Snoke’s assumption of control of the First Order.
    2. That, as part of this, Hux murdered his father, as Kylo went on to murder his.

The First Order itself has clearly been in existence for a long time as of the events of The Force Awakens. Finn, who is 23 when we meet him, was taken from his family (by the First Order) as an infant. That alone is solid confirmation that the First Order has been a sinister and operational force in the galaxy for at least two decades.

As is clear from the iconography of the First Order, it arose from the ashes of the Empire - the people behind its inception were, in large part, former Imperials seeking to rebuild their lost military might and regain control of the political sphere. But what is most interesting in relation to this is that the puppet master behind the First Order - as of TFA - is no Imperial, but rather Supreme Leader Snoke.

The limited evidence we have suggests that Snoke has not always been behind the First Order. In Bloodline, which is set six years before TFA, Snoke is conspicuous in his absence. Lady Carise, a First Order sympathiser who covertly plays a part in galvanising old officers and procuring ships from the former Imperial fleet, betrays not even the slightest awareness of a dark-side figurehead behind the organisation. This is likely to be for one of two reasons:

1. Snoke’s involvement in the First Order is kept highly under wraps.
    2. Snoke had not yet assumed control of the First Order.

We know too little at the moment for one theory to have more weight than another, but let’s - for the purposes of this discussion - pursue the second avenue. This is a scenario where Snoke, in effect, staged a coup to take control of a rising military power that had arisen independent of his direct control. In this scenario, Snoke is someone who is playing the long game, quietly observing and subtlety manipulating those around him before determining a strategy of affirmative action. And I find it plausible that the young Master Hux will have been Snoke’s means of assuming control of the First Order, just as the infant Ben Solo would - after the investment of considerable time and patience - eventually provide him with the tool he needed to destroy the work of Luke Skywalker and prevent the true return of the Jedi.

The Visual Dictionary provides ultimate goals for Kylo and Hux that are strikingly similar. Kylo “sees it as his birthright to rule the galaxy”, while Hux “feels it is a matter of destiny that he be given a chance to sit on the throne that rules the galaxy”. We know that Snoke seduced Ben Solo to the dark side, most likely with appeals to his illustrious lineage and innate potential, and I find it an intriguing possibility that he also seduced the young Hux with similar appeals to his vanity and thirst for power. While Kylo will have been promised a chance to fulfil his potential in the Force and “finish what his grandfather started”, Hux will have been promised an opportunity to gain the power and influence he believes himself destined to possess.

I don’t wish to speculate on the specifics of how it happened, but I firmly believe that everyone - on the New Republic and First Order sides - was unaware of the true extent of the threat posed by Snoke until it was too late to stop him. I believe that, with a carefully stacked series of intrigues, Snoke successfully enticed Ben Solo - his raw talent in the Force inspiring obedience and quieting dissent to Snoke’s rule - to his side and effectively had Hux hand him the keys to the First Order. If these events did not happen simultaneously, they both happened within the same timeframe and were part of a single overarching plan. Since things seem to be relatively ‘as normal’ for Luke, Ben and the First Order as of Bloodline, I would speculate that the coup occurred shortly after the events of the novel.

Of course, it’s necessary to explain how Hux will have had access to power in the First Order in the first place (in order to allow Snoke access to it). Hux’s father, Brendol Hux, was an officer of the Republic’s army during the Clone Wars. He admired the training programme for the Jedi younglings and the smooth efficiency of the clonetroopers, and would go on to develop a military training regimen founded on both (in other words, papa Hux is the person who came up with the scheme that Finn was kidnapped into). We know almost nothing about him in terms of his personal life or his relationship with his son, only that his son must have been born when he was already well into middle age. When alluded to in Bloodline, he is suggested to be a mysterious figure with a senior role in the First Order. As his son, Hux will have had a privileged position and been given every opportunity to succeed. It’s likely that he ascended through the ranks quickly, though not quickly enough to sate his ambitions.

There is no mention of Brendol Hux in The Force Awakens, and he - much like Snoke in Bloodline - is conspicuous in his absence. You look at his son - the youth with the obscenely high-level position - and can’t help but wonder what became of his father. We have no canon information to go on when it comes to this, but we do have some very interesting remarks that Domhnall Gleeson has made in interviews. Of particular interest is this comment: “You don’t get that high up in your life that quickly unless you’re pretty ruthless. You have to put a few people down on the way to get there.” In other words, Hux’s position of remarkable power and influence is meant to be jarring precisely because it is not a position he earned on the basis of merit alone - he had to get people out of the way to leave the top spot open. Hux’s youth is not an accident of the casting process, but part of the plot. And I think the key person that Hux murdered - to win both command of the First Order and the approval of Snoke - was his own father.

Snoke makes it clear to Kylo that he must kill Han in order to pass a test of sorts, with the act meant to signal a final descent into the dark side. However, it’s also worth conceptualising it as the rejection of one father at the bidding of another. Snoke is suggested to have been a presence in Ben Solo’s life since he was a young child, and in the script he is described as speaking to Kylo in an “intimate” manner. In short, he projects himself as a new figure of paternal authority and indulgence, the true father that Kylo must prove his fealty to by ridding himself of the man who sired him. And if the ultimate test of loyalty for the young men under Snoke’s thrall is to kill the old father at the bequest of the new one, then I think it would make perfect sense for Hux to have already passed the test that we see Kylo agonise over in TFA. Hux is smug, assured and confident in a way that Kylo is not - he seems satisfied with his place under Snoke, and addresses him in terms of enraptured obedience and respect. While Kylo still secretly craves the light and love he left behind when he ‘destroyed’ Ben Solo, there is no suggestion that Hux has any master but Snoke.

And I think that’s because Snoke has operated cleverly by isolating both Hux and Kylo in order to make them beholden to him. He nurtured their ambitions and their dreams, providing them with the indulgence and inspiration that their real fathers would not. He promised them both the same prize - power, influence, fulfilment - and demanded the same price: the sacrifice of the old father for the new.

While this is only a theory, it’s one I truly hope becomes realised moving forward. As much I love seeing Hux and Kylo squabble and snipe at each other, I’m more interested in seeing their dynamic evolve going forward. And contrasting Hux - the consummate patricide, proud and unrepentant - with Kylo - the tragic figure, emotionally and physically broken by the deed that was meant to make him powerful - would be a fascinating direction to take it in.

24. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Good concept there... This means that Snoke can be something like a figurehead leader but the person controlling both him and that of the First Order is who else but Brendol Hux... Which can also explain how a young fellow like General Hux is able to occupy a top position in the FO!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003