main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    To be honest, there has been little surprise for us spoiler followers with the reveals of Maz and Phasma. We even had a hint at Gleeson on the second teaser, if he is indeed the commanding figure in the snow planet.

sterling3763 and thejeditraitor like this.
  2. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    maybe gleeson is a cgi alien?

3. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Nah, we got too many consistent reports that he is playing a human First Order officer and a high ranking one at that.

Jaxxon- and TK327 like this.
  4. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    oh i see. thanks.

some people were saying he could be likes son?

5. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Happy birthday Domhnall Gleeson

6. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    That's been debunked

7. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Yeah, it is a mystery as to why his character has never been officially confirmed or alluded to much? Maybe, he's just not that important...or maybe he is?

If Gleeson is playing an evil character that would be interesting, considering it goes against type. Would like to see him really hamming it up as an imperial (First Order) officer. Could the lack of info on his role be as simple as he's just there to serve as canon fodder for the film's finale pay-off...Moff Tarkin esque?

Whoever he's playing they've certainly kept the curiosity factor growing, considering there hasn't been a damn shred of confirmed evidence either way!?

Not long watched Ex Machina, great film by the way. Domhnall Gleeson is really good in that, but Oscar Isaac is tremendous! All bodes well...indeed :D

8. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

But according to Isaac he was kept at a nearby hotel while TPTB were still deciding on whether to cast him (I wonder if there wee other candidates stashed at other hotels). Obviously TPTB wanted whomever was to be chosen to be at that table read for the first photo, which tells me that photo was meant to be symbolic and that the actors there were either icons returning to the roles or newbies who were to play significant characters. And a character can be significant and have a big effect on the plot without having a lot of screentime. Lando was on screen for about 15 minutes in ESB but his role was really important.

So I'm of the opinion that Gleeson's character is a big deal in some way or another otherwise there is no need for him to be at that table read in the first place. I believe the same thing of Serkis too, even if he only has a few scenes. Plus I don't think you hire a young actor of Gleeson's talent and growing clout and then give him some thankless role that no one will remember. Last of all I believe Gleeson when he expressed how secretive his role really is.

9. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Indeed.

darksideDINO likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    darksideDINO, your avatar makes me very confused and schizophrenic.

darksideDINO likes this.
  11. Tugann_An_Solas

Tugann_An_Solas Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 24, 2014
    Anyway yeah nobody really knows anything yet, i;m still hoping out for him being a skywalker

darksideDINO likes this.
  12. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    What if both Gleeson and Driver were kidnapped from the Jedi Academy?

iluvkoalas likes this.
  13. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    It is weird that we literally have not seen even a glimpse of this character yet, which either means he's really insignificant (which makes his appearance at the table read odd) or they're hiding something about him. There seems to be 4 major villain characters in this film (Serkis, Driver, Gleeson and Christie). Serkis is probably a CGI character so makes sense they keep that under wraps, and we're even allowed to see Driver out of his mask yet we have nothing on Gleeson.

I mean, even though the current rumors don't gel with it, personally I would've preferred to see Gleeson as Luke's kid than Rey anyways.

14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    TPTB?

15. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    The powers that be.

Han Drolo likes this.
  16. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    The Powers That Be.

17. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Ah, that makes sense. I had a few hilariously stupid ideas as to what it could mean. Thanks!

Han Drolo likes this.
  18. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It has been said before, but the problem with the "we don't have ANYTHING official about this character" line of reasoning is that a few weeks ago it could have been said about Maz and Phasma and even Kylo Ren. Before Vanity Fair it wasn't confirmed that Driver was Kylo (even though we all knew it long before then). Likewise, though we'd heard rumors of a chrometrooper and a tiny alien who helps our heroes, we'd heard nothing official about those characters. Technically we still haven't really seen Maz. You're describing the state of our knowledge regarding these characters as if we've had official information (like photos of Kylo's face) for months, when it's only been weeks. What about MVS? He was also at the table read. Maybe he's playing Anakin's long lost brother or twin, the second child of the force. He's the true Skywalker that was promised!

There isn't some grand conspiracy or mystery surrounding Gleeson's character. JJ is being very tight with information across the board. That's the long and short of it. Come August or September, when we get a real trailer and the marketing campaign kicks into high gear, we'll probably be introduced to the General.

As for the rest of your post, I really liked the idea of Gleeson working deep undercover to undermine and destroy the Empire's superweapon, a character willing to perform minor and moderate acts of evil to prevent major/galaxy-level acts of evil. But that doesn't appear to be consistent with the rumored outline of the film. If he's the son of Luke but was kidnapped along with Kylo, I don't see how that would be useful plot-wise or thematically (especially if Gleeson dies in this film). So, I think folks just have to let it go. This is not the Skywalker heir you're looking for.

19. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Phasma was in the teaser, along with multiple scenes of Kylo Ren (also got his own character trading card). Maz seems to be in one super spoilery scene and like Serkis (most likely), is a CGI creation whose appearance is probably unique. MVS seems to have some spoiler-heavy scenes as well, which they want to keep under wraps.

20. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I was wondering how long it would take for this topic to pop back up on the front page.

And you know, it's funny to me how, once we were reasonably assured that Gleason was not a Skywalker, that what was once (for an entire year) one of the leading topics of discussion from among the new actors (along with Ridley and Boyega) has since fallen from the face of the earth.

Unless any new information which changes how we view Gleeson's role is unearthed, this is the last I'll speak on the matter of "Domhnall Skywalker."

But I will say this much:

Maybe Lucasfilm will actually take the hint and realize that that there really is an awful lot of ardent, passionate fan interest in the future children of Luke Skywalker (certainly, it would appear, more interest than in an antagonist Officer).

And if it turns out Rey isn't Luke's daughter?

Who knows? Who the heck knows? Maybe Lucasfilm will consider introducing a son or daughter of Luke's for Episode 8? Someone who had been living with Luke in exile? It wouldn't even necessarily require a major re-write, either. Simply establish the child and wife as existing, and then leave the big exposition for an Anthology.

I know how this sounds. I get it. But I also know that I'm not alone in this. Not by a long shot.

And I also feel reasonably assured that were it to happen that Leia and Han had no children in TFA, there would be a similar feeling of disappointment, followed by a look to the future. And before anyone gets the itch, please, save any "Well, of course. They were a couple. It makes sense they'd have a kid" responses. I'm not talking about what is more "realistic," given what we saw in the OT. I'm only talking about how a segment of the fan base feels.

Come on, Lucasfilm, some of us very fervently wish for a child of Luke's to follow going forward in the canon. Would it really be so difficult to give the fans what they want?

21. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I think there's at least a 50/50 shot that Rey is Luke's daughter given the coincidences required and strange occurrences that need to be overlooked if she's a Solo. But if she is a Solo, then I think what you described here makes a fair amount of sense.

If Luke and his then girlfriend or new wife went into exile 10 years before TFA, maybe they have a 5-8 year old kid. That would provide enough of a gap that this kid could be be the main lead of Episode X-XII, with Rey, Finn and Poe acting as mentors in 2021 or whenever they make the inevitable second sequel trilogy.

Revanfan1 and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  22. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Seems like most if not all of Gleeson's scenes other than the big "Nazi rally" involve either the super weapon or Uber...both of which JJ wants to keep under wraps as long as possible. So it's no wonder we don't have info on Gleeson's character and haven't seen him in either teaser yet.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Trebor Sabreon, yeah, it is funny how when Dom being the General was pretty much confirmed, discussion kind of fell off. I have hope that Dom's character, even though he doesn't seem to be a Skywalker, will be an interesting one.

I still think Rey will be Luke's daughter, or if not she or Finn may become a surrogate daughter/son to him in VIII. I posted elsewhere that it seems Rey is getting all the symbolism of the Solo legacy, while Finn is getting the Skywalker legacy. Perhaps he is just "Finn" because he doesn't have a family, and he will adopt the name "Finn Skywalker" in the future? I'd be cool with that.

Even if not, Luke's kid could be with him in isolation, you're right. And, as weird as this is going to sound–Luke is only in his 50's; in the EU, Ben wasn't born until Luke was in his 40's, and since SW characters tend to live into their hundreds, 50's is only middle-aged in the GFFA. Luke could, provided he doesn't die in the ST, still fall in love and have a kid. It'd be odd, sure, by our standards, but stranger things have happened. And Rey is supposed to be, what, nineteen? She'd be significantly older than baby Skywalker, but Jacen and Jaina were 16 years older than Ben in the EU. It'd probably never happen, but...hey. [face_dunno]

24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    That's what I'm getting at, yes. :)

The kid needn't be a force (sorry) in the ST. He or she doesn't even really need to show up in the ST. The child only needs to exist in the canon.

And then we can explore that story in a spin-off. Or a novel. Or an animated series.

Or, yes -- even later, when the child is coming of age in Episodes 10, 11 and 12.

I mean, a new young hero who can be taught by his cousin Rey? Then everyone is happy.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I hadn't thought of the idea of a 5-8 year old. Yeah, that's a great idea. But: minor quibble, she'd be Cousin Rey, not Aunt Rey (EU made that mistake too, once or twice; I believe it called Jacen Ben's uncle at one point). :p

The only problem I have with the idea is that in the EU, when Ben was 5-8 years old, he was an insufferable brat (to me). Whoever they would get to depict a hypothetical Skywalker child of that age would need to act (and have the role written) very carefully to avoid having him be that way.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.