main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Don't you think the NJO dramatis personaes are poorly done?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Warlord_Ken, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    I know it isn't very crucial, but IMO the "Dramatis Personae" at the beginning of each NJO novel isn't very good. They're always the same format, which makes it uninteresting, and they're terribly unorganized. Some of them are alphabetical, which is better than nothing, but most others just list the names randomly, making it awfully confusing.

The best DP I think is the one for Aaron Allston's books. There, the DP's are actually ORGANIZED by different affiliations (i.e. New Republic, Jedi, Yuuzhan Vong).

But besides the organization part, the DP IMO should also list the character's rank first, then the affiliation following it, i.e.

Grand Admiral Gilad Pellaeon, Galactic Empire (male human)

Captain Ariel Yage of the Widowmaker, Galactic Empire (female human)

etc.

What do you all think?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't really care, but they could be better done.

-Evan

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    They should be like the X-Wing ones, in distinct sections.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, the X-wing books had the best dramatis personaes in the EU.

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The underlyning problem is that the entire NJO is standardised. When asked why some key players were omitted in Rebel Stand, Allston said something to the effect of the Dramatis Personae was done way before.

Seeing how that little book list at the front of the is mucked up, this isn't surprising. I mean, all you have to do is just add book title or two as the months go by, so how could that make typos? Simply adjust the lines accordingly.

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that it's good that they put them in in the first place

7. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I like the Dramatis Personae, don't mind it as is, however, the suggestions you have made are pretty good.

8. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    I usually just flip right past them

9. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I don't like it. It gives Leia short shrift and then some. Pretty soon it will say, Leia: Former government clerk.

10. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    The X-wing series had the best Dramatis Personaes.

I never realised where the tradition of having DPs came from until we studied Shakespeare this term at school... 8-}

11. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    The DP really needs an overhaul, with in the military and governmental sections, descending rank of order, while in the Jedi and civilian, most likely alphabetically would do well, IMO.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    What language is dramatis personae? I mentioned that term to some professional editors and got a "What the--?" He understood Cast of Characters as a term better.

13. snarf5181

snarf5181 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    Looks latin to me. Maybe the issue with it is some characters (jaina for example) fit into multiple categories (jedi and military) or maybe its just laziness :p

14. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    I don't like it. It gives Leia short shrift and then some. Pretty soon it will say, Leia: Former government clerk.

That's true. :)

Why can't the GFFA just give Leia an official rank, like Ambassador or something? I mean, she's not so bored as to do volunteer work. She's probably gonna want some pay for risking her neck, flying around the galaxy into the great unknowns (i.e. Galantos, Bakura).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.