main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dooku's introduction

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by TheSithStrikeBack, Nov 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSithStrikeBack

TheSithStrikeBack Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    This is one of my favorite scenes in AOTC. The way the camera shows a bird-eye view of a Geonosian flying down toward Dooku and his entourage is a classy way of introducing the leader of the Separatists.

The shadows cast on Obi as the group goes past him gives the scene a mystique and sinister aura.

2. Eeth_Koth_is_dead

Eeth_Koth_is_dead Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2003
    One of my favorites as well.

3. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    I like that scene as well.

4. InDookusDefense

InDookusDefense Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2003
    The fact that there is a large echo magnifies Dooku's deep voice and makes him sound even more powerful. I thought it was awesome how they introduced him. But I still would have liked to have seen some sort of a flashback in the beginning of the film, showing Dooku resigning his position on the Jedi council, but still showing him in a positive and respectable light. He just kind of shows up out of nowhere

5. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Doosu is just awesome, best character to date!

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    One of the most sorely-missed "deleted scenes" in the picture is the "Lost Twenty" dialogue between Obi-Wan and Jocasta Nu in the Jedi Library. Essentially, at the last minute, George Lucas felt that too much exposition was being conveyed in the footage, and scissored the scene out by editing *around* the dialogue.

If you listen to the actors in the movie, it suddenly becomes clear where the snip occurs:

[b]INT. JEDI TEMPLE, ARCHIVES LIBRARY - DAY
    A bronze bust of Count Dooku stands among a line of other busts of Jedi
    in the Archive Room. OBI-WAN stands in front it, studying the striking
    features of the chiseled face.

On the walls, lighted computer panels seem to stretch into infinity. Farther
    along the room in the background, FIVE JEDI are seated at tables, studying
    archival material.

After OBI-WAN studies the bust for a few moments before MADAME JOCASTA NU,
    the Jedi Archivist, is standing next to him. She is an elderly, frail-looking
    human Jedi. Tough as old boots and smart as a whip.

JOCASTA NU
    Did you call for assistance?

OBI-WAN
    [i](distracted in thought)[/i]
    Yes...yes, I did...

JOCASTA NU
    He has a powerful face, doesn't he?
    He was one of the most brilliant Jedi I
    have had the privilege of knowing.

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/jocasta/jocasta_obiwan_insider55.jpg]

OBI-WAN
    I never understood why he quit. Only
    twenty Jedi have ever left the Order.

JOCASTA NU
    [i](sighs)[/i]
    The Lost Twenty...and Count Dooku was
    the most recent and the most painful.
    No one likes to talk about it. His leaving
    was a great loss to the Order.

OBI-WAN
    What happened?

JOCASTA NU
    Well, Count Dooku was always a bit out
    of step with the decisions of the Council...
    much like your old Master, Qui-Gon Jinn.

OBI-WAN
    [i](surprised)[/i]
    Really?

JOCASTA NU
    Oh, yes. They were alike in many ways.
    Very individual thinkers...idealists...

JOCASTA NU stares at the bust.

JOCASTA NU
    [i](continuing)[/i]
    He was always striving to become a more powerful Jedi.
    He wanted to be the best. With a lightsaber, in the old style
    of fencing, he had no match. His knowledge of the Force
    was...unique. In the end, I think he left because he lost faith
    in the Republic. He believed that politics were corrupt, and he felt
    the Jedi betrayed themselves by serving the politicians.
    He always had very high expectations of government.
    He disappeared for nine or ten years, then he just showed up
    recently as the head of the separatist movement.

OBI-WAN
    It's very interesting. I'm still not sure
    I completely understand.

JOCASTA NU
    Well, I'm sure you didn't call me over
    here for a history lesson. Are you having
    a problem, Master Kenobi?

OBI-WAN
    Yes, I'm trying to find a planet system called Kamino.
    It doesn't seem to show upon any of the archive charts.

JOCASTA NU
    Kamino? It's not a system I'm familiar with...let me see...[/b][hr][/blockquote][/color]And on from there.

7. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    It is a nice scene but I can agree that for the more casual audience, it may not have been needed, or may have slowed down the pace of the mystery story thread. We all know that George likes to keep things "fast" and "intense."

I do wish, however, that at the very least, a condenced version of the conversation could have been included into the film.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

8. InDookusDefense

Oct 7, 2003
    I think that we needed a little more backround on Dooku than what was shown in the movie. However, that scene where he first showed up was awesome. We need to know a little bit more about the circumstances surrounding Dooku's resignation. I mean heck, they could even do it in the next movie.

9. Guy_DuBlanc

Guy_DuBlanc Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    I also love the first shot of Dooku entering the chamber where Obi-Wan is being held.

To me this is a great "introduction" shot since he is presented with dark lighting over him, shadowed in a way.

It reminds me of the way the police captain was introduced in THE GODFATHER. Although with Dooku it is more subtle.

10. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I can also understand why the Lost Twenty scene wasn't in the actual movie but it could've at least been included as a deleted scene on the DVD.

11. InDookusDefense

Oct 7, 2003
    Is the lost twenty scene available at all? I was disappointed by the deleted scenes that they showed, because they could have shown a lot more of Dooku's stuff. Who cares about Padme's family and sisters, or what her room looks like?

12. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    A plethora of deleted scenes were not included on the DVD options. Including the Lost Twenty conversation, the droid control ship raid, and a scene were a bouncer outside the Outlander club gives Obi-Wan and Anakin trouble.

There were tons of others I don't remember off the top of my head too. :(

I agree with the general concensus of this thread on Dooku's introduction. The scene was VERY menacing and imposing. (Especially with as InDookusDefense pointed out, his amplified voice echoeing throughout the hive/chamber.)

I think Count Dooku's character was stellar and was right on the money as I imagined it would be from previous leaked rumors about Christopher Lee assuming the role of the main villan.

I also liked the meeting scene because Dooku held the attention of the Corporate representitives and it depicted how dynamic and charismatic he was.

<[-]> Saber

13. Guy_DuBlanc

Guy_DuBlanc Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    I also liked the meeting scene because Dooku held the attention of the Corporate representitives and it depicted how dynamic and charismatic he was

Excellent point. Not to get off subject, but that's exactly why Darth Maul would NOT have worked in AOTC. As much as I loved Maul, Dooku brings a whole different set of skills to the table that Maul doesn't have.

That is, Dooku brings respectability (a former Jedi Master) and charisma and charm. He's like a Robert E. Lee. Maul is too overly evil, no one would trust him. I can totally see the Banking Clans and Trade Federations trusting this man and wanting to side with him. Maul just would not have worked.

14. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I agree that the "lost 20" scene should have been left in AOTC. I would have shortened some of the dialogue, but left the essense of the scene intact.

I was thinking the other day about why Lucas decided to cut this part out, and one reason I thought of might be that he was concerned people would be reminded of the "20th hijacker" that never showed up on 9/11?

15. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    The Lost Twenty Scene should be at the end where he goes back to the library to learn about Dooku.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.