main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    There is little doubt that, at the very least, he is filming less for the moment than other actors. Back on May, he was not filming when Boyega and Ridley were on Abu Dhabi. Afterwards, early-mid June we apparently shooted, and since then we know some actors, like Boyega, Ridley, Isaac, and Ford continued filming. Now we know there has been some shooting in the forest and he apparently was in Dublin.

It could perfectly be a matter of schedule, but right now he seems to be one of the actors less involved in filming.

Revanfan1 and Lurknomore like this.
  2. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

Either he has less scenes than John and Diasy or his schedule got affected by Ford's injury.

3. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, those are probably the only ways we can view it. The second one would be somehow weird to me, because Gleeson was next to 3PO and Luke on the table read. It woud be unexpected if he had a lot of scenes with Ford. The first one seems more likely, since (and I know some will disagree) he was not billed between the first 3-5 names on the cast reveal.

Lurknomore likes this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Fair warning: A couple of big assumptions here on my part (but hey, that's all part of the fun).

But it occurs to me that if the "search for Luke" rumor is in any way accurate, and we don't see the reveal of Master Skywalker until later in the film, let's just say that it wouldn't shock me if, when Han and his cohorts finally do reach Luke, we find that his son (played by Gleeson) is found with his father, too.

A character like that, one who doesn't show up until much later in the film (and even then, at the side of a much bigger character in Luke), could reasonably explain Gleeson's name coming later in the cast reveal and also clue us in to why he may not have done much (if any) filming, as of yet.

An introduction like this could also pave the way for a more sizable role come Episode 8 (something we've also heard could be happening).

Heck, I think that could be a really fun way of introducing a new Skywalker to us. We're excited to finally see Master Luke, and then -- hey, what do you know -- there's "Ben!"

I could be way off-base, of course, but if nothing else, it's food for thought.

5. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    I´ve thought about this too. Firstly because Gleeson was with Hamill and Daniels during the table read, which made me think they might be together on Tatooine. But now, if the theory is that Luke is lost somewhere for a while, I could see him being with the droids and his son.

T-R-, VMeran, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Mind, I don't know anything more than anyone else. But yes, taking everything we've seen and been told all into account, as of today, that's precisely what I think is the case.

7. thisguyisnotajedi

thisguyisnotajedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2014
    Clearly he's playing C3PO and Luke's son. :p
    But seriously it is hard to gauge if if that cast seating is accurate or not. Could they have a lot scenes together? Yes. Could they share no screen time at all? Also yes. Daisy and John weren't sitting next to each other and they seem(not defiantly) to share a whole section of the movie together.

Lurknomore and VMeran like this.
  8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    he's playing Luke's hand.;)

VMeran and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  9. thisguyisnotajedi

May 16, 2014
    Shhhhh let's not mentioned that here. :p

10. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Ahh I see. Luke's hand gripping a lightsaber isn't the one cut off in TESB. Luke's hand is a title. Like Mara Jade was Emperor's hand.

This new Luke's Hand gets the Commander Shepard treatment and plummets to a planet from orbit.

11. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    the hand [face_laugh] please

12. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    These new rumors got me thinking about Domhnall's role and they would fit with Domhnall being a Skywalker. If they are searching for Luke for most of the movie, he probably won't be in it much. And if Domhnall is his son, we probably won't see much of him either, if they're hiding out wherever together. I could see it being this big reveal when they finally do find Luke that during his 30 years away, he got married and had a kid. That would explain why Domhnall doesn't seem to be doing a ton of filming and why his name is near the end of the press releases. So he may not have a huge role in Episode VII, but could have a bigger part in VIII.

Revanfan1, VMeran and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  13. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    That is my theory right now. The thing is, if Boyega is Force sensitive, will Luke's son still be leading the trilogy? If Boyega is not, maybe Gleeson could emerge as a lead.

14. thisguyisnotajedi

May 16, 2014
    While they both can be force sensitive, If Gleeson isn't the sole lead of this movie I don't think he will emerge as the lead as the rest of the trilogy.

Lurknomore likes this.
  15. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yep. I've also said that I think this could be quite likely.

Again: two very big 'if's,' but yes, if Gleeson is a Skywalker, and if Luke really has been gone, I think you're quite possibly 99.99% right about how things might unfold. It certainly makes sense of some of the rumors we've heard.

As far as the question about who is able to make use of the Force (and who maybe is not)? Assuming Boyega, Ridley and, in this scenario, Gleeson are the three leads, if there must be one lead who is not a Force user, I would peg Boyega as the one, with Ridley as a Solo and Gleeson as a Skywalker.

We've read conflicting 'rumor' reports about John's character, some suggesting he's a Jedi Padawan, others stating that he's not a Jedi at all, but the roguish, non-Force sensitive "Han Solo" of the three (something we've also heard suggested for Issac). But between a Skywalker, a Skywalker-Solo and an unknown entity, I think it makes the most obvious sense for Boyega to be the 'odd man out' (as far as these things go).

There's also another idea I've read suggested here, namely that Leia's daughter or Luke's son could be without the Force. No doubt that would prove quite interesting. I think it's far less likely, but interesting, nonetheless.

However, all of this hinges on the 'rule' that says one of the leads must be non-Force sensitive. Personally? I've no issue whatsoever with all three of the leads being Force-sensitive.

I mean, why not?

T-R-, VMeran and thisguyisnotajedi like this.
  16. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    That's true. I suppose most people assume they will be one on-Force user since there was one in the PT trio and the OT trio. But there's nothing to say they couldn't change that. With Boyega being a stormtrooper, I could see him being non-Force sensitive. Maybe some of the rumors of him being a Jedi came from him holding what is in fact Luke's lightsaber? It really does depend though on if Daisy is a Solo or Domhnall a Skywalker. Some information on those points would be helpful!!

17. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Can you be the male lead in star wars without the Force? I mean sure you can be a lead like Han but the OT was Luke's story. It can be hard to tell who was leading between Anakin and Obi-wan but they both had the force. So the point arises since only John and Daisy have been referred as Leads then I expect both to have the Force.

sterling3763 likes this.
  18. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, talking about this, even when it really matters to all of us it´s a dead end. We are all hearing Boyega is probably THE lead of the movie. And it would be extremely weird that he is not the lead of the entire ST if he leadsBoyega is a 22 year old guy. If he is the lead, it´s very likely that he is a Force user. We know some reports have indicated he is using a lightsaber in some scenes. It could very well be a non-Force user using a lightsaber. If he is a Stormtrooper he could have some expertise on that. But I really think that is wishful thinking.

Right now everything points at Boyega as the lead and him being a Force user that starts his journey on the bad guys side. LFL wants that, it is a new idea, Disney wanted a non-caucasic lead, and most important, he is a terrific actor, and everyone in the know seems to be extremely pleased with him. This thread is full of fans like me who wanted or expected a Skywalker to lead the ST. But right now everything points out at Boyega being the man this time.

As Adi_Gallia_9 has said, a new day, a new rumor, and still the same hints, the same topic, and Gleeson out of the equation.

Lurknomore and sterling3763 like this.
  19. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Plus he has got sword fighting experience and it seems a waste not to use it.

20. smeagol8

smeagol8 Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2014
  21. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    I don't have time to go on a Google search - but IIRC, both Mark Hamill and Dohmnall Gleeson were in London in mid May. They were both reported in other parts of the world after that.

If they are front loading the scenes with the Falcon and filming that set first, then perhaps Mark and Don are only on the Falcon for a short time - say near the end of the film, if certain rumors are true and these are scenes after they've been "found" (heh, spell check wanted me to go with Ben for a second there) - and then the actors were released until they are needed again.

It could be they just haven't gotten to the bulk of Mark's and/or Dom's scenes yet. Remember, filming movies is tortuously slow; it can take hours of setup and work to get usable seconds of film.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  22. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yes, I see where you're coming from (and I'm not trying to convince you, or anyone else, of anything by saying this), but let's be honest: Right now, for us, the fan, the unknowns far, far outweigh the knowns. I'm just putting that out there as a reminder.

But the main point I want to make is that, for the purposes of this thread, even if Boyega is the "main" character, let us keep in mind that in no way, shape or form would that keep Gleeson from playing one of the three lead characters.

Yes, even potentially the new Skywalker.

Even if he is not the protagonist in the classic sense of the word, Luke's boy could be a vital character in his own right. After all, was Obi-Wan the "main character" of the PT? Most would argue that Anakin takes that honor.***

But I'll say this: I'd take 'Dom Skywalker' as the ST's version of the ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi -- that all-important lead character who is maybe a little older than the other two leads -- in a heartbeat.

And nothing (I say again, nothing) we've seen or heard has eliminated Domhnall from playing such a character of importance or impact. Even if John (or Daisy) sits as the "Anakin."

And until we learn otherwise, there's no way that talking about any of those possibilities is a 'dead end.' :)

***And I use PT character references very purposefully, as I fully expect more of an ensemble focus between all three leads in the ST, much more so than the story of a single protagonist like we saw with Luke in the OT.

T-R-, VMeran and coxie0520 like this.
  23. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Just to clarify, when I talk about dead end is just because the amount of info we gpt is so small we always end up with the same conclusion: we have to wait and see.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  24. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Maybe Gleeson is part of the reason why Luke disappeared. Maybe he just learned that he/Obi-Wan has a son and is off to find and train him, but the bad guys need something he has for the super weapon, so they send the fake hand, to send the good guys on a mission.

the_sinister_hologram likes this.
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, but that's true of every actor/character, really.

It's our lot in life. Until we get more info, discussions on all of the characters is likely to go in circles. It's been almost three months since the cast reveal, and we've had z-e-r-o input from any official channels about any of these characters. Not a single word. Oh, but the Mystery Box is fun! :p

My quibble is with some of the folks who have said that the only way possible for a child of Luke to appear is if he or she were the main character (and that if either Boyega or Ridley are the 'lead,' this automatically disqualifies Gleeson from consideration as a Skywalker).

I just think that door is still very much open, is all.

Abadacus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.