main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Don't you ever wonder why they haven't made you a Jedi Master?"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Joshy, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Joshy

Darth_Joshy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    Palpatine: Don't you ever wonder why they haven't made you a Jedi Master?
    Anakin: I wish I knew.

Is it just me, or was Anakin being stupid? The reason he wasn't a Jedi Master was because he hadn't taken a padawan learner. DUH...

Did he think that just because he killed Count Dooku that the Council would bend the rule for him?

Any thoughts?

2. andkiich

andkiich Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    Anakin equates mastery with physical prowess. He thinks that because he is a strong warrior that he should just be given the rank of master. He lacks the emotional and psychological aspects to be a well rounded master.

An old Chinese adage explains that a tiger is a great warrior, cunning and skilled, but is reactionary and lives of off instinct, whereas the dragon has all the attibutes of the tiger, but includes one additional skill - the ability to reason beyond the reactionary level. The tiger is selfish, doing as it pleases, whereas the dragon sees the big picture and acts for the good of the situation, not for the good of the self.

IMO, that is why Anakin was not made a master...he was/is a tiger and only when Luke helps with his redemption does he finally become the dragon, albiet for a short time.

3. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    I forgot about that little point. I guess maybe he thought they would bend the rules with mastership, just like they bent the rules with Anakin skipping the "normal" trials to become a knight.

4. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    Anakin obviously has little concern for laws and tradition and is convinced that his ability makes him greater than any other Jedi and wonders why all of the other Jedi don't see it his way. Plus Anakin doesn't do much thinking through the course of this movie.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's not always given because of training a Padawan, Saesee Tiin being a great example of a Master that never even had a Padawan.

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well, movie-wise, it's never explained how the system works.
    In EU-land though, this would be an issue, I agree.
    I also agree with those who said for Anakin, being a Jedi was all about power, no question.

7. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    Is everyone forgetting about Obi-Wan?
    He took Anakin as his Padawan after he killed Darth Maul.
    He became Anakin's MASTER.
    What's the difference?
    Anakin killed Dooku which was obviously more difficult, AND he fought in the Clone Wars beside Obi-Wan for how many years? As someone said earlier, you don't have to have a Padawan to be a Master. Obi in my opinion was less experienced than Anakin at that age, and yet they still made him a Master.
    I don't blame Anakin. The Council never treated him fairly.

8. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    They gave Anakin what he deserved, by falling to the Dark Side he proved that he had no right to the title of Jedi Master. Obi-Wan also killed a Sith Lord without delving into the Dark Side, as when Obi-Wan was angry he got pushed into the pit, thus Obi-Wan actually beat Maul as a Jedi whereas Anakin wasn't fighting like a Jedi when he defeated Dooku.

Also Obi-Wan's not a Jedi Master until Episode 3, in Episode 2 he's just a Jedi Knight.

9. Ani_Lover

Dec 15, 2005
    Um okay, Obi-Wan actually beat Maul as a Jedi ??

You say yourself that obi was angry when he got pushed into the pit. That's the point.
    Obi was ANGRY when Darth Maul killed Qui-Gon. THAT is what enabled him to kill Maul. And as I said earlier, Obi-Wan was a Jedi Knight and he was also a Master. Anakin's Master. You don't have to be on the Council to be a MASTER, Qui-Gon wasn't, but if you're on the Council, you should at least have the respect of your fellow Jedi by being named a MASTER. The council appointed Anakin to the Council for purely selfish reasons.

10. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Yeah, Anakin expects to be made a Master. He think being the chosen one or being the self proclaimed most powerful Jedi is good enough.

Really, to be a Master you have to earn it physically, mentally, and spiritually. You cannot expect to be made a Master. Being a Master is not garunteed to every Jedi, but it is achievable to most.

11. Darklord07

Darklord07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    Anakin wore his feelings about him like a holobanner...
    He had power, wisdom, but he couldn't control he feelings, he wasn't worthy of being a Master yet.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin's being greedy. He's thinking that he should be made Master based on his victories from the Clone Wars, but that's not reason enough to be a Master. Much less a Knight. The Council was too quick to give Anakin his Knighthood following the mission to Praestylin with Nejaa Halcyon. To be a Master, one has to prove that he or she has reached a state of being that is worthy of being a Master. Qui-gon had reached that level, but not enough to be a member of the Council. Obi-wan was ready to be a Knight and proved himself by not killing Maul out of revenge. Anakin had only proven that he was worthy of being a Knight no more than six standard months earlier. Palpatine knows this and knows that it's the best way to get Anakin on his side, if he plays up Anakin's ego and makes him question the Jedi.

13. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Obi-Wan would have died, if he hadn't calmed himself down and jumped out of the pit to deliver the killing blow. Anger wouldn't have allowed him to think clearly enough to reach for Qui-Gon's saber and slay Maul. The difference is that Obi-Wan was able to overcome his anger in time whereas Anakin wasn't and as Sinister said, Obi-Wan proved himself by not killing Maul out of revenge.

Jedi Knights and Jedi Masters are two seperate ranks within the Order. Everyone on the Council(except Anakin) is a Jedi Master but not every Jedi Master is on the Council. Qui-Gon was a Master and wasn't on the Council as well.

Anakin didn't deserve to be a Master at all, he still had much to learn.

14. Ani_Lover

Dec 15, 2005
    See you just said what I already stated earlier, Everyone on the Council(except Anakin) is a Jedi Master.....
    which proves what they did was wrong. If they didn't think Anakin was ready to be a Master, then they NEVER should have appointed him to the Council. As I said, they did it purely for selfish reasons, not caring what kind of a position they put Anakin in.

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't think he should have been a Master or on the Council.

16. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Yeah. I've said many times that Obi-Wan was not acting in anger when he made the killing blow. His anger probably gave him enough of a speed boost to destroy one end of Maul's sabre, but after he got pushed down the hole he calmed down. Which is why there is no inconsistency between Obi-Wan becoming a Jedi Knight by killing a Sith, and Anakin becoming the replacement apprentice by killing a Sith. Also, you have to look at the fact that when Maul died, Kenobi had been the defenseless one, but with Anakin Dooku was defenseless. (btw, there may be an intentional contrast in the fact that Obi-Wan uses a green sabre to kill Maul, compared to Anakin killing Dooku with both a blue and a red).

I agree.

That's more debatable.

Fair enough

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Dooku was on the Jedi Council too before he left the Order. Obviously, everyone thought he was wise enough to be a Master. We all know how that went.

18. masteroftheforce20

masteroftheforce20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2005
    Anakin believed that because of his abilities he was ready to become a Jedi Master. I think there was some ego going on where he thought just because he was the Chosen One, he should automatically get to that level. However, he just wasn't ready emotionally to become a Master. He was unable to control his feelings, for example when he killed Count Dooku. This is probably what the other members of the Jedi Council saw and that's why they didn't allow him to become a Master.
    With the other council members promoting him to a member, I think they did the right thing at the time. They didn't know what Palpatine's motives were and they needed someone who was close to him. What they didn't know was how much of an influence Palpatine has on Anakin. It was probably a mistake for them to allow him to become a council member but I am sure something else would have set him off on the path of the dark side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.