main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Luke Skywalker = Major Role. Yoda from TESB = Significantly important Role.

2. kwisatzh

kwisatzh Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2014

JarJar = ?

3. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Redundant.

TKT likes this.
  4. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    If you read my posts before you jumped into the conversation, you'll notice when I considered the possibility of Gleeson being a droid that I also said "a role the size of Threepio in the OT or Jar Jar in TPM could work." But Sio Bibble isn't leagues behind Jar Jar in TPM. They're both supporting characters with significant amount of screen time. You may find him uninteresting, but that wasn't the intent of the filmmaker with as much screen time and dialogue as he got and thus why Oliver Ford Davies had 7th billing. Maybe that spot was too high for him, but he certainly wasn't spear carrier #3.

In regards to Mace Windu/Sam Jackson and my "original supposition," as far as TPM was concerned, he is a supporting player like Bibble and Panaka only with less screen time. In a reply after my Jar Jar/Threepio comment, I brought up that if they can get Sam Jackson to play Windu in TPM, they could get Gleeson to play a new droid. A droid which I had obviously figured could be the next Threepio or Jar Jar. Like I've said, while I doubt he's playing something the size of Handmaiden Rabe, I won't completely rule out Kitster because of the a past star wars script read. That goes for other actors at the script read too. Anything is possible.

In the post you jumped into the conversation on and partially quoted, I ran down a list of actors who were and weren't at the script read for TPM. I went in billing order and made sure to take it all the way down to Sam Jackson while at the same time editing out the Bravo pilots who got higher billing than Jackson. I didn't feel he'd be playing Bravo #3 or someone like your Spear Carrier #3. In my first reply to you I brought up Sam Jackson while saying that Gleesons role could be smaller in this film and expanded upon in the next.

If you think I've made your point by now referencing Mace Windu, then you haven't been paying attention. We just do not agree on the size of supporting roles.

Did you mean isn't? If not then we agree there. :p

As for the big 3, I'm leaning towards Ridley, Boyega, and Driver with Ford in the Qui-Gon role. If not Driver then I'm a bit split over Gleeson, Isaac, and Andersen. Clarke is just a complete mystery to me.

5. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Did I mean "isn't" where? For Driver? If so, then no I didn't.

What do you mean by the Qui-Gon role? Are you talking screen time and cast listing? What about Hamill and Fisher?

How is Anderson's role less off a mystery than Clarke's?

6. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    You said the guy playing the Boba Fett/Sio Bibble role IS going to part of that. As in IS going to be part of the script read that showcased the new actors. If you meant that, then we might agree.

For Ford, maybe not billing but in terms of screen time in relation to Ridley, Boyega, and Driver being the Obi-Wan, Padme, and Anakin. Hamill perhaps Palpatine and Fisher in the Shmi type role.

At least with Andersen we've been told he filmed at Puzzlewood and his twitter has been known to indicate a few times when he's filmed. On the same Anthony Daniels posted that he had wrapped on Threepio, Andersen's twitter retweeted his wife and brother stating he finally took them to the set. Doesn't mean they filmed together but we can speculate. Then of course the Imaginarium stuff at least gives us something to speculate with even if it doesnt all fit or leads in the wrong direction. We've essentially got nothing on Clarke.

7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Yes, I see that now. You are quite correct - that was a typing error on my part.

Yes, what I was saying was that the cast announcement was a big deal and major publicity for Star Wars new Disney era/first movie in a decade. The actors named will be playing major roles - they won't be supporting or minor characters like Boba Fett, Motti and Bibble.

What makes you think the Big 3 are no longer the Big 3 or that Ford's role is so much more significant than Hamill or Fisher's?

I get you. However, Twitter use by the actors is very far from a reliable indicator. Not that the actors are doing it on purpose, but Twitter use is only giving an illusion.

For example, Ridley used it quite a bit and Gleeson not all - fans are left with the impression that Ridley's role is more significant than Gleeson's. However, this isn't true. What it actually means is just that Gleeson isn't on Twitter ;)

aleja2 likes this.
  8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I will be staggered if Disney wants the Big three has their leads to carry the ST forwards. They will may key roles no doubt but I have no doubt VII is going to be passing the torch to the next generation.

CairnsTony likes this.
  9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Not for the whole Trilogy - just the "leads" in Episode VII.

I believe Hamill, Ford and Fisher will have top billing.

10. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    Because I understand there are no hard and fast rules that determine whether a role is "supporting" or not. Not even the academies that give out acting awards have set in stone metrics. And it is still illogical to assume that Gleeson - and his advisors - would accept a minor, no real impact on the story role such as Tanaka or Sio Bibble. Or that he would then be included in the very staged Episode VII table read photo, which isn't so much a documentary representation of who was at the read (there were people present who weren't shown in the photo) as it was designed to announce to the world the cast members they wanted to announce and get lots of press mentions in return. Comparing this photo to the list of who was at the Episode I table read is a bit of a non-starter - the Episode I table read wasn't a PR opportunity like this one.

But - shrug - perhaps I also feel this way that's because I'm female and I just don't have an obsession with measuring things and comparing the length to others.

Silly me also thought this was the Domhnall thread, not the "list every actor in order of number of lines you think they've been assigned" forum.

starocean90 likes this.
  11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    The billing in the credits, maybe. I'm less interested in that sort of stuff than I am in who is driving the plot. Who are our lead protagonists.

12. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Since Lucasfilm told us we'd get a trio of new young leads, I figure not too many others will squeeze in there. But should one get the Qui-Gon role as opposed to Obi-Wan, Padme and Anakin, I figure it might be Ford based on the rumor sites. That's all.

As for twitter, I know it's not entirely reliable and I sure as hell am one to say that just because Boyega and Ridley are/were active on it, doesn't mean they're important. But when you have little else to work with other that rumor reports and where they've filmed and you're just speculating for fun, it wouldn't surprise me if they're part of the trio.

So you are saying that had the Episode 1 table read been a press event, they would have kicked Oliver Ford Davies and Hugh Quarshie out but kept Silas Carson, Andy Secombe, and Ahmed Best?

Oh and I know you know it's the Domhnall Gleeson thread. You rarely post anywhere else in this forum. So let's not talk about obsessions.

13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

My point is they'll be doing both.

It is a difficult one to predict - Star Wars has never had such a large primary cast or had to focus on two groups of leading actors - two Big 3's.

Not reliable at all - no one has used Twitter to drop any hints, but their Twitter activity have given people the false impression that they somehow more active on the set than others.

Also the rumours and location activity have equally given the false impression that some actors have smaller roles because they weren't in a certain forest or island. This isn't so - those actors may simply have the majority of their screen time filmed in Pinewood or a location shoot that the "spies" missed.

Echo Base likes this.
  14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    My point is, I think the young leads will be driving the plot (with Han alongside them at some point I think).

sterling3763 and Darth_Bertie like this.
  15. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Well Andersen brought up having fun at the Imaginarium the other day. It may or may not be a hint. Boyega used instagram to show us he was riding a camel in the desert. Carrie Fishers assistant used twitter and essentially told us that Maisie Richardson Sellers likely has a part in the movie.

But again, I agree with you. Just because they're having fun and talking, doesn't mean they're working at that moment and so on. Plus just because Boyega is in the desert, doesn't mean Peter Mayhew isn't there or Crystal Clarke for that matter. Or Mayhew isn't filming his desert scenes at Pinewood. etc

Well now I'm just curious. Your post speculates that there are 3 new leads and that you're putting money on Gleeson being the third. So who do you think the other two are and why?

16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

The other two new leads?

Ridley and Boyega. The announcement about three new leads specifically said they were young.

Clarke and Anderson are around the same age, but I don't believe the worldwide casting call was to seek out the lead actors. And the big announcement was to show the main cast. If Anderson and Clarke were two of the new Big 3, they'd be in the photo.

Driver is probably the "Darth Vader" - Max Von Sydow's henchman/son/puppet (takes MvS's place as trilogy moves on)

Issac is either an Alliance military officer or a shifty more criminal "Lando" type.

Gleeson does evil very, very well, and could be a bad guy but I think he is Big 3. :)

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  17. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    Dom's filming The Revenant, now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Episode VII ... filming ended [face_shhh]

Revanfan1, coxie0520 and starocean90 like this.
  18. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    do you know when The Revenant started filming?

19. Varinnia

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think a week.

20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    so that means that Gleeson most likely finished filming Episode VII.

21. Varinnia

Jul 15, 2014
    I think so and I suspect that general filming ended.

I think so. Of course I can always be wrong [face_thinking]

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    general filming is almost done, I think there's 2-3 weeks left (not sure).

23. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    I think it ends in a week and a half, when Williams begins his score.

24. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

If Abrams has a cut of the film right after completing filming, I'd be very surprised. Williams won't begin writing until he sees a decent cut of the film.

edit: He may have a meeting with Abrams and company though to discuss general things like scheduling.

25. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Even with as quiet as Abrams/LFL/Disney has been, I think they'll make an announcement when filming wraps. It would get big mainstream publicity without them having to give anything away plot or character wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.