main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Don't Let The Door Hit You On The Way Out

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jabba-wocky, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    The deaths of characters who were just hitting their stride.

I'm looking at the NJO, specifically, but also hardly-developed "elder statesmen" such as Kenth Hamner, who was a victim of refrigerator syndrome (offed in a pointless manner solely to advance another character's plot arc - it affects characters of both genders, in novels as well as comics).

darklordoftech and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    FINE
    [​IMG]

It's not as effective! He's just sleepy!

3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

[​IMG]

My friend, please, step away from this dark path you've gone down. There is no hope, no solace to be found in the darkness. All that waits for you there is pain, and regret.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Mostly, I just hope some of the more convoluted and contradictory parts of the EU are simplified.

Example: Fenn Shysa and his Mandos come back, but never thought thought a crazy clone was the young son of Jango and their leader.

Also, Boba Fett's backstory in general.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This. Hands down.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, he's still gotta be a clone given AOTC.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Or does he...?
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    That's what I mean though - his backstory will just be that he was the clone of a bounty hunter that also became a bounty hunter, without him being the 12th or so Journeyman Protector named Jaster Mareel, being a stormtrooper, and probably a few other backstories that I forgot about.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I don't watch the Clone Wars at all but I was fine with the concept of Ahsoka too, for what they were doing from the very outset of the show. And it was obviously very successful.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The concept of Ahsoka was not a problem.

Ahsoka herself, on the other hand...

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Agreed. Sure there was some good, but really so much bad. I can't really be sad that the Solo kids are gone because it seems more merciful than what Troy Denning did to them. So let me add that I'm happy to be rid of 90% of Denning's contributions. Especially the Squibs.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I dunno, Boba's backstory made sense to me to some extent -- DKM had the last word for Bantam and he incorporate the stormtrooper backstory into the journeyman one. Fett joined the stormtroopers after he was exiled is all, then repeated his prior behavior by killing his CO.

Yeah but a lot of people here don't like Ahsoka or TCW but she's a popular character and the show has brought a lot of fans to the franchise, and I don't think your argument would compel those that dislike the show to change their mind or be less happy if it was wiped out.

I mean, Starkiller is a pretty popular character from a pop culture standpoint as far as SW characters go, probably being about as well known as Mara Jade, Thrawn, and Ahsoka, but a lot of people are celebrating TFU's demise in this thread.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Greedo shooting first.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Allston/Traviss stuff was pretty good. I will miss Tarfang from Denning though.

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    That scene in Before the Storm where Luke is hanging out with Akanah on Lucazec and she's like "Hey look out man there are some Imperials but you're the wise and stoic Jedi Master so what are you gonna do" and he just kinda turns on his lightsaber and cuts them up like bits of nerfmeat and she's like "Seriously man what the hell" and he just shrugs and then they go on a boring three book quest for his mother that the reader knew was doomed from the start and in the end it turns out the Imperials were a Force illusion and it was a test that Luke failed. That scene always seemed really out of character to me. If scrapping the entire EU means we can get rid of that scene then I'll call it a victory and go eat some pancakes.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I have always known about the stormtrooper thing but never really understood exactly what it was, or what it was about. Therefore I'd be okay with losing it. But the Journeyman Protector thing, I always liked.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think I'd need to know what's getting completely wiped out before I can answer the question. For instance, while I'm glad that the grim darkness of the 40s ABY is no longer the canon future of Star Wars, I can't quite celebrate the demise of the Denningverse like a lot of you are until I'm sure he's not coming into the new EU (though I guess we can still be certain he'll never have as free a license to wreck things again).

But that said, one thing that I'm certain is going to be erased, and that I won't miss at all, is Dark Empire.

ChildOfWinds and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I can't imagine any universe in which Starkiller is as well-known or popular as Mara Jade.

LelalMekha and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Anecdotally, Starkiller is more popular than Mara Jade among non-EU fans as far as I can tell from people I know.

DarthJenari and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    Everything Troy Denning has written since and including The Swarm War. Invincible is the single worst SW novel I've ever had the displeasure of reading, and it's the one that turned me from a Denning-disliker into an outright Denning-basher. A deus ex machina ending that elevates Natasi Daala, unrepentant Imperial warlord and perpetrator of large-scale attacks on the New Republic, to the highest position of the New Republic's successor, the Galactic Alliance? Seriously? Seriously?

Also, most of Karen Traviss's books. I thought Hard Contact and Triple Zero were actually good, but after those her constant bashing of the Jedi and worshipping of the Mandalorians became tiresome.

21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Popularity isn't all.

22. Silly_Dan

Silly_Dan Jedi Master star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    I don't mind Boba Fett's survival, but as extreme inclusionist canon had him fall in and crawl out twice (once in Tales of the Bounty Hunters and once in the old Marvel series), I'm glad he'll probably be resurrected only the one time. 8)

23. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    Dark Empire is probably the only thing I'd like retcon away entirely.

Pretty much everything else in the EU I liked at least partially or isn't 100% gone yet.

Grievousdude likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    UGO's list had him at 50 (of 50). Mara Jade was 7. (Beaten by Ben, Pellaeon, DAALA?!?, Thrawn, Jaina and Jacen)

That's the last list of EU characters I can find. :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Well... there's a problem here.

I *would* be glad that all of Boba Fett's post-ROTJ stories are gone, but I know that he will be returned to life. First of all, people are all up in him for some reason. Second of all, they've shown him way too much in TCW for them to not continue banking him in the new EU and movies.

So... I guess I'll go with the Vong. Hate the idea of them and the NJO with a passion.

cwustudent and EternalHero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.