main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Don't Let The Door Hit You On The Way Out

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jabba-wocky, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightOfGrey

KnightOfGrey Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2014
    Thrawns Death.

I don't know why, but up until I read NJO and the moon fascade his death always bothered me. I mean, the way he died. I expected him to lose someway but more like...strategically withdrawing and starting a new empire like the imp rems, or becoming some ally (unlikely but still) or hell, getting out smarted.

Not that I don't like Palleon. He's one of my favs.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm referring specifically to Kablob's earlier comment about how "Sith can't do that" (which, I now realize, I mistakenly conflated with their complaints about DE in general).

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, and it was vexing from the start.

Then of course we have to go through it again with Ulic, Vos, Revan (right?) and who knows how many others.

I'd like to never see that trope again, especially in Star Wars, where it makes the least sense.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Vos didn't go to the dark side to beat it. The Jedi sent him undercover as a spy. I don't think the intent was for him to actually join the dark side; he just kind of fell on his own

I also don't think that applies with Revan. He was already touching the dark side during the Mandalorian War and afterwards went in search of the true Sith. It was never his intent to join them, but when he confronted the emperor he was overwhelmed and became a pawn. He was sent into the galaxy to prepare for the main invasion. Overtime he began to break out of the mind influence, but the corruption remained. As a result, he was trying to conquer the galaxy and prepare of to fight the Empire. His goal was to keep power for himself.

Ulic did join the dark side to stop it though.

5. KnightOfGrey

KnightOfGrey Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2014
    Revan did gain the sick ability to get both dark and light to flow with him with enough force to beat back the emperor for a bit. Like 2 seconds anyways.

Regardless I don't think it's so much "joining the dark side to beat it". I think it's more understanding it. It plays with the idea that people make it dark or light but the force is the force. By "joining" the "dark" side you can gain understanding on its views and how those folks do things because you are accepting that their is more than one way of doing things. Otherwise you can see that "oh those guys are bad" but never really understand the power that's there.

Again going back to Revan. He used the force to do what he felt necessary to win the war. The jedi believed that his actions were dangerous and of the dark side. Revan "fell" (which honestly to me was more like he was still trying to make things better in his own way) but eventually came "back" and later on was able to wield both sides of the force equally and effectively.

My thoughts anyways. I thought Luke was just emo in that one series though.

6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Yep, Luke had three choices really. Join Palpatine. Attempt to escape. Or fight Palpatine. Consider he was at a disadvantage in every way, not only intellectually, but in terms of the Force as well, as before this he had no idea the Emperor was still alive, or of any such technique that would allow one to survive and return from death. (The Force Ghost's of his father and Masters are probably the closest) He also had absolutely no idea where he was on Byss, or where Byss was in the galaxy. He didn't know what kind of forces Palpatine had, or what he'd be facing while fighting Palpatine, or while attempting to escape the planet. I also remember him not exactly being at 100% spiritually/emotionally, as he'd been sensing Palpatines presence for a while, didn't know what it was, and was being plagued by it, to the point the stress started to take a toll on his physical appearance.

I'd say Luke made a solid choice in a bad situation.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    You just guaranteed the ST plot!

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I wasn't planning on seeing that.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Like father, like son. Helllloooo, Mortis.

And I would almost consider paying attention to Episode 7 spoilers just to ensure that I don't spend money on that.

But I won't.

If the movie goes in that direction, I'll just promise you all a hilarious wine-infused rant on how badly the movie sucked.

And I do promise it will be hilarious. And wine-infused.

Kylun and Pfluegermeister like this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, the thing is, Luke didn't really "turn" to the dark side, but his decision is motivated by his sense that he alone can save the galaxy, and the overconfidence that entails. It's his character flaw that he overcomes at the end of the story. Luke is just pretending to serve Palpatine to find out a way to kill him for reals, but the reality is that by taking this burden on himself and shutting out his allies, he really is moving down his father's path, and not consciously.

I think it's believable and makes sense.

Starkeiller and Zeta1127 like this.
  11. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    As much as I hate the entire series, the thought of Han Solo shooting Palpatine to death is inherently amusing.

YodaVader12, seeker_two and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    We all know that Palpatine shot first in the re-prints, though.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope that in the new canon, the Republic uses the Bendu symbol for the entirety of its 25,000 year existence.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  15. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I take back everything I said about the Legends banner. This new cover looks gorgeous with that banner adorning it.

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  16. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Again: how can the sequel trilogy NOT copy Dark Empire if it is to succeed? ^:)^
    My answer to Palpatine resurrection complaints is: you just don't get Star Wars. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.