Vancouver DON'T PANIC!!!!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by lord-darkhelmet, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lord-darkhelmet Jedi Knight

star 3
    As you may or may not know, the long awaited film version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is due out next May, around the same time of another film which I can't quite remember the name. ;) Anyway, Yahoo has some production photos and a teaser trailer up, which you can see if you go here. The teaser isn't much, but I'm still excited about this. There's been some rather odd casting decisions in the making of this film, including (obligatory Star Wars tidbit) Warwick "Wicket" Davis as Marvin the paranoid android. This movie could be very good, or it could really suck, but I'm still not panicking!
  2. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't forget your towel and stay hoopy.
  3. lord-darkhelmet Jedi Knight

star 3
    No worries there, I'm one hoopy frood.
  4. artoo-am-not Jedi Padawan

See the new trailer and more info at the official site. The more I see of this, the better I like it. :D
  5. omar_r786 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah this movie looks pretty sweet.
  6. VancouverDGillies Jedi Padawan

Judging from the trailer, I say it's really gonna suck.
  7. SquallLeonhart Jedi Knight

star 1
    Looks like a fun movie...
  8. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Going by the trailer and the reports that say this film will not be a line-by-line adaptation of the radio show or books or TV show, I'm looking forward to it very muchly.

I think one of the reasons for the success of the books is that they didn't try to copy the radio program, but instead took advantage of the medium, and mucked about with the story to make it work. The TV show, on the other hand, wasn't as successful in my mind. It worked to some extent in that they had many of the same actors in the roles, but it was too much of a re-hash of what I already knew. Also, one of the few things they did change, Trillian being a ditzy blonde in a skimpy outfit, really didn't work at all for the character.

It's hard to judge a film based on a two minute clip, but I must say I love the way the characters are described so far. Ford is confident, Zaphod is stylish, Arthur is confused, and the Vogons are frumpy. And I don't know who that guy is, who's actually just half-of-a-guy, walking across the table, but he looks just plain cool.
  9. TheDave Jedi Knight

star 1
    yay! Ford is being played by one of my favourite conschous hip-hop artists, Mos Def. I love that guy, plus he's a great actor. If you don't believe me, watch "The woodsman".
  10. VancouverDGillies Jedi Padawan

New trailer came out, and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better this time. I actually do wanna see the movie now, where as..I just wasn't feelin it in the previous trailer.

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/trailers/

edit:fixed URL
  11. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey, thanks for the heads-up on the new trailer, although the link didn't quite work for me for some reason. But anyway, I found it on the site and you're right it does look very cool (although I liked the previous trailer too). This time we get the voices of the book and Marvin, which are both bang on, and having the trailer being an entry in the guide was a nice touch. It captures the flavour of Adams' humour while still keeping it fresh.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.