main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Don't shop at Target for figures anymore

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by MomawNadon, Mar 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MomawNadon

MomawNadon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2001
    Earlier today I went to Target with the extra Jedi Council Yoda figure that I had bought the day before with the intent of a refund. To my surprise, the man at the service desk called the manager over and asked her if I could return it. They then showed me a paper hung on the wall that supposedly went into effect last June. It stated that Star Wars figures only would not be able to be returned even if you had your receipt. This really ticked me off. One of their excuses was that many people were buying the rarer figures and returning the peg warmers, so all Target stores put this rule into effect. The other excuse was that all Star Wars figures have a universal bar code, so they don't know that you are taking back the proper figure. I had trouble believing this, since I once tried to return an Orn Free Taa to Wal-Mart and they told me that the bar code was for another figure. I explained that just two weeks ago, I was allowed to return a figure there at Target. I had heard nothing of this policy until today. I even went to the toys and saw no such policy in sight. I told the managaer that they should have this policy hanging in the toys where people could see it in order to prevent such a devastation for others trying to return a simple action figure. I also suggested that the cashiers let customers know that their purchase cannot be returned. This is major bantha poodoo.

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    No offense, man, but you're whining because you couldn't return something that you didn't have the receipt for?

My brilliant suggestion that you may nothave thought of: Next time you want to return something bring the receit. (What an idea, eh?)

(The fact that someone is complaining about this is, in itself, amusing.)

3. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Regardless whether or not he had his receipt, he was told that even if he had it he could not return the figure.

4. SithLord1968

SithLord1968 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2000
    ....why did you buy an *extra* Jedi Council figure, if you didn't want it?

5. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Lately I have noticed the same problems you have. I mean, especially during the time EP.II first came out. They like had many rules in place to prevent fans from getting a certian amount of figures. That is why I shoped at Wal-Mart or Toys-R-Us, although Toys-R-Us costs way more then Target, they still have the largest selection.

6. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Well just be careful with what you buy.

7. Jacen_Solo3

Jacen_Solo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2001
    I'm not sure where you are from, but you should check into your states laws reguarding purchase protection. It may be illegal for them to refuse you a refund.

8. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    I am sorry that you had that problem with Target but my sister found me a B-Wing on Clearance for $5 there and not to be rude if you think I am but who cares what the store is as long as get something StarWars, I had a whinny like problem with K-Mart where they had a cash register break down and people in front of me took forever and I had just one AOTC Plo Koon, 30 minutes but you HAVE to go everywhere you never what you will find.

9. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Well, sorry about the hassle, but regardless, you will not get a cash refund anywhere without a receipt.

Wal-mart and Toys R Us will have no problems with you returning unopened merchandise for store credit. It's odd that Target would. But they're odd that way. I once had a VHS tape (back in the day) I tried to return there because it was defective, and they wouldn't let me without a receipt. So I took it to Suncoast and exchanged it for another one.

10. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 19, 2000
    I returned a Saga Mace Deluxe at Target not to long ago and had no problems. I had received it as a gift and I didn't have a receipt or anything, so I did have to show my drivers license and fill a piece of paper, but after that they gave me a store credit slip.

Still, some stores are different. There are two different Walmarts I go to and one will only give store credit even with a receipt, the other will actually give you cash, even without a receipt. I guess it's up to the store how they handle their returns, and sadly it looks like you went to a store that is overly strict with returns.

Why don't you just take your return to another store? As long as there isn't a Target sticker on it or anything I'd imagine you could pretty much return it anywhere you'd like.

11. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Hey I'm with Xantos. I just found and Ephant Mon figure at target the other day. I had been desperatly trying to find that blasted figure for some time. When I find a new figure, ecspecially these day when NO stores ever restock their shelves, its quite a find, regardless of the store. It does suck about your problem, but its not like we have never had problems with returns.

Forcebewitya!

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    You shouldve kept the reicet

13. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    I took back a Clonetrooper w/ Speeder bike to Target 2 days after Christmas and had no trouble. I think that they are pulling your leg.

14. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I actually do most of my shopping at Target. It's the closest to my house. Also, for some reason, the Wallmarts and Kmarts (2 of each) within 20 mins of my house) always have a really sporodic selection. One day I'll go and they will have nothing, and the next, something good... Target is much better.

Of course, when you go to Target, they give you TWO reciepts each time you buy anything. A gift one and a regular one.

15. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    Just take the reciept, and demand the refund. Cause a commotion if you must. If they still don't give you anything, start shouting out stuff like "Blasphemy! Liars!" and run out of the store before security can get you. ;)

16. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I work at a Target Distribution Center, so do me a favor and lighten my workload will ya!! 8-} Shop at Wal-Mart!!! [face_laugh] Target loves to come up with silly rules for the sake of being different! :mad:

17. SithLord1968

SithLord1968 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2000
    I think they were flabbergasted that you lost the receipt in only one day, and that they didn't feel like putting up with all the paperwork necessary to refund you the $5 without the receipt....
    I'd try to return it one more time and if that doesn't work, just give the toy away if you don't want it.
    ...I'm still wondering why you bought two if you only wanted one???

18. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    ok. as a target employee i will say this. If you come into our store we CAN,t Pull a figure we dont have on the shelves . So you have to wait. Also some targets have been slow in getting product becuase we orderd to much and we have to sell all of those peg warmers before we put all those new figures. Also if the packege is open and you have the recpite we will take it back

Ben

19. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    haha. in Targets defense, we are remodeling the bathroom fixtures and the wife spent close to $300 on stuff over the weekend...all original chrome look...then decided she wanted the white wood look instead... numerous exchanges later at multiple Target locations without any reciepts. and the last one refunded her cash for the difference.

20. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    The other excuse was that all Star Wars figures have a universal bar code, so they don't know that you are taking back the proper figure.

The other reason they might be doing this, is because the scalper has found nice ways to adapt to getting rid of Merchandise he dosent want. What some of them do, is buy a new rare figure. They than carfully remove the barcode sticker, and place it upon an older figure they do not want or cant' sell such as a pegwarmer from a pervious line. (This was most often seen with POTJ stickers being stuck to POTF II Figs)

After that, they just take it back to the store, go through the return process, and wala, they now have a new rare figure for free because they managed to get rid of an old one they dident want or couldant sell.

Though at first you would think, all he did was manage to trade a figure for another he proabbly bought for the same price, but after he marks it up and resells, he could make more Money that he initially spent on the toy he dident want - meaning he comes out perfeclty on top, and everyone else involved gets cheated.

So in truth, thats a rather nice policy Target has there. Prevents Scalplers from doing that, or anyone else in the mood to make some $$ from an elaborate toy selling scheme. 8-}

Though of course it will hinder those who want to make a simple return, but you shouldant blame Target. You should place the blame on people who have caused Target to put a policy like this into effect. :)

21. MomawNadon

Apr 20, 2001
    Sithman: No offense, man, but you need to read a little more carefully. I did have the receipt. Nowhere in my original post did I state that I did not have it.

SithLord1968: It was the first Jedi Council Yoda I had bought. I bought a second because it was in better condition; therefore, I wanted to return the first one with it's original receipt.

Everyone else, thanks for your responses.

22. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "It stated that Star Wars figures only would not be able to be returned even if you had your receipt. This really ticked me off."

I always keep my receipts at all times now but what is the point if you cannot return your product? I never shop at Target anyway.

23. MomawNadon

Apr 20, 2001
    By saying this: It stated that Star Wars figures only would not be able to be returned even if you had your receipt., I meant that only Star Wars figures would not be returned, with or without a receipt. But if it was Hot Wheels or Power Rangers, then yeah you can return it. I'm still gonna call the management there and the Hub of all Target stores about this.

24. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Maybe they are having current problems with people returning the items opened or returning old toys or figures. Or maybe they just wantto clear them out so they could make room for the next shipment. I mean the Target out here woul easily do that. For they want to make sure they ave none of the old toys left over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.