main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Actually... JJ had to be talked into doing this recent Teaser according to the CEO of Disney... there was an article last week that said JJ didn't want to do the Teaser at all... assuming he was fine with waiting for a full trailer in April/May instead. The CEO said that JJ felt Star Wars sells itself, and didn't need a Teaser.

Seeher, DARTH_BELO and starocean90 like this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    and that's why JJ is obnoxious.:p

3. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Hey, we agree with the Disney CEO saying there should be a teaser, because we wanted to see footage of any kind as soon as possible... that doesn't mean JJ is wrong. Star Wars does sell itself, we're just a greedy lot!

4. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    it's not being greedy, there is no need for a mystery box for a known franchise, it just doesn't work (better for original stuff), and all other movies, start marketing and teasing more than a year before release, so....;)

anyways we are going off topic.:p

5. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    It's absolutely being greedy... especially since Star Wars didn't used to do it's first trailer until 6mo before release...

Over a year? That's us being downright spoiled!

Toonimator likes this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    doesn't matter if they used to do it or not we are in different times, different era, different company.;)
    anyways back on topic of Gleeson.

7. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    All I'm saying, you can't call JJ obnoxious for believing something that's pretty much true. We didn't NEED this teaser to get the movie out in the forefront... the simple number of views in such a short time shows that was going to happen no matter WHEN the first trailer was going to be released. JJ was right, but we're still glad to have the teaser anyway. ;)

Back to Gleeson... is there even anything to discuss about his involvement at the moment?

8. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    other than the current rumor that he's playing a Tarkin like imperial that is with Driver ("Vader") and that the both communicate with Serkis.;)

EviL_eLF likes this.
  9. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Isn't he a little young to be Tarkin? ;)

starocean90 likes this.
  10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    He does seem too young, but there is no age for war in SW.;)

EviL_eLF likes this.
  11. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    (in case you missed it, I was making a play on the "short to be a Storm Trooper" quote...) ;)

starocean90 likes this.
  12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Some here said he was speaking in past tense, but I think there's a shift in his answer.

First, he explains why he didn't expect to be in any hypothetical sequel, "because we had a beginning, a middle, and an end." That's one thing.

He then answers the question about the actual movie's trailer (is he surprised he's not in it?), explaining that because the trio is only acting in a supporting role to their offspring and the current generation now, he's not surprised by the focus.

I think he pretty clearly confirmed at least one of the original trio has a child/children in this film. Whether they feature prominently is a different question.

Immortiss and starocean90 like this.
  13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I think it means that the new trio are a mix of legacy and new.;)
    but he does say our, which means possibly him included.:D

14. Michaea

Michaea Jedi Knight

Nov 29, 2014

Joking aside, this is a good point. His young age does make him unlikely as a high ranking Imperial officer. Unless we get some further evidence of this, I am inclined to think that he will play some other role in the Empire more adequate to his age.

15. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Imagination is in our blood.

16. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I dont know Empire seems pretty big on nepotism and bribery

17. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    With all this rumors surrounding Boyega and Ridley´s characters, as we now know their names but not their full names, I would not rule out that the Skywalker offspring is one of them. I still think Ridley has all the odds to be a Solo, but Boyega might end up being a lost Skywalker son or whatever. Remember Lucas created Luke inspired by himself, and as he is now married to a black woman, he might have wanted that to be part of his saga.

Anyway, with rumors still talking about Luke being imprisioned for long years, I think if there is a new Skywalker it will just be to keep the name alive for the future.

nightangel likes this.
  18. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    Never lose hope ;) A younger Tarkin would be great.

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    By "our offspring" I'm sure he meant in a generic way. The new generation that comes from the old, whoever it is. He thought back to before the story was written and was referring to the fact that there would be offspring. He may also have spoken out of knowledge of the EU. So that statement by itself doesn't indicate whether HE has any offspring but rather that he assumed, when told there would be new movies, that there would be offspring of someone.

Seeher likes this.
  20. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Mark Hamill never read Legends, his son Nathan did.

21. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    So what is your argument here? Seems like you're trying to move the goal post. Either Gleeson's tenth place in the billing order is indicative of his character's importance in the film, or it is not. Either his character has a small role, as I am saying, or hie is playing an important character with a lot of screentime, as you seem to imply. And if that isn't your argument -- if you concede that Gleeson's role may indeed be as small as I'm saying -- then what are you trying to say?

So we agree that the discussion should be about what is LIKELY. Good. If your contending that throwing a bunch of "real world" gobbledygook about "favored nation" status, etc explains away Gleeson's tenth place in the billing order and makes it LIKELY he could be playing a major role in TFA, then I disagree.

OK, now this I can at least partly agree with. But I think given the current atmosphere in Hollywood -- where tentpole franchise films reign supreme -- even a rising young actor like Gleeson would be willing to accept a smaller role in the ST given how massively high-profile this film is going to be. Right now, more than a year before it's release, TFA is ranked at #1 of all the movies in the world on IMDB.

Just look at what recently happened with Batfleck. Ben Affleck is a big star, a respected actor, and an Oscar winner. Given that the last time he played a superhero was a disaster, why would he accept the part of another superhero (co-starring with Henry Cavill) in what looks to be a schlocky sequel to a bad movie? Why? Because it's a tentpole franchise. Man of Steel may have been a lousy film, but it made a lot of money. Franchise movies are automatically high-profile and get a lot of media attention. Apparently that's enough to lure some actors into playing parts that should be beneath them.

Nobody is screaming here (except for you) and nobody has said the current billing order is locked or that it means "everything." But given how consistent the billing has been so far, and given that Gleeson is SO far down in the pecking order, I think that means something. I think that gives us significant information about the importance (or lack thereof) of Gleeson's character in TFA. You don't. Fine.

I don't think it's that black and white. Unless you are Gleeson's agent, which you clearly are not, or you know Dom or his agent personally, you are not in any position to read minds or know their motivations for why Gleeson would accept a tenth-billed role in TFA. All you can do is guess, just as we all are doing here.

And I never said you did. Now who's using a strawman argument?

Fair enough. And I stand by my prediction that the current billing order will be at least pretty close to the final billing order. Meaning that Dom might graduate to seventh or eighth place at best. I stand by my prediction that there will be some correlation between the billing order and screentime/importance in this film. You think that's "ridiculous"? Fine. We disagree and time alone will tell who is right in this particular case.

I never said they were vetted by Iger, et al (though given the importance of this film as a "$4 billion movie" maybe he does looks at some of this before it goes out).

So because it's not "required to be legally correct" then somebody in the PR department at Disney/LFL just felt free to randomly place Gleeson second-to-last in the billing order three consecutive times -- in spite of a supposedly-final billing order where Gleeson should be much higher in the list? Yeah, that makes sense.

And I think it's dangerous to hang all your hopes on one example that supports what you want to be true.

Fine. The five actors who were featured in the trailer. No, it's not "official," but again Apple was clearly working in conjunction with Disney/LFL. So IMO, it does mean something.

No, but again, Apple clear was working with Disney/LFL when they put up that trailer. Plus both the major trades referred to Driver as "the villain." With THR reporting, "Adam Driver is in final negotiations to star as the villain in Star Wars: Episode VII."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/adam-driver-play-villain-star-683821

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-villain-adam-driver-girls-1201121646/

If you want to keep hanging onto the hope that Driver is not playing a major role, that's your business.

The other source was "Entertainment Weekly" -- not exactly a tabloid -- who said:

Even more significant, Han Solo won’t just be a walk-on. While Hamill and Fisher will boast strong supporting parts, Ford will join three of the young stars as one of the leads in the story, according to several sources close to the film.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/05/...-ford-and-han-solo-bury-the-lightsaber-essay/

But by all means, keep hanging onto those crumbs of hope that anything not "official" won't turn out to be true.

So did Beatrice Straight in Network. Hey, we agree on something! [face_party] I never said Gleeson's part couldn't be memorable or even pivotal to the plot. I just think it's going to be small, at least in Episode VII.

Skaddix and turnip white like this.
  22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Sam Jackson wanted to be in Star Wars so badly, he asked George to cast him even as a Stormie, just for the chance to be in it...

23. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Is Dom really the hot commodity aleja2 makes him out to be? No disrespect meant; he's been good in the minor roles I've seen him in (About Time, Dread, Harry Potter), but I never knew or heard others mention his name before the Star Wars casting. Does he really have so many opportunities that a minor role in TFA would be a waste of his time? That minor role has already raised his profile for the consumer.

TKT and turnip white like this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    He seems to be something of a rising star, maybe not on the level of Oscar Isaac, but not far behind, either.

25. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Sorry, I don't understand.

The Gleeson are the only way I'd sit through 5 minutes of Tubridy :p

BTW, did you know RTÉ have been repeating Your Bad Self?

"Stop doing X-Men!!!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.