main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Don't fly with Obi-Wan, it makes him feel uncomfortable (MEGA THREAD)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DARTHLINK, Apr 7, 2017.

1. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    So since Anakin and Padme had their own threads, I figured we needed one for Obi-Wan.

Can I just say how much I loved Obi-Wan? As much as I liked Anakin, I think the Prequels would've done better had they focused squarely on Obi-Wan, as after all, it was he that introduced us to the concept of the Force and the Jedi. He could've been the one to show us how the Jedi were like, how life was like before the Empire.

So what are your thoughts in his MEGA THREAD? What are your opinions of Obi-Wan Kenobi?

2. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Whether we like it or not, Obi Wan is basically "by the book" Jedi who takes over Anakin after the death of Qui Gon the foster father figure to the child Anakin. QG is not the "by the book" Jedi. As GL said SW is called Fathers and Sons. So Obi Wan becomes the father of Anakin, yet in his eyes, he's a brother to Anakin. Thus as we know in ROTJ, Obi Wan tells Luke that he thought he could train Anakin but wasn't able to control him to be a Jedi as the Jedi he would like Anakin to be. The Jedi learn in such a drastic and unfortunate way how they could not foresee the untold dangers that was lying beneath that pulled Anakin to the Darkside. Palpatine became a Father figure instead and now we know how that worked out for the Jedi and the loss of the Balance in the Force.

MJ

Subtext Mining likes this.
  3. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Of the good guys in this trilogy, he’s by far the smartest, most likable, and most sensible. Of the alleged heroes, he’s really the only one that I ever identify with or care about at any point in these movies. I genuinely do feel bad that he basically ends up losing everything he cares about at the end. It also helps that Ewan McGregor does actually give a pretty good performance in the role. If someone were to ask me what this guy in his youth would be like, this would be right on the money.

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Obi-Wan has always been my favorite.

5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Obi Wan needs his own film...

6. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    I liked the idea of Obi-Wan hating to fly. Reminded me a lot of Dr. McCoy and his phobia of transporters.

7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Obi-Wan has long been my favorite PT character (Ewan McGregor is just great)..... and I think I've had a revelation.

I've never considered myself a PT hater, but I also have been someone who was disappointed with them. So I put on ROTS a few days ago (I often throw on a movie while I'm working on things and not meeting with clients and prospects).... and I was like "You know what, I always kind of liked ROTS, but Anakin's turn has never really worked for me. Since I have always liked Obi-Wan I wonder what I will think of the film if I view it from his perspective and treat him as the main character".... and you know what? IT was really good! I enjoyed ROTS a lot more viewing it this way. I've never really been able to relate to Anakin (I mean he just does some really stupid stuff)... however, I can (unfortunately) definitely relate to Obi-Wan... who has to watch his friend wreck his entire life by being an idiot. As someone who has seen a friend or two screw up there lives being idiots (mulitiple DUIs in one case) I really felt for Obi-Wan.... it sucks and sadly you often just can't do anything about it. I also can relate to Obi-Wan having to watch Anakin and Padme enter a doomed relationship... I have seen friends enter into relationships that I knew would end badly (and actually ended up in a divorce in one case) and there's just nothing you can do about it. Even when it's totally obvious from the outside that it will never work, the people in the relationship just won't listen. So Obi-Wan's line "I'm so sorry" to Padme totally hit home.

And some of the stuff that bothers me? When I view it from Obi-Wan's perspective it bothers me way less.... like Anakin's specific reasons for turning seem less important and their impact on Obi-Wan seem more important. It's like I've had a revelation. I seriously have not enjoyed ROTS that much in a very long time (if not ever).

I'm excited now to try watching the entire PT from Obi-Wan's perspective (I guess treating it as the Obi-Wan trilogy) and see if that improves the other films for me like it did ROTS.

SavedByChristAlone likes this.
  8. rodringo

rodringo Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2017
    I always saw Obi-wan as a pillar of the episode 1 and 4. So for me, he start both trilogy. :)

CatClio likes this.
  9. SavedByChristAlone

SavedByChristAlone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2017
    Obi-Wan was the best of the prequel Jedi, and I don't mean that in the sense of power levels neither. He had the heart and soul of a Jedi.

Hey, I just thought of something: Anakin is the protagonist of the OT and the PT (as in, the one who undergoes most change), with Obi-Wan as the hero of the PT (as in, the one who is the most heroic) and Luke as the hero of the OT.

And Obi-Wan Kenobi is REALLY heroic - which makes things all the more tragic when things go badly for him. And we all know how badly 'badly' is.