main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wouldn't be surprised if they tried though.

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    ^^^ See that's exactly what I'm saying. Those clamoring for Luke's son are doing so because they cannot let themselves see it any other way.

For me, if Luke has a son, fine. I am sure they will (and have to) build a great story to back it up and explain well what needs to be explained. But the resemblance to Obi-Wan is SO great that it seems as though it's exactly what they were aiming for.

Or it could be that Luke has a son but they wanted to make Luke's son a spitting image of a young Obi-Wan since he was the most popular character from the prequels.

A Luke son wouldn't give Daisy's Leia daughter a possible love interest. An Obi-Wan relative does.

That doesn't make sense at all. We didn't have any connection to Luke's parents during ANH. And by the time we learned Vader was Luke's dad, we were engrossed in the fact that there were stories for 3 other movies that told that particular story. Whether they were ever going to be made was unknown at that time.

But we have always been 100% invested in Luke's character as our ultimate SW hero. Not showing the most important part of that hero's life-the relationship he had and the child that was the result-would leave a horrible void....that is unless they can incorporate it (through a flashback or VERY well explained synopsis-not through a now defunct EU or spin off).

An adopted son or someone Luke raised on his own due to being homeless would satisfy both terms. He'd have somewhat of an heir while not having the void of explaining Luke's relationship with a mother.

3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I still can't wrap my head around how some are saying it seems that a Kenobi heir is more plausible than Luke to have children.

I can totally buy that Luke has no children or adopts a kid. But I think the whole Kenobi angle is such red herring in this whole thing.

4. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    If Gleeson didn't look and sound like Obi Wan I would agree. But I have a feeling that its intentional.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  5. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    A big reason I'm for Luke having a son is the idea of bloodlines is a pretty strong theme in Star Wars, and hits really close to home for me. I come from a family of musicians and feel really blessed because of that. I am almost positive that it is a genetic thing, since every cousin, aunt, uncle, whatever either plays an instrument(s) or sings. The idea that the Skywalkers are a bloodline of Jedi just really appeals to me, and I would like to see that theme continued.

And can you really not imagine Luke's wife being mentioned in this first movie as a character who is never present, but who's presence can be felt as though she's an active character? Anakin was that in the OT, and it worked.

6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

I don't see much of a resemblance to be honest. Other than he has a beard that is the same color.

T-R- likes this.
  7. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Young Alec Guinness
    [​IMG]
    Domhnall Gleeson
    [​IMG]
    Then of course
    [​IMG]

Dewback and plaidphoenix like this.
  8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Maybe they can pull a "Jon Snow". Like have the mother be out of the picture but we dont know why. Have the son be curious about his mother but have Luke be all "Yeah...no. I'll tell you about her after we finish this battle" cue Luke dying and the mystery continuing on. I mean it could totally be an interesting little mystery with questions like "Who was the mother?" "Is this really Luke's biological son?" "Does he have any relationships with the villain", ect ect. IDK....casting still isn't done yet so who knows maybe we will see Luke's wife show up. Whoever she may be.

As for Domhnall, It appears like he is one of those glorious people who can manage to not only look like he could be Luke's son but also be a descendant of Obi-wan. I wonder how long it is till we find out who he is playing. I swear it feels like we are in an evolution of suffering. First by not knowing the director, then the cast, and now by not knowing who they are playing. Oh we have a fun couple months ahead of us:p

ChildOfWinds and T-R- like this.
  9. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, I don't see much of resemblance. I mean, to be fair, I don't see much of a resemblance to Hammil either; nor is that a requirement. All he really needs is general aesthetic similarities.

I certainly don't see anything uncanny when it comes to a Kenobi.

stormcloud8, aleja2 and T-R- like this.
  10. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Search your feelings, you know it to be true!

mattman8907 likes this.
  11. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I like that idea, but it would be unbearable going months or years not knowing if they were going to wipe Mara Jade from canon completely. Unless they want to throw away one of the most popular and well-recognized EU characters Star Wars has and thoroughly alienate many female (and male!) fans, then it's kind of a forgone conclusion who it'll turn out to be for those of us who've followed the EU.
    It's surprisingly easy to work in a character who's no longer living. A few lines of dialogue between Luke and Leia about how much he misses her, or his son asking him about her could reassure Mara fans and set the stage for spin-offs in literally minutes or less. Not to mention the teased mystery of how such a badass died in this canon.

aleja2 likes this.
  12. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    The Son of Skywalker, he is

Revanfan1, ChildOfWinds and T-R- like this.
  13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    So, instead of explaining Luke's wife, we have to explain how and why Luke found a kid and adopted him? Doesn't make sense.

We heard exactly 2 lines about Padme in the OT. We could hear more about Luke's wife in the ST, or shocker, she could actually be in it!

THIS. People are concerned about explaining Luke meeting girl, but don't think it's a problem explaining Jedi monk Kenobi meeting a girl?

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Nobody's invested in Obi-Wan's personal or family life.

Everyone is invested in Luke's because he is THE hero.

Funny that those who say there's no resemblance to Obi-Wan swear Gleeson looks like Luke.[face_dunno]

Mystery Roach and Graphic like this.
  15. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Oh, I'll admit he looks like Obi-Wan. But to me he also has the look of a Skywalker, more than any of the other rumored actors like Speelers or Plemmons. The Obi-Wan descendent idea is terrible, as we have seen no instance that Obi-Wan had any kind of romance. Another reason is the fact that we're talking about a galaxy of planets. There's a reason why we would be following Luke's and Leia's kids. We are following those characters anyways. How would he find Obi-Wan's relative in the entire galaxy?

Sorry, but regardless of what role Gleeson plays, I am totally against him playing a Kenobi.

Pro Scoundrel , T-R- and ChildOfWinds like this.
  16. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    The idea that Ob-Wan had a child is WAY harder to believe than the idea of Luke having kids. For one, with Obi-Wan we would have to accept the fact that he fathered someone off screen before ANH, so it would be something that had already happened before his character is established again in the OT, which has been around for several decades. It would literally be shoehorning it in. Whereas with Luke, it is something that can be established as a post ROTJ thing, that he met a woman after Ep 6, and had a kid post OT, which is far easier to buy into as an audience as opposed to literally backtracking and almost rewriting Obi-Wan`s story.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Pro Scoundrel , T-R- and ChildOfWinds like this.
  17. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
  18. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

I'm the only musician in my family. I must be the mailman's kid... :(

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Trying to squeeze probably the most divisive character in Star Wars character into the movies is NOT a good idea -

Personally, the idea of Obi-Wan's 'cast away son' is pretty intriguing - can you imagine? 'My father abandoned us, and trained YOU instead?"

Makes just as much sense and is actually less confusing than 'Luke had a wife and a kid over the last 30 years, but if you wanna know more about her read the books'

'Which ones?'

20. Young Yoda

Young Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2014
    T-R- likes this.
  21. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    I really don't think he looks like either of them, but I don't think his age would be an issue if he was to play Luke Skywalker's son. I do agree with those saying it's a little odd Obi-Wan Kenobi could be getting a descendent and Luke could not be. Just strange to me.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  22. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    He'll be playing Obi-Clone Kenobi. When Obi-Wan visited Kamino in AOTC, they took a sample of his DNA to see if they could clone a Jedi Knight. It didn't work out the way they planned and instead of destroying him, they froze him in carbonite. Sometime just prior to Episode VII, Luke discovers this frozen clone and thaws him out, hoping to "train" his mentor as a Jedi Knight.

T-R- likes this.
  23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    no offense but clones have been done to death in Star Wars. Clone Bounty Hunters, Clone Sith apprentices, even Clone Emperors. nope i want the ST to be clone free even though a clone obi-wan would be interesting.

Revanfan1 and Twwwon like this.
  24. Twwwon

Twwwon Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2014
    Gleeson doesn't look enough like McGregor or Guinness to be a clone. If they wanted clone Obi, they'd get McGregor back. He said he was open to it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    you know nothing darth claire ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.