main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 22, 2015.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
  2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    So it's Armitage Hux. Sounds reasonably Star Warsy.

3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    As of right now, the Kylux fandom is losing their minds over this new information.

4. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    That name works for Hux because of how pretentious it sounds.

5. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
  6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Why not just call him Armyborn?

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Armitage. Oh, it's too perfect. [face_laugh]

8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    After Count Dooku, Sheev Palpatine, General Grevious, Savage Opress, Darth Maul, Dexter Jetster, Kit Fisto, etc, this name doesn't sound so bad by comparison really.

9. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Darth Wookiee and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Funny. I thought of this guy:

[​IMG]

11. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Hmm. Perhaps Leader Snoke should consider using an Armie ... army.

12. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    'Armitage Hux' makes me think of 'Armitage Shanks'

[​IMG]

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I blame Wendig for "Rax Hux." No offense, but he doesn't strike me as the best or brightest author in the Lucasfilm shed...

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Gallius Rax isn't a Hux.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Oh, then scratch my comment. Thought he was a Hux.

Gallius Rax is a pretty good name, actually. A bit on the nose with the allusion to Rome/ Latinate honorifics (Gallius Rex), but it sounds good, and that's all that matters.

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    The etymology of "Armitage" is the word "hermitage," so I'm not sure why so many are going on about it being too close to "army." So the first three letters are "arm." Big deal.

Big Boss likes this.
  17. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    liking the name of the Hux's.

do we think any other Hux's will be shown in VIII? there's, what, 3-4 now in canon ? is Armitage the only one left, possibly why he's so intense in most of his speeches - and possibly why he hates the New Republic with such passion? was his father assassinated?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. Flex Madine

Flex Madine Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    I just don't get why there's so much less speculation on Hux than all of the other characters. It's equally puzzling due to how little Gleeson gets put in front of cameras to talk about Star Wars. Like its as simple as "oh he's the new imperial bad guy, who's younger.". I just don't buy it's that innocent.

Let's look at this:
    - Fairly prominent actor by the "newer" lead standards.
    - Has some visually interesting traits that could lend itself to a few possibilities
    - In canon comes from a line of imperials.... yet apparently was an illigitemate child? Mom unknown?
    - Seems to have no respect or fear for Kylo Ren
    - Seems to have a close relationship with Snoke but not fearful
    - Seems truly evil, unlike Ren. Not specifically suggesting dark side power, but seems truly undedeemable

That seems like an important character, which is played by an important actor. With little speculation.

But the most striking thing I noticed rewatching ep7 is that Rey meets virtually every major character who appears in the flesh in the movie - and doesn't seem to recognize any of them. At no point do her and Hux meet. Why? Would she recognize him?

19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Poe doesn't meet Hux as well, neither does Han, Leia, Maz , Chewie. Though Finn would know him. In fact the only major people who meet Hux in TFA are the bad guys themselves, Kylo, Snoke and Phasma. He's the glue that holds the bad guys together. Without him it would fall apart.

He probably doesn't meet Rey because she has nothing to do with his story.

20. Flex Madine

Apr 17, 2015
    I actually meant it the other way - where Rey meets virtually everyone else. I don't know that she is technically on screen with Poe but they would have been at the base together and nothing major implied.

There is also a suspicious lack of Hux in the Making Of art book. Did they always know the plan? Why are we not allowed to know the thought process?

21. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Hux undoubtedly saw Kylo bring in Rey's unconscious body. He was fully aware of Kylo interrogating her and failing when he talked to talk. So Hux has seen Rey, but she hasn't seen him. Same thing with Poe and Hux was standing right outside his interrogation room.
    Hux showed no concern for Rey but when Starkiller was crumbling he did admit to Snoke that Kylo was right about the girl being powerful
    You're right about nothing on Hux in the Art of force awakens book.

We do know as far back as Arndt's script they were looking for someone in their mid30s to play him.
    Also remember Domnhall was the last guy to get his part just two days before the table read.

22. Flex Madine

Apr 17, 2015
    It does seemingly remove SOME possibilities since Hux was apparently born before the Battle of Endor, but I found the inclusion of Hux being an illigitemate child (at the very least) interesting. And that we know his father seemed very interested in taking kids from birth and molding them. The latter Hux seemed like a somewhat big guy in the Empire but nowhere near the tippy top. His "son" is at the tippy tippy top of the chain. I dunno.

Besides considering who Hux is or isn't, it seems like he and Snoke have things they don't share with Kylo. Even Snoke talking about completing Kylo's training seems like a peculiar thing to say. Maybe that was just a plot way to get Snoke to be able to mention that on screen, but it's interesting.

I guess what I'm saying is - how is it that Hux only gets 5 pages? What do people think his arc is? Angry son of a stormtrooper trainer?

23. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    He and Kylo might hate each other more or might come to more of a understanding.
    Hux admitted to Snoke that Kylo was right about the scavenger girl being powerful but Hux is also the one who saved Kylo from Starkiller exploding. They owe each other now.

Hux also probably is severely angry at Finn. More so than Kylo. Not only did this lowly trooper break away from his proposed stormtrooper program but he helped destroy his precious Starkiller base.

But I hope to see more of Hux being a strategist now. Now since he can't just fall back on Starkiller weapon.

Hux has so far has surpassed both Tarkin and his father Brendol by getting more accomplished and not dying so early in the trilogy.

24. Flex Madine

Apr 17, 2015
    Hux and Finn having their big story arcs against each other would be a disappointment. It would make some logical sense from a "diametric opposite viewpoints of the Brendol Hux worldview" dynamic, but it would seem like a waste of two interesting characters. Finn in particular would seem to be a wasted opportunity if his big "feud" was against jilted First Orderers.

I'm of the opinion that Hux and Snoke are two of the tiny few who know exactly who Rey is.

25. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016

Pablo tweeted a little while back that he assumed Hux had the powerful position he does due to 'nepotism'. And that sort of whirled around in my brain because...Snoke is in charge of the FO, no? Why would he would somebody unworthy of command such a position because of a familial or emotional attachment? What exactly is the role of Brendol Hux in all this, that his influence is still felt like that in ensuring his son's career?

nonesuch likes this.