main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Don't you guys want to make money?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediOutcast, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediOutcast

JediOutcast Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2001
    I mean making fan films is so awesome. It is like doing what you want to do for you. But we also have to pay the bills. I have been thinking about doing some corporate video stuff. Does anyone here do it and if so how in the world do you get started?

Thanks.

2. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Before anyone jumps on you...

Quite frankly, in one sense of your post, we can't Otherwise, Lucas would take away our right to making fanfilms if we were making money off of them.

Another sense of your post was, in general, for putting our skills we develop here to other jobs in the "real world". Well, most of us do. Or we're taking part time jobs at the local supermarket because of our still being in school, but that's anohter story. Many fanfilm makers have real jobs that their skills developed from here go into.

3. JediOutcast

Jun 26, 2001
    I totally understand that we can not make money on our fan film projects. In fact that is kind of a cool part of it. I mean we still do it. There is a lot of talent here and I have learned much over the last couple of years. I was just waondering how you get started with your own business? You really could not go into a business and market yourself by showing them kids waving light sabers at each other.

4. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    I would like one day to be able to do this for a living in the real world. Especially 3d- but I'm no nearly skilled enough.
    I expect most of us have dreams of working for ILM or some company.

5. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Well, I'd like to get a copy of the legal copyright in question. I want to know ALL my rights of what I can and cannot do. Do we have a copy of that on TF.N?

6. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    JediOutcast,

Most of the filmmakers here who are pursuing a career in that field do projects outside of fanfilms as well. Fanfilms are a fun little diversion, something to toy around with, but for many of us it's just for experience and enjoyment. Anything that goes on my reel is not from a fanfilm. It's from an original project that I have created.

If you want to get into corporate or industrial videography then I would suggest finding a film school that has a lot of contacts in that area. I know there are several in the Southwestern states (Arizona and New Mexico have a couple) that cater to those types of careers.

7. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Of course we want to make money. That's why the next project out of Devon Read (PTH), Chris Hanel (DLR) and I (PTH/2S) will be . . . well, why spoil it.

8. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I dont like making money. I am one with nature.

~Neszis~

9. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    mmm... money

*funny simspson's gurgle thing that homer does with his tongue hanging out of his mouth*

:D

10. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    I still want to find the fan film copyright document.

11. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    You really could not go into a business and market yourself by showing them kids waving light sabers at each other.

Well, maybe not, but it gets you close, as does the experience you get. Behold: a (supposedly) true tale as told by Whispering Death (his third post down): clickie.

12. andalite

andalite Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    That's a pretty interesting story. It would be so cool to get a break like that in life.

13. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999
    The other thing to do is find out if there are any post production houses in your town.

Try and get an internship there.

Long ago I knew i wanted to get into the video industry. I never took any classes. I just applied myself, did a ton of reading on the subject. bought a few programs (premiere to start) got some experience (doing fanfilm stuff no less)
    and here I am. DVD Author and DV Editor at the oldest post house in Oregon.

I was kinda lucky getting the job though. I was at the right place at the right time, talking to the right person. :D

I'm also a certified pc/network engineer so my primary responsibility when i was hired was IT Management. once I installed the servers and wiring though, things got slow and I was able to take on stuff i found much more interesting, like 3D, Editing and DVD stuff.

14. Art_Vandalet

Art_Vandalet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    I'm doing some music television type stuff but not for money, it's being done on a zero budget as of right now.

15. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    "the fan film copyright document"

Corrin,

What are you talking about? We have no copyright document on TFN. We are not lawyers.

LFL is not going to give out any permission for anything. We all know the rules based on their comments when certain films were released (TROOPS, DUALITY, EP2 Trailer).

Copyright violations are illegal, period. No getting around it.

16. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    All I hear are rumors about copyrights. GL said this, or GL said that... I thought there might be an actually document listing, with some sense of permanance, everything we can or cannot do.

Or is it simply, "you make a profit you're screwed"?

EDIT: I have no intention of violating copyrights. I just want to know what they all are.

17. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    is everyone sure they understand the question???

Let's not start another STUPID and LAME debate about how to make money off fanfilms.

Isn't he asking if we would ever want to go professional???

I know I came here about a year and a few months ago... before then I had taken classes on premiere and photoshop, but that was about it... special effects of mine were acheived by using FLASH 4 which I had learned in web design class....

Since coming here, I have learned many new techniques and HAVE HAD the desire to go pro... so, I went out and found a job where I film and edit for a production company that does all sorts of coperate work such as commercials and then some charity celeb events... such as golf outings and such... I was just flown to chicago from mexico by my boss just to do a single job... he paid me quite nicely and all... and paid for my lodging and flight and everything, but the point is, I am getting PROFESSIONAL experience... and when I apply to USC and NYU in these next few months, I'm hoping that they will see that I pursued something other than sitting on a message board with star wars fanboys (no offense :p)

I got news for a few people here who do want to go pro, and maybe get into a really good film school-- it's go OUTSIDE and find a REAL JOB. This is really nice and all, and you can make amazing demo tapes with what you learn here, but there was a guy last year who applied to NYU... he had the most AMAZING demo tape I have seen in a long time... his cartoon animations were disney quality... but the guy never DID ANYTYING... . so, when NYU looked at his app, they didn't see an amazingly talented kid (which he was) but rather a kid who "played on his computer all summer".

SO, if you want to go pro, there are plenty of jobs out there that love people with editing skills... go find them.

Cya
    Mike

18. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I'd say we were making money in a sence...

I mean think about it, GL gets paied in money, big deal. We get paied in knowing that our fanfilms will be watched by loads of people and they will enjoy it (should enjoy it ;)). So the money part it not realy a problem.

19. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    ^^^ cop-out to the question.

:p

Cya
    Mike

20. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    our fanfilms will be watched by loads of people and they will enjoy it

I have emails that totally contradict this statement :p

21. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Well, I had two ieas that I wanted to handle on my own.

1: I'm writting a script where we go back in time (Trust Me, it'll work) and the bad guys kill Nomi Sunrider, Arca Jeth, Ulic and Cay Qel'Droma, and several other novel cannon characters and ultimately change the story line (See Back to the Future II) Is that out of bounds?

2: Is there a remote possiblilty that if GL makes a profit on any fanfilm I do, and I make some profit too (Note: I did mention that GL would be making money on his own creation) than is it breaking copyrights? He has novelists that make money writing stories in his universe, and he makes money off them too, so...

EDIT1: I'm not an idiot, and I wouldn't dare do anything if it was even remotely illegal. :p

EDIT2: And I'm sorry I dragged this topic out so long...

22. Jedi Chimi

Jedi Chimi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2000
    The novelists also have licenses from LFL, which I'm sure you do not.

If your curious about copyrights, I suggest you go here.

23. JediOutcast

Jun 26, 2001
    Thank you Wixmmm for bringing the topic back. Let me ask you then, who do I call or how do I advertise my skills? Where would I send a demo reel to?

24. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Corrin:
    The scenario you describe about Lucasfilm profiting from fanfilms in some way applies to the AtomFilm contest entries... I can't go into the specifics, but there is a profit-sharing system set up with Atom and Lucasfilm with the makers of the "official" fanfilms....

Fenn

25. jbird69

jbird69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2000
    I've branched out into commercials, and two of my other films are making rounds on the festival circuit, and one is playing next week in NYC(click here ). You need to have a demo reel to show your work, or know someone. I am making two commercials for my friend's computer business. If you need any help, PM me so I can assist you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.