main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Well, who else would be the third lead if not Gleeson?

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Lurknomore likes this.
  3. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    If I had to guess, I'd say he was up for Domhnall's role. If you look at the contenders for John Boyega's role, they all had a stocky/muscular build. That would makes sense because the role is rumored to be a stormtrooper. Domhnall and Dev Patel have similar builds to each other. They're both tall and skinny.

We know Dev auditioned in April. We also know Domhnall won the role a day before the table read.

4. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Ah, yes, him. Poor guy. Everyone keeps forgetting about him.

5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I think Ridley, Driver and Boyega´s roles were the first to be cast. If Patel was up for a role three weeks before the cast reveal, it is pretty clear he was not up for Driver nor Boyega´s part. Indeed, the only part that suits him is Dom´s one.

6. ksb36

ksb36 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2014
    I think this is the role Jesse Plemons from Breaking Bad auditioned for. Tall, fair young men. They must have had second thoughts about Plemons because Gleeson came out of nowhere and landed the part.

7. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I think Plemons could have been up for Boyega´s role too.

8. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    As I said in Daisys thread, you guys need to remember there may not have been specific parts before these guys auditioned or were cast. They may have cast actors and then written parts around them. So it would be wise, even if its accurate, to think differently about being up for others' roles

coxie0520 likes this.
  9. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Haven`t the completed the scrpit before starting the casting?

10. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Trust me, this was definitely NOT the case. On a huge franchise like Star Wars, you're supposed to have your story set. Changing characteristics based on the actor would be unwise, especially before filming even begins. Gender Swapping is an exception because nothing about the characteristics of the role changes except for the gender.

Satipo likes this.
  11. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014
    This is what happened when JJ assembled the LOST cast; Dominic Monaghan and Jorge Garcia I believe originally auditioned for the role of Sawyer but JJ rewrote the character of Charlie for Monaghan and created Hurley for Garcia.

It wouldn't surprise me if he tweaked the Episode VII characters to fit particular actors he liked.

Ryus, Hoggsquattle, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    And there was the Arndt/JJ re-write, however involved a process that was.

Also, casting was well underway Summer of 2013, and yet the script wasn't even finalized until January of 2014.

Point being, I'm not really sure what the hell to think about any of it.

13. thisguyisnotajedi

thisguyisnotajedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2014
    Probably. Phlemons signed onto another movie in early April.

Lurknomore likes this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Speaking of Monaghan, wasn't it rumored about a year ago that he might be in VII? I wonder if he was up for Gleeson's role.

coxie0520 and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  15. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014
    I knew those rumors were too good to be true. Charlie Pace is one of my favorite fictional characters ever. My head would have exploded if Dom Monaghan was in Star Wars :D

I guess I'm derailing the thread for the other Dom at this point :) :p

16. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm bored the rumors.

I found it in Twitter two Dom' pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    @Varinnia
    how old are these pictures?

18. Varinnia

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't know

Between 2011 and 2014. Maybe?

starocean90 likes this.
  19. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Lol, the chap on the bus in front of me is the absolute spit of Dom, its really scary how much it looks like him. But I'm doubting it is. Maybe I should ask him who he's playing :D

Ryus, TheBBP, Trebor Sabreon and 3 others like this.
  20. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    he's sad that he's in star wars...

21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

You should sit right behind him. Start saying "Dom? Dom is that you?" If you get a reaction then that is your answer.

If you don't. You simply yell out : "Dom Deluise what are you doing here?!" You then proceed to have a lengthy conversation with the ghost of Dom Deluise. Make sure to reference "Cannonball Run" to add to the authenticity.

Also, make sure you are surrounded by a bunch of stay cats. You have to smear bright red lipstick on your face and don't bathe for a couple of a days.

22. Varinnia

Jul 15, 2014
    Trebor Sabreon and starocean90 like this.
  23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    @Varinnia
    Thanks for the link.
    Here are the Star Wars tidbits :
    But buzz is already building over his starring role in Star Wars[​IMG]: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams.
    Domhnall Gleeson the day after the Met Gala in New York City and just a week after the Irish actor, best known for passionate turns in small roles, has been cast in what could be a king-making role, in Star Wars: Episode VII.

Gleeson proposes this as if we might actually go out to his parents’ place in Dublin. It is endearing, and not entirely true, but it bespeaks an actor not yet in tune (or perhaps unwilling to acknowledge) the wave of attention that Star Wars will bring. “Not everything’s changed for me,” Gleeson says, cautiously. “This has happened a couple of times, where people have said to me, ‘Everything changes now,’ and everything doesn’t change. Everything’s always gradual.”
    And yet he has maintained a low profile with purpose, withholding personal information not just for his sanity but also for his craft. “Your only job, really, is to give as good a performance as you can in the movie and then not have people know enough about you away from it that it will inform their opinions of you when they sit down to watch you in a film the next time,” Gleeson says

VMeran, Ryus, CairnsTony and 3 others like this.
  24. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I'd've leant forward and said, "Conas atá tú, a Dhomhnaill?" (How are you, Domhnall?) :D

25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    So, I was just wondering, does the new rumor that we might see an "Emperor" in VII, but one not played by Ian McDiarmid, have anyone thinking Gleeson as a Palpatine clone?

The reason I ask is both the ginger connection between Dom and a young Ian, and the fact that Gleeson is so firm about not letting anything about the nature of his role slip.

Now, I don't necessarily see it, myself (I'm still sold on either a Skywalker, or an unrelated Jedi, for Dom), but I was curious what everyone else may be thinking?

Incidentally, my take on the rumor? If this unnamed "Emperor" really is Palpatine (in whatever form), then to me, no one should be playing him in a film, but Ian.

But that said, I think Max von Sydow might make an absolutely terrific new, unrelated Emperor; that is, an Imperial who ascended to the throne following Palpatine's demise at Endor. That could be awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.