main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Don't make an account on Star Wars:The Old Republic becasue the Mods are dictaters

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MasterDillon, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    I joined in 2009, and things were going really good. However Bioware started to get more, and more serious with forum moderation but it eventually got out of control. Their Community Support would issue infractions for stupid things like spamming when your not really spamming, trolling, when your not trolling, and so on. Well soon these Infractions started turning into bans, and I heard that many accounts were getting banned. Some of these guys, and girls were people on my friends list who actually were good people just opinionated. Well then came the day last April when Bioware pretty much just killed the Community, by closing the Off Topic Forums, and shutting down Visitor Walls permanently. They also said they would be moderating posts made in certain sections very carefully which was totally outrageous. Yeah there were some idiots, and trolls but their on almost every forum site but most of the community were good people so why was Bioware douing this? They didn't even come out with an explanation to why they were suddenly doing all of this moderation. Finally things got so bad I just plain out left, and my advice to people considering joining the Community is don't at least not until the game comes out becasue they run the site way way too strictly. I'm not the only one who thinks this there are many people on the site who think this as well. Think about this before signing up, and if you already have an account there stay low.

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    "Some of these guys, and girls were people on my friends list who actually were good people just opinionated."

Yeahhhh but I've heard the same thing said about me on THESE forums, and I'm not going to sugarcoat that beeswax - I'm just a charming ****. "Opinionated" is a little generous of a term.

Not every user is going to like every forum and no forum is going to like hardly any users. They probably had a set idea for the forum at the beginning, and it wasn't turning out that way, so they closed shop a bit to calm things down. I suggest just posting here instead and getting your friends too as well, because clearly we are run by a system that will even allow me to post this while calling your friends fellow ****s.

3. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Figures. :rolleyes:

4. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    I was just on the Bioware site and they haven't closed down the Off Topic Forum...I admit the site better several years ago prior to the EA purchase...I used to spend a lot of time on the Obsidian forum which was a truly caustic site where there were Epic Flame Wars.

5. BasharGelion

BasharGelion Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2011
    The official forums are practically a no-man's-land unless all you want to do is flame, troll, and be degraded, but you won't be degraded by the mods. I've met them and the amount of crap they have to put up with is just insane. I don't know why there are so many vile, spiteful, and hateful people who insist on hanging out there. It's truly not necessary.

Fortunately, we've managed to keep our forums VERY user friendly without any interference from myself or the other admins. Most of the fansites have a very congenial, friendly atmosphere, I think, because we truly want to love the game, and we're not just MMO douche-bags looking for the next big game to stroke our e-peens over.

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have an account there, but I don't use it. It was made mainly for some Wookieepedia-related things. Considering that unless I win the lottery, I'll never, ever be capable of playing the game, I see no reason to become an active member. I'm just there for artwork and any research, nothing more.

However, to make a blanket statement that the place is horrible is a bit much. When on the TOS, I've heard nothing but bad things about TFN. Yet, I joined and I really like it here. And on here, I saw lots of bad things about TOS, yet when I was there, I had encountered nothing of the sort.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I can't comment on the forums themselves, but welcome to the TF.N, MasterDillon. :)

8. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I post there quite a bit and it definitely seems as we get closer to launch, the forums are getting worse and worse.

I think the mods there do about as well as they can. They'll have to be heavy handed if they want to keep the forums from devolving into the cesspool the WoW forums have become.

9. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I just joined there a couple weeks ago and I don't mind it too much. The main game discussion forum moves too fast to keep up. And sooooooooo many of the topics are straight repeats. NO ONE bothers to search for old topics answering the same exact thing they're asking.

I like their Star Wars Discussion board. It's pretty good, but it's got the same repeat-topic problem and it isn't modded as heavily to keep it clean.

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    All mods are dictators.

Fact.

:p

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    But I'm the only benevolent one.

12. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm the tyrant.

13. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    They could've done themselves a favor and not opened those forums until this year.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [image=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_R2-g6ttxLHI/S2HWWX2do6I/AAAAAAAAAhU/0SbOFFrK5xw/s400/HitlerHead.jpg]

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    ^ People who post on message boards are couch potatoes, therefore something something Hitler.

16. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    I've spent the past couple of days periodically stopping by and lurking the official forum and I am amazed at the speed of the that forum and how quickly topics move. I don't think a Moderator could keep up with the volume. Two times I went to comment on what someone had posted and by the time I finished my response four or five other people had commented....It's an amazing juxtapostion to these forums which to be honest can move at a snails pace sometimes.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Truth. But at least its manageable, and understandable. Well, the Hitater (Hitler + Tater = Hitater), less so, but mostly.

18. LADY_MYSTIQUE

LADY_MYSTIQUE Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2008
    Hitlatater Tots. (Hitler + Tater Tots)

19. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    I have to agree- the official boards are too strict for my liking. Then again, I have a choice, as does anyone, about posting there. I simply choose not to. There are plenty of other forums about SWTOR to go to that are a tad more relaxed ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.