main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dooku: The most unnecessary character in the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BillBrasky, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Like Go-Mer said, most of these characters are unneccessary. The problem isn't do we need them, the problem is are they used well. Dooku had a great start, but became a throw away villian. He really needed to be in Grievous's role during ROTS to justify his place in the PT.

2. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    actually, i think dooku was more necessary than grievous.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    DooKu was used for what he was meant for. No more, no less.

4. BillBrasky

BillBrasky Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2004
    Actually Dooku had one of the worst starts in the PT the only person who was any worse was Greivous. If you think about it from the ending of AOTC we basically know that Dooku really has no other major purpose, he started the clone wars, now he has to die. Any intelligent person would assume that at last the last half of episode III would be Anakin turning into Dartj Vader and ending with The Duel. So thats leaves Dooku with no more story. The first half of episode III would be used more or less to tie up loose ends Mace, Greivous, Jedi Purge, and Dooku etc. So after coming into the story int helast half hour in AOTC he would half ot die in the first half of episode III. Now if you replace Dooku wiht Maul, or even Jango, you get a character with more importance, and more connection with the fans. Not just some guy who has about the same screen time in the cartoon show as in the movies.

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I think having the progression from Maul to Tyrannous to Vader is more interesting, because you first have the utter symbol of Sith Evil in TPM with Maul, as an introduction Maul's loss for words makes him appear more like a true monster.

With DooKu, we have the precedence that a Jedi could be turned into a Sith, and at the same time we present a Sith Lord that is much more relatable than Maul.

This paralells Anakin's loss of nievety, and his eventual embrace of the "dark side" point of view.

It would be cool to see more of these characters, but there is only so much time they can have for these films and in most cases, they have to get on with the story. There just isn't much time for added fluff.

6. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    That is what the PT is missing a solid villan. With the use of a steady villan the Prequals would have felt like we were watching the OT. It is like Loco_for_Lucas said could you a imagine the OT with vader killed off and some new villan replaces him. And for me being a fan of darth maul i am not complaining about that maul died i am just saying that the PT would have been better if dooku were not in them dooku may have been a political figure, but he is not as intresting as Maul. sure he has more depth but Darth Maul has mystery surrouding him and fans would have gotten more in depth with the maul character as the story went on and the betrayal would have had a different feel to the reaction of Maul then dooku. When dooku gave his reaction it is one of him begging for mercy ( you can tell by the way his face looks ) And if maul were to give his reaction it would be one of anger and betrayl. see even little details would be more intresting to notice if it were the other way around. imagine if all the movies were difefrent. It would be a much better saga,

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I for one don't want to feel like I am watching the Classic Trilogy when I am watching the prequels. I want to feel like I am watching the prequels.

There is a main villain through the entire 6 film saga: Darth Sidious.

I certainly don't think the saga is in any need of "imrpovement", and quite frankly the suggestion that Maul should have come back in Episode II and or III strikes me as something that would make the saga worse off.

8. Maphisto86

Maphisto86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    EXACTLY!!! Darth Sidious is the main villian of the PT!!! Argueably of the entire saga!

I loved Darth Maul but like Boba Fett, Jango Fett and General Greivous they where secondary characters to boost the plot and aid the main villian. At first I was sad that Maul did not show up in Episode II but Count Dooku kinda grew on me. I was (and still am) a big Christopher Lee fan so that helped also.

As to say that Dooku's death in Episode III was not shocking I beg to differ... The simplicity of how Anakin kills him is shocking in and of itself. Here we have a similar situation in Episode II but instead of Dooku beating Anakin with ease it's the other way around!!! Just watch how easily Anakin finally finishes off Darth Tyranus... Dooku/Tyranus slashes forward with his saber but Anakin sidesteps and grabs both of the Sith Lords arm's with one hand and slices them off with the other. It was so fast that if you blink you would miss it! Very much like Anakins defeat in Episode II. I also love how it mirrors Luke and Darth Vader's battle in Episode VI.

Anyway... basically Dooku was a nessecary character! If Darth Maul showed up Im afraid that he may not of kept that "cool" quality about him. Besides as said before... Palpatine/Darth Sidious is the true villian of the prequels. He shows up in every single one and is always behind the scenes.

9. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I think Count Dooku was a superb character. The only thing I didn't like about Count Dooku was that he wasn't in Episode I. It would have shown a bit more depth to his character had he been seen as a Jedi, at least one who was on the Council. If not that I would have liked to see Count Dooku have at least one or two lines interacting with the Jedi.

Darth Maul served his purpose. To me, he wouldn't have lasted two seconds with Yoda. He couldn't even beat Obi-1. It was better for the saga to have three Sith apprentices before the Sith was destroyed by the Chosen One.

10. JediStu2

JediStu2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2003
    I wouldn't say that Dooku was useless in the Prequel Trilogy, it seems a bit harsh. Although his character is diminished a bit in Episode 3 only because of his lack of screen time and quick death. Before Ep 2 came out, I was hoping we'd see a different type of Sith Lord than Maul. Maul was cool but if we got another Sith like him it would have just come off as a rehash. I always looked at Dooku as sort of a dark side version of Ben from Ep 4.

The only thing that bothered me about Dooku was that he bested Obi-Wan not once but twice! I'm a huge Obi-Wan fan and the only person Obi-Wan lost to (other than his "loss" to Vader) was Dooku in the entire saga. I just thought Obi-Wan should have been able to take him down, but I guess I'm just biased.

11. Lightside_Jedi

Lightside_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2005
    Dooku is unecessary. He doesn't even do his own stunts and that just ruins the movies.

12. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    Maul is unecessary. He doesn't even do his own dialogue and that just ruins the movies.

13. Darth_Ambitious

Darth_Ambitious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2004
    We all know that it is Grievous and Jar-Jar that are the most unnecessary characters ever. Anyone who claims Grievous is a lead into Vader is delusional, that inlcudes Mr. Lucas!

14. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    How can anyone say Jocasta Nu's lover is unnecessary?!?!

15. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Or if Tarkin, the other main vilain of ANH, were killed off at the end of ANH for applause, and then Boba Fett was introduced at the Executor briefing scene and not given enough screen time to care, and then Jabba was brought in at the beginning of the next movie only to kill him off almost immediately.

Man, any movies like that would really suck.

This seems to be a case of expecting a copy of the OT. Yes, the OT had one major villain in the foreground. The PT has one major villain in the background. Coincidentally, this happens to fit the plot perfectly - in the PT, the Sith are in hiding, working to undermine the Republic. In the OT, they rule the galaxy and are hardly subtle about it. The major villain in both cases is exactly where he needs to be. The PT, with its theme of a villain working behind the scenes, doesn't need a Vader redux.

16. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    The thing is, Tarkin was nowhere near being the main villain of ANH, that was Vader. Tarkin's villainy extended as far as being a foil for Princess Leia. Vader was a threat to not only Leia, by way of interaction, but also with Obi-wan Kenobi, and Luke Skywalker, the film's protagonist. Vader was the main villain, and the sidelines supporting character was killed. TPM had two sidelines villains and AOTC didn't show us a visible villain for our heroes to act off of til the last half hour.

As for Boba Fett? Come on, he was just a plot device in a cool costume. He had nowhere near the significance of a Darth Vader, nor were we implied to care about him to the same degree as Maul, Dooku, or Grievous.

And Jabba, he's been mentioned consistently since AHN, so it wasn't like he just popped up out of nowhere in his designated movie like Dooku and Grievous did. We had no indication Dooku existed before he appeared, and we had no idea the droid armies needed or had a general until ROTS. It's not a good comparison.

If they were that sloppy, yes they would.

It's not really wanting a copy of the OT, the Prequels as they are have been copies of the OT, except those instances are called "mirroring." The Sith hiding in the shadows has nothing to do with these films' lack of a major recurring villain. It's like I said, making Palpatine out to be the main villain is like saying Hitler is the main villain of, say, Last Crusade. Just because they're "pulling the strings" doesn't necessarily make them the main villain; one must be proactive to be the villain, and in these sorts of films, where the Sith are in hiding, there is still plenty of room for proactive villainy. Vader was evil for three movies, and it had nothing to do with his being a part of the Empire, giving him free reign to be a jerk with whomever he pleases. He was evil because he was the villain, narrative shadowiness has nothing to do with it.

17. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    The only flaw about Dooku's presence in the PT is the lack of time. For a man who is driving the destiny of the galaxy through a tempest of blood, he gets little screen time.

Christopher Lee deserves better...

I agree, he should have been established in TPM. A line or two, a disgruntled utterance, something of that nature.

Perhaps Lucas will grace us with a useful revision for once and insert the good Count into the ending of TPM.

18. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    Great idea make TPM suck more than it already has.

19. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Ugh, no. That would be as bad as that last-minute pick-up shot shoehorned into TPM where Palpatine has to acknowledge Anakin's presence in some fashion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.