main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Don't you hate "countdowns" in games?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Ugh, I'm almost through the Droid Control Ship in "Republic Commando", and I have to do everything in four minutes. What a pain.

I also hated the countdown in "Halo 1".

Why do gamemakers feel like they have to do this in games? It just makes you feel so rushed.

2. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    It's simply a narrative device used to create tension. And it does.
    Not that I can talk for Republic Commando, but the Halo ending would have been a dull series of triggered set-pieces if it were'nt for the countdown.

3. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    But it's just stupid. Why did I go through all those levels at my leisure, and then wind up with something I have to do in four minutes? It's just bad planning.

4. Ryozo

Ryozo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 3, 2002
    They can be, at times, quite frustrating, but I don't quite hate them. To be fair, though, every time limit I've run across in a game has a good reason for being there.

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I feel for you. It took me something like 30 tries to get past that damn bridge [face_frustrated]

I guess it works as a device, though. Highly annoying and very effective at the same time. And there are only few alternatives to spice things up.

The only countdowns I liked were the asteroid early in Mysteries of the Sith
    and the bomb in the burning Kalinatek building in Splinter Cell.

6. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    well i got the Republic Commando and Halo ones on my first try, so i didn't find them so annoying, but i've played games where I swear its impossible and you just give up and quite. So yeah, if can go either way.

7. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Well, I was really enjoying RC. It's a kick a-- game. Then, this countdown thing happened, and now I'm stuck. Gah. Right on the first level there's a countdown.

On Halo 1, I haven't even finished the game, It was just too hard, and sad to come all that way and then I can't finish it.

I did finish Halo 2, though, so I know I'm not a crappy gameplayer.

8. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I rather like it, creates extra tension and sometimes extra difficulty . Unless its really frustrating and seems like its in the way.

9. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I always enjoy the countdowns at the end of (some of the) Metroid games. But they never were particularily difficult though...

10. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Try playing Superman Man of Steel for the Xbox. That'll cure any joy someone has for Countdowns in a game.

That game was nothing but one insanly short count down after another. Never had time to enjoy flying around as Superman.

11. darth_blue_balloone

darth_blue_balloone Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2004
    There was a free-roam mode in the Super-Man game but I do understand where your coming from Doright.

Wow! I cant believe I bought and completed that game... :oops:

12. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "On Halo 1, I haven't even finished the game, It was just too hard, and sad to come all that way and then I can't finish it."

I finished it on my first try with more than a minute left on the countdown. n00b.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Metroid countdowns did add a good amount of tension to the game- especially on Super Metroid if you decided to take the detour and help save the Etecoons and Dachola.

In a way, the original Metroid probably paved the way for all "things are being blown to hell now get out of here before it blows" game endings- even what I've read about Halo 1's ending sounds similar.

In other cases- like, say, certain missions in StarCraft, the countdown is appropriate since you wouldn't have unlimited time to accomplish goals in certain scenarios.

14. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    especially on Super Metroid if you decided to take the detour and help save the Etecoons and Dachola.

To me it's no detour, it's the only way. I always save the Etecoons and Dachola, and I complete the game in less than 3 hours.

At least when I last played the game completely through, probably more than 5 years ago...

15. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I still say he sucks.

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I really hated fighting Krueller in Resident Evil 4 for the sole reason of that stupid countdown they throw at you. It took me days to beat him and get away in time to survive the explosion.

17. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    That was Weskers Lacky right?

I didn't have a problem with the countdown part of that one.. But it took me forever beat him enought to get to the part of the fight when the countdown started.

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I didn't have a problem with the countdown part of that one.. But it took me forever beat him enought to get to the part of the fight when the countdown started.

Agreed, just getting to him was a pain as well. My problem wasn't with killing him, it was killing him and then making it out of the area in time. I always wound up just a few seconds late, but eventually got by him.

19. Lucky_Luke

Lucky_Luke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2004
    I have to say, the worst two countdowns in games must have been: the escape off the asteroid in MotS. And in the otherwise great game Hitman, after you auto-bombed a terrorist into oblivion, you had to find a nuclear bomb on a freighter in Amsterdam, which was quite a pain if you didn't know where to look for. Plus, there was no possibility for in-game saving, so you had to repeat the mission over and over again.

LL :)

20. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    My favorite countdowns have always been in the Metal Gear Solid series. In MGS3 you have acouple of countdowns during the boss fights. The first one is when you plant C-3 at a warehouse to destroy the Shagohod but ofcourse you get caught and you have 5-6 minutes to fight Col. Volgin. Then at the end you have to fight the Boss, and you have 10 minutes until the airstrike happens.

21. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    In my opinion the greatest "countdown" level was in Jedi Knight. Well, there wasn't really a countdown, but your time was rather limited. I'm talking about the level where the big spaceship is crashing and you have to do some tasks and then escape it before it crashes, and all the while the ship is tumbling down a canyon, so everything is twisted and walls become floors. I thought that was very difficult and nerve-wrecking, but very satisfying and realistic.

22. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    There surely was a countdown on that level, I remember sitting in a corner of the map and just listening as the computer counted down through the minutes and then seconds, so I could see the mission failed cinematic.

That being said, now that I remember it, the last Kyle level in Mysteries of the Sith on the Imperial Assault Asteroid, after he destroys the reactor cooling system, the 2 minute "THIS ASTEROID IS GOING TO BLOW UP. GET OFF IT NOW." countdown was utterly horrific.
    I recall there was this particularly tricky chasm jump that I kept falling in because I was speeding around too fast just to get out of there, oh yeah, and there were rocket troopers on the opposite ledge as well; and even after that, I was racking my nails as the 20 second warning piped in as the escape platform elevated at what seemed like the slowest possible speed with the exit at the top.

MotS was quite fiendishly hard at times.

23. Joking_Around

Joking_Around Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    Dude Sithman you have some anger issues...calm down a little kid and stop complaining.

24. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Why not? It adds to the tension. "The tension mounts! On with the bodycount!" Anyone who can guess that quote will be rewarded!

25. DarthAntonio

DarthAntonio Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2005
    I'm a gaming pro, i think countdowns are absolute rubbish, they are rushed, and have no point. the timer had 1:37:96 on Halo when i finished it on legendary, i thort halo was easy, i hate phony countdowns tho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.