main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Don't you hate "countdowns" in games?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i only hate countdowns in games when they make me die.

2. pgoodyea

pgoodyea Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2004
    I also can't stand countdowns. Rainbow Six 3 had a really bad timer during the garage level. You had to catch up to the main bad guy before he got away. That one took me forever to beat.

What bothers me the most about the timers is having to replay the same levels over and over again. Most of the time you are only off by a few seconds, but nope, you have to start all over again, another 30 minutes.

I just hate having to replay any level in any game. That is why I prefer RPGs, b/c if you fail then the game is ready for that and takes you down another path.

The Bond games usually have bad countdowns also.

3. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Republic Commando is like that. I thought the countdown thing was just some random voice, but I freaked out when I got to the bridge, had about 1,000 things attacking me, and I couldn't even get near the console.

4. pgoodyea

pgoodyea Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2004
    I did like the countdown in RC, but maybe that is b/c it only took me twice and I like replaying the levels in that game. The countdown on the bridge is kind of fun, b/c you are making a last stand with 3 other guys against hundreds of droids. I usually set up my guys to attack the droids, while I hack the computer. This makes it even more nerve racking if you have 5.1 surround sound, b/c you can't see what's going on, you can only here this huge fire fight and see your squad drop one by one! Awesome! Loving RC!

5. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Countdowns are fun. They have that sexy monotone woman counting down 5 4 3 2 1.

Unless you turn on the sexy voice in Unreal 2004 she sounds like she's having an... [face_mischief]

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    A baby?

A brain aneurism?

A cow?

7. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    he said "an" you dolt.

So it would be:

an baby

an brain aneurism

an cow

LOBOT!

8. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Actually, NO. You only use the article "an" when the following noun begins with a vowel. For example, "an idea" versus "a thought".

So YOU = LOBOT x 2

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Must I really PWN you?

The author who you were replying to said:

sounds like she's having an...

you can't then go and change HIS sentence to an "a" because all words you come up with in your pitiful attempts are never going to be correct, unless they infact begin in a vowel and are preceeded by an "an".

dolt.

10. Thrawn_is_so_hot

Thrawn_is_so_hot Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2005
    The answer is "She is having an orgasm."

I provided a handy link in case you don't know what that word is.

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Can we also have an "Outstanding n00b Award" each week too please Solo?

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Thrawn, are you serious? That's what he really meant?

I had no idea.

13. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Click this.

I just wanted to end the pointless bickering and get this back on topic. I forgot this was games for a minute and that I needed to switch usernames back.

14. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I hated the countdown in the final level in the The World is Not Enough game, the level with the sinking submarine. It wasn't actually a timer counting down, but a depth gauge displaying how deep the sub was. But still, it's the same deal, when the gauge reached 2000 metres the sub would hit bottom and implode. It was so damn hard to find a way to the reactor room, and after that you were supposed to survive against the surviving soldiers. I guess you had about 5 minutes or so, the sub had turned over so the walls became floors and, on top of that, sections of the sub were flooded.

15. IEatPoodoo

IEatPoodoo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    The hardest countdown I've ever faced was in Conker's Bad Fur Day.

16. Joking_Around

Joking_Around Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    Countdowns can be awesome...for example the Halo 1 countdown while easy made the warthog escape VERY fun

17. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    The hardest countdown I?ve ever faced wasn?t quite a traditional countdown. I was playing the zombie graveyard area of Vampire: Bloodlines, and to try to beat that area without celerity and with low weapons skills was pretty tough. The object is to spend five minutes killing zombies, making sure that none escape. I always lost in the final few seconds, and it got damn annoying.

With level three or four celerity it?s easy, but with no speed and crappy weapons skills it?s damn tough.

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    that's good. a countdown that keeps you someplace instead of limits the time to get you someplace. I think one part in Nova Prospect in Half-Life 2 qualifies as that. Defending yourself and four entrances, plus a walkway, with three turrets and your guns until Alyx finally comes.
    I hate that part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.