main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dooku the weakling and coughing Grievous

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by el_guido, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el_guido

el_guido Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    Jedicleric,
    Sure you can join our bull****-band. In fact, you are automatically granted the title of fart-blowing leader. Don't forget to clean your underwear when coming to our rehearsals though (i can smell your stench from here)...

2. Armagaiden

Armagaiden Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005

And come to think of it, Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar, and the other jedi go out like b*tches as well. Haha, looks like they just let Sidious slooooowly run them through with the first jab...

3. Ray_Stantz

Ray_Stantz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    Well, I wouldn't say it was BSing him, but I think he's talking about the whole spin horizontally, not using 2 sabers like a lawmower... but I'm usually wrong, I'll shut up now.

4. mykillmyers

mykillmyers Jedi Master star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    Grevious coughing was totally a tie in with the clone wars cartoon Ep.25 I think, the cartoon was pretty much a segway to Ep.3.

5. el_guido

el_guido Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    I just expected more of Dooku. Grievous had been portrayed as a bad mf, but i found him to be a lame coward, one who forgot to take his medicine.

And if Anakin became so strong, howcome he did lose against Obi-Wan? Not only of arrogancy. Anakin wasn't strong versus Tyrannus, Dooku was simply way too weak or he was meant to be cut out quickly...

6. FurryFriend

FurryFriend Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2005
    Dooku went out wayyyy too easily, even if you consider Anakin had grown stronger since their last engagement. Here's a major character, who rallied the Seperatist movement, who gets his head chopped off after ten minutes with a pretty pathetic duel sequence.

Greivious also went out too easily. In the book Labrynth of Evil, it speaks endlessly about Grevious having been trained in the Jedi arts and have killed countless Jedis and assembled a large collection of lightsabres from his victories. Now, Obiwan just goes in and starts hacking his arms off like a butcher at the supermarket. Too easy.

7. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The deaths of Dooku and Grievous don't show as much how weak these characters are, but more how strong their killers have become. Anakin proves his power by killing the man who took his arm, and Obi-Wan shows he can match Anakin by destroying Dooku's replacement.

8. Armagaiden

May 19, 2005
    Dooku went out wayyyy too easily, even if you consider Anakin had grown stronger since their last engagement. Here's a major character, who rallied the Seperatist movement, who gets his head chopped off after ten minutes with a pretty pathetic duel sequence.

Greivious also went out too easily. In the book Labrynth of Evil, it speaks endlessly about Grevious having been trained in the Jedi arts and have killed countless Jedis and assembled a large collection of lightsabres from his victories. Now, Obiwan just goes in and starts hacking his arms off like a butcher at the supermarket. Too easy.

----------------------------------------------
    Weeeeell said. Thank you

9. EverlastingKnowItAll

EverlastingKnowItAll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    Grevious coughs because he was injured by Mace on the surface of Coruscant during his escape.

You'd know that had you read the prequel book, Labyrinth of Evil, or watched the CLone Wars cartoon series.

10. FurryFriend

Mar 14, 2005
    >>You'd know that had you read the prequel book, Labyrinth of Evil, or watched the CLone Wars cartoon series.

I read Labrynth of Evil.

However, the movie shouldn't have required a reading assignment before attending. It should be fully understood by those who never read Star Wars novels.

11. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    GG being crushed wasn't in LoE, it was in the Clone Wars Cartoons.

!snap

12. yoda_time

yoda_time Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    In general...a fun movie...but...

The problem that unfortunately exists with both of the initial prequels finds itself here in ROTS...a quickened pace that pushes through a story for the sake of completing the story as opposed to taking the time to produce a masterpiece.

Dooku's fate is another example. In fact the entire initial space battle sequence has this problem. I'm not one that "understands" that Lucas had to shorten things up for the viewing public...heck...he's funding the entire thing and says that he'll do whatever he wants to do but then produces three movies that are all rushed and ultimately make many elements a bit ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I think all of the movies are fun to watch and I'll enjoy them for years to come, but I do wish that more time could have been taken in getting us from points A B and finally C.

Back to Dooku...I'm guessing they were trying to get a similar situation to Luke and Vader from ROTJ with the Emperor watching...personally, I think they failed. A bit more time and development of that battle sequence between Dooku and the two Jedi could have pushed it to that level.

As for Greiveous. I've only seen Volume I of the Cartoon Network Clone Wars which ends with Greiveous battling the Jedi for the first time. He definitely seems a ton more fearsome in the cartoon than in ROTS. The walking element was cool...the coughing, a bit unusual, but I'm not going to go crazy on that. As many others have said...his death sequence...too easy in my opinion. More Dooku and More Greiveous would have been good for the movie.

As for Kassyikk...the plot had no need for this entire battle sequence other than the need to spread the Clone Wars and ultimately put us in a familiar place with Chewy. That said, there is a moment in the battle (which unfortuantely is extremely weak because they spend all of about five minutes of the movie there) directly at the beginning where clone troopers and wookies are in trenches and preparing for the droid attack that has a slight feel to Hoth...and then...it's smashed because there is no time to develop the battle.

13. el_guido

el_guido Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    indeed furryfriend, no reading should be involved. All those books and fanfiction is way too much...

It also was a bit illogical to start the movie saying "Palpy has been kidnapped"...
    I mean, WHY couldn't they show that too? Would've been nice...

14. primetime36

primetime36 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    GG's cough is ridiculous and stupid. if they wanted to show that he was part organic they should have just showed a close up of the oragans through the armor.

i agree that he is a bad ass of a character and just sucks ass in this movie. i was expecting him to own a few jedi somewhere, but alas he's just **** kicked by ob1

15. gotMace

gotMace Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    Grievous was god awful. My least favorite parts of ROTS. Obi-Wan disarmed him to easily, got killed to guickly. Very disappointed.

16. Armagaiden

May 19, 2005
    In general...a fun movie...but...

The problem that unfortunately exists with both of the initial prequels finds itself here in ROTS...a quickened pace that pushes through a story for the sake of completing the story as opposed to taking the time to produce a masterpiece.

---------------------------------------------------

Exactly why these aren't masterpieces and LotR is.

Peter Jackson knows what's up.

17. FurryFriend

Mar 14, 2005
    >The problem that unfortunately exists with both of the initial prequels

The prequel idea is a stroke of brillance on Lucas' behalf and contributed to the billions he has earned. Think anyone would want to watch a movie with six episodes? Having it in prequal format made it seem like two different movies, each with three episodes.

18. DeadDooku

DeadDooku Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2005
    Dooku went out like a punk. A major disappointment, yea Anakin can OWN Count Dooku but lose to Kenobi after Dooku owns him AGAIN. Yes Dooku who fought Master Yoda to a standstill. It was pathetic

19. Armagaiden

May 19, 2005
    The prequel idea is a stroke of brillance on Lucas' behalf and contributed to the billions he has earned. Think anyone would want to watch a movie with six episodes? Having it in prequal format made it seem like two different movies, each with three episodes.
    -------------------------------------

Eh, I don't think you're understanding. The prequel idea in general isn't the problem, it's how it's presented, i.e. rushed from battle to battle to battle to get to the meat of the story, which is anakin changing over to vader.

I think so many people complained about Lucas spending so much time with little anny during the first one (which I still do not see what the hell was the problem because this was FLESHING OUT THE STORY LIKE HE SHOULD) that he just proceded to rush the next two to get to what people wanted. Alas, poor lucas just can't please us all.

20. yoda_time

yoda_time Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    FurryFriend...

Don't misunderstand me...I have no problems with the prequel idea. Works well for me as I'm sure it does for most others.

My only complaint (and as I mentioned they are fun movies and I'll enjoy them into the future) is that all of the prequel movies seemed rushed. To me, the original trilogy flowed well and there is little as I look back on them that I feel should have been slowed up.

You name it in the original Star Wars Trilogy and it simply seems to have the right amount of time to explain what is needed as well as to develop the appropriate characters.

Personally, I could do with about a four hour version of each of the prequels released on DVD. A good example is ATOC...if you get the DVD there are a number of scenes that were deleted with Anakin and Padme that could have done wonders to developing their relationship as opposed to one minute there is not much there and the next minute they are passionate towards one another. The problem is we understand that this needs to happen, but the bigger problem is that without the full/comfortable development it feels as though Lucas takes advantage of that fact in order to simply push through the movie. I gotta believe there are enough of us out there that love star wars enough that we would have paid to see movies that took the time to make what we all expected to happen seem reasonable and not forced.

But again...I'm thankful to Lucas for seeing the prequels to completion and giving all of us a story that will last the ages. If the story was terrible, we wouldn't care so much about it...and that in and of itself is an honor to Mr. Lucas.

21. Gran-Puff_Twinkie

Gran-Puff_Twinkie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2005
    Mace beat the crap out of General Grievous in the cartoon, that is why he is so much weaker.

Cannon or not, Lucas over saw and allowed that story to be told.

22. yoda_time

yoda_time Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Armagaiden...

...it's good to see someone else that is seeing this it seems the same as I.

I was going to break out LOTR as a comparison, but I don't feel the comparison IMHO is exactly the same. Lucas I believe had way more pressure given the original trilogy to make things work. That said, I do feel as though the pace of LOTR allowed for better character development while still providing the overall action and adventure element.

But enough on LOTR...today is a day for Vader and ROTS.

23. Jager

Jager Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    How is Count Dooku a pushover when he knocks Obi Wan, proven one of the best Jedi fighters by the of the film, out of the battle very quickly?

24. ZSong

ZSong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    Dooku and Grievious' main purpose in the film is to show how powerful Anakin and Obi-Wan have become, respectively.

25. Imperial Politician

Imperial Politician Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 9, 1999
    What. GG was a coward. It was like the theme of the movie. It was like a scoobie-doo cartoon (that is not an insult).

The bad guys only faught when the had an advantage, beg for help when they were down, lied, created, and stole as much as possible.

I actually kind of like it. Had a very, old feel to how bad guys were protrayed in movies. Something reminds me of old black and white gangster movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.