main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    There is a Colonel in the MSW info. But remember that these are codenames. Also, I reckon the new actor everyone is talking about is like one of the Death Star imperials. He may have a line or two. He will not be the key villain. That would be a name actor. Like DG.

Revanfan1 and TK327 like this.
  2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

On the flip side, a 'Colonel' would make more sense for a character that's younger like Domhnall Gleeson... unlike the older guy with a 'Sith General' credit apparently.

3. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    It's a little hard for me to see a guy that age as a Colonel as all the ones I remember IRL were a good bit older. 31 was usually like a captain, occasionally a major. Plus he could pass for younger if clean cut.

There are also folks commissioned to higher ranks today based on certain skills and experience in certain fields, like dentists and surgeons. But they're not typically command positions just folks they can't pay like lieutenants if they have any hope of recruiting them.

But it's Star Wars so whatever. And it's wartime where things like that can happen. Lando got a commission straight to General based on what I imagine was an awesome job interview & some solid references. The man was smooth

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Regardless. Gleason will be the key First Order officer. The other guy will be a bit part.

Revanfan1, Master_Lok and TK327 like this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Gleeson's actual age and his character's rank are a non-issue for me. When children are voted in as leaders of a world / system (Amidala was 14), I am not sure why this is a sticking point in the Star Wars universe? [face_dunno]

It depends on the situation, war does result in some folks growing up faster than they would as a civilian.

At any rate, I'm curious about his character.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015...gleeson-geeks-out-about-sci-fi-and-film-noir/

also this.[face_laugh]
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/kirstenking/domhnall-gleesons-opinion-on-everything#.evLkVZGmw

7. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
  8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Poor Gleeson's been left out of all the major TFA talk.

There's been endless discussion about Boyega, Ridley, and Isaac.

Driver, if Kylo, has been all over press and props and theories about the story.

Serkis' Uber has been widely intriguing and mysterious and we've heard his voice.

We've seen Phasma and Abrams mentioned Christie at Celebration.

Abrams also mentioned Lupita and we've heard a LOT about her likely character and even saw what we presume to be her hand in the trailer.

We've heard details rumors/spoilers about Max's character.

We've heard SOME about Gleeson but he's certainly the one with the absolute least amount of information out there.

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

There's really not that much more we need to know about what Gleeson is doing in this film. If you were describing Peter Cushing in ANH, you'd say he was a high ranking Imperial in charge of the Death Star who collaborates with Darth Vader and blows up with the super weapon. I am sure he has some nice dialogue or speech in the movie and there's some interesting book/cartoon back story for him, but the General isn't that complicated in regards to TFA or the saga.

10. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    ^Exactly. I don't see Gleeson's role in TFA as one that has an arc. Sounds like he's a constant villainous force in this film working with the First Order. Now, if he sticks around for the entire ST, there might be some character development there, but I don't think there will be a whole lot other than surface villainy for him in TFA. No backstory or shift in his attitude/actions. Tarkin 2.0.

11. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008

The Colonel doesn't make fried chicken but we're very sure he's in the Resistance.

Satipo likes this.
  12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I thought there was a Colonel on the Star Destroyer?

13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Well the way I see it, they cast a young up and coming actor for the role because of talent they saw. I doubt that talent they saw was for the purpose of a lifeless stiff. There's got to be a little more depth to him or they could have cast pretty much anyone-particularly someone quite a bit older and more "general" like.

14. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    There have been plenty of generals throughout history younger then Mr. Gleeson (who is almost 32). For example, the US Army once had a 20 year old general:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galusha_Pennypacker

And George Armstrong Custer was made a brevet general when he was only about 24. And to take a New Canon example, they already got Rae Sloane going from an officer cadet to captain of a capitol ship in about a five year time frame. So a general in his early-to-mid thirties isn't too unusual, especially during war time.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Anakin was a general in his early 20's. If Gleeson is a general and the son of a certain character, it makes sense. Especially in the cult like First Order.

16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Politely skips the military age issue and ^:)^

[face_rofl] Thank you for posting that last one. I nearly fell out of my work chair laughing.

I would like it if Domhnall's character survives for most of the ST. If he's anything like a Tarkinesque character, I'd want him to survive and cause a whole lot of problems for our heroes. I think it would be a fun mirror to have three villains (excluding Uber) for the three leads.

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    now you believe me when I told you Gleeson as a person is hilarious.:)

nightangel likes this.
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

I never thought he wasn't funny off camera, I was talking about character only in that particular post and how a good actor can shut off their personalities and play something completely opposite.

It's all good and I very much appreciate the serious laughs today.

[face_dancing] So thank you for that and keep on posting all these good things.

nightangel, T-R- and starocean90 like this.
  19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    well I was talking about him as a person only.:p

nightangel likes this.
  20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

Master_Lok and starocean90 like this.
  21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder if Peter Mayhew will play the son of Lando?

23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    A ginger Wookie. :p He needs to go to Wookie growling school first.

Well you're right about him personally. Buggers back to work.

starocean90 and T-R- like this.
  24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    starocean90 likes this.
  25. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    That man is just toying with us :p

18. Star Wars:
    [​IMG]

T-R- likes this.