Donnie Darko is . . . The Prince of Persia

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Mastadge, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
  2. Radical_Edward Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was always skeptical of this casting choice, and the pictures (nipples aside) don't look promising.

He does have a definite Jared Leto thing going on here (not that that's very Persian, either)
  3. goraq Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I am not a fan of movies based on videogames.
  4. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    Too bad, we have some really great persian actors out there.
  5. Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This movie already has a thread if someone would just bother to look for it. [face_plain]

I'm still sceptical to casting Jake in this one. It isn't necessary to cast a persian actor but the actor should at least look like a persian prince, and that is one thing Jake doesn't.

There were at one time a real persian prince that did a little bit of lobbying. Whether if he could act or not. You could at least say he's got the right look.
  6. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I did look for it. I stopped looking when I started getting to pages of topics locked from disuse.
  7. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    So is the casting entirely white-washed?
  8. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    Well, aren't Persians considered "white?" If memory serves both Persians and Europeans are descended from the Indo-Europeans...

But I know what you mean. :p
  9. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd say that most Europeans have a tendancy not to consider Persians white, just as they don't consider Arabs white. However, both Arabs and Persians would identify as "white" of skin color... and have done so traditionally.

Still, it's not as if there aren't Persian actors that could've played the prince.
  10. henchman24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    while they could have found a better choice that was more ethnically in line, they certainly could have found a better actor.

casting a horrid actor isnt going to help a videogame - movie port that is already a bad idea to begin with.

"wow that video game has some cool effects when they run on the walls, lets make a movie"
  11. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thing is, Prince of Persia can be a great story. The graphic novel is pretty darn good, IMO. And it pretty much totally lacks any of the flash of the games.
  12. Vidina Force Ghost

star 4
    The story is pretty good, sure, and the world and art work is astonishing as well, but what will make this film better than any other game-film?

For example:
    Street Fighter (the original '94 version with Van Damme)
    Super Mario Bros (93, Bob Hoskins, ring a bell?)
    Max Payne (2008 crap)
    Double Dragon ( 1994, Scott Wolf)
    BloodRayne
    Dead or Alive
    Doom
    Mortal Kombat 1 & 2.

..and the list goes on, but my point is that generally 99% of game-based films stink.
  13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Actually, I think the first Mortal Kombat movie is fun as hell. And SMB is awesome in a very campy way.
  14. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    For what it's worth (which is very little, probably), Arabs are a Semitic people while Persians are Caucasian. So if we're going to demand or expect that roles be cast according to ethnicity, it's well within the lines of good taste to cast Jake Gyllenhall as a Persian.
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    However, of that long list, how many of those source games were actually story based or had anything resembling an actual plot? And are you really going to count an Uwe Boll movie in there? Because it doesn't matter what they're based on, those will still suck. :p

I haven't played the Max Payne games but the movie wasn't too bad, IMO. Certainly no worse than average action/crime fare, if not slightly above par (though not by much).

The annoying thing is there is a wealth of material in video games that would make for excellent films because there's an actual story to adapt, not just a premise*. The problem is they're not often the super-hot sellers that studios have itched to cash in on, so we get low-story material being adapted into bad movies that then make everyone think all game movies will have to suck, and so any chance of getting the stronger material brought to the screen are weakened.

But there's true mythology to be tapped into there- it's just a genre that hasn't had it's modern X-men or Spider-Man movie hit to kick the better stuff into gear.

*Which is not to say you can't make an entertaining movie based on a premise, as POTC films are based on a mere theme park ride, just you need to find the right balance.
  16. Vidina Force Ghost

star 4
    You're kind of contradicting yourself there, though. Max Payne had so much potential, and had trailers that really endorsed the fans of the games. However, as with some films, trailers are misleading, and the film itself was utter crap. I'll agree, though, that too someone who hasn't played the games, it could stand pretty well on it's own, but as a game to film conversion, it really screwed up the concept and storyline altogether.

For instance, Jim Bravura is supposed to be a 40-50-ish Caucasian male with glasses, a rather large waistline, a relatively laid back personality, and the guts to suspend Payne. In the film, however, he's portrayed by a rapper who has little to nothing to do with the main plot driving the film, and is only good for backup. Bravura was never a field officer, in the games, but an office kind of man. BB Hensley was never even in the games. Payne was a solo DEA agent. Mona Sax had almost no part in the first game, but a very prominent role in the second. She was not russian, and not 5 feet tall. Lupino wasn't even spot on, although he's the most similar person compared to his game character.

And as for the big reveal, it wasn't even related to the story of the game, let alone the valkyries. They were part of a V hallucination, but were never revealed even by shadow, since they didn't actually exist. Payne wasn't a self-damaging suicidal emo either, but a pretty hardcore agent gone bad.

I even have a review written on my blog, if you want more details.

However, I feel a Uwe Boll film fits the list perfectly, since it really portraits the lack of engagement game films get.

I'll agree, however, that some of the films in my list didn't have much potential to begin with, but as you said yourself, Pirates are based on a theme park ride. If a ride can make 3 (and to be 4) excellent movies, why can't a simple fighting game like Street Fighter or Dead or Alive?

There's a movie coming out called Tekken, which currently looks like it'll have an interesting cast, with most casted actors really reminiscent of the original game, and the story(in the games) is actually quite cool, if you've paid attention. However, I fear it'll end up like Chun Li(You know, a film that makes the SF-films even worse), and totally screw the whole thing up.

That wound up a bit long, and off-topic. I'm sorry, mods, I just felt it necessary.
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think it depends on talent and situation. I think in some cases you have some writers or producers with concepts that they eventually just attach an existing property to, other times they just strike lightning- no one, not even the studios, expected Depp's Sparrow to be like he was, and it's mainly because of that character that the series was so successful.

Plus, a theme park ride doesn't have as much in the way of mythology or character narrative, so it isn't subjected to as high scrutiny as, say, your review with Max Payne, where there's less to compare or feel something altered or lost in the adaptation process. In the case of Pirates, you have maybe 3 minutes in the entire trilogy that's made of material from the actual ride.
  18. The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Knight

star 2

You forgot Tomb Raider... and it's equally awful sequel. Nothing worse than Angelina with a bad brit accent.

- T_S_R
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I wouldn't say "equally awful". TR2 may not have been that good, but it was at least semi-watchable. The first film, however, was not. ;)

Trailer is up at IGN

Outside of that chick's narration being a little grating, it actually looks quite good- even a couple good bits of humor in there.
  20. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I was pleasantly surprised by that trailer. Looks good and they might actually get the story right. Can it really be? :p
  21. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    You know, that doesn't look half bad! Rather epic and well-crafted, from what I can see.

I notice that the trailer doesn't mention that the director, Mike Newell, also made Goblet of Fire... I wonder why, considering what a big hit that film was?
  22. sapphire_eyes Jedi Padawan

I'm actually looking forward to it as an escape-type movie. I'm hoping it will be fun, as the first Pirates of the Caribbean was. I'm not big on Jake Gyllenhaal but I love the POP games so I'll see it for that. I always thought the prince was hot.
  23. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    When I saw the trailer at The Book of Eli I thought it look absolutely horrible, and I just finished re-playing Sands of Time a couple weeks before.
  24. MasterGhandalf Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Technically this has been out for about a month, but as nobody else posted it- second trailer: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/664420/prince_of_persia_sands_of_time/videos/pop_mov_trl2_030110.html

Personally, I've never played any of the PoP games (though I've heard good things about them), but I think the trailers have looked pretty cool so far, and I'm cautiously optimistic about the movie.
  25. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4
    God, I hope for Jake Gyllenhaal's sake that this is a good movie. Because he looks so out of place.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.