main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dooku's Mercy on Obi Wan

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MASTER_DOODOO, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    Do you think Dooku knew that Anakin would jump in and save his mentor? Do you think that Dooku did a big overhead slash instead of a quick stab to give Anakin time to make his leap? I think the long, overhead slashes of both Mace and Dooku are caused by the Will of the Force. If they don't happen, then the prophecy is in danger.

2. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Well I think Dooku WAS going to kill Obi Wan but yes, I do think the reason he did that fancy sword move before he went for the strike was because he was a bit hesistant to do so. Even in ROTS, when he force pulls the balcony down on Obi Wan, if you see his face he's like: Oh ****! Let me be careful here not to kill him! Even if he was ordered to kill Obi Wan. He always liked Obi Wan, I guess he was the last peice of his old master and his old life and Obi Wan is alot like him. If anyone would ahve redeemed Dooku, I think it could have been Obi Wan.

Note: Check out Palpatine's face after Dooku brings down the balcony on Obi Wan, he looks at Dooku like he's thinking: Oh come on! Your supposed to KILL him do the job! I hope it worked! He looks a bit worried, frustrated and angry.

3. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Uh...say what?

4. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I don't think Dooku ever really wanted to kill Obi-Wan. Palpatine wanted Obi-Wan dead, in order to isolate Anakin, but we saw in AOTC that Dooku wanted to take Qui-Gon's pupil as his own, thus perverting his own Jedi line into a geneology of Sith masters. Granted, Dooku would kill Obi-Wan without hesitation (as he was about to do in AOTC), but with all the potential students around him, I think Obi-Wan was his first choice for obvious reasons.

5. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    This is reinforced in the ROTS novel where Dooku rather have Obi Wan than Anakin as the next Sith apprentice.

6. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2004
    We will never know for sure but I think Dooku still had good in him, in a way watching Dooku in the PT makes you think there will always be hope for Anakin no matter how small. Maul was like really into the being evil thing and palpatine got off on it too, they both got so into it. dooku never really acted as if being evil was that exciting to him if you catch my drift, almost like the dark side gig was just a job.

The most excited I saw dooku was when fighting Yoda and it was more of a lookie how I be all talented and powerfull now after you trained me as a young one, almost like a rebellious kid to his father, considering yoda was abot 800 years older than him.

In my opinion dooku should of tried turning back to the good and had one hell of a toe to toe battle with palps, trying to tell anakin the truth but then anakin believes palps and kills dooku, like the mace situation kind of.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Dooku is a master swordsman. One who is arrogant and overly confident in his abilities. So when we see him twirl his saber before getting ready to slice down at Obi-wan, he is showing off his superior skills. However, Anakin recovered much faster than he had anticipated. One line of dialogue cut from AOTC, is that when Anakin is locked with Dooku after jumping up, Dooku says that he's impressed with his power. That he could shake that off as fast as he did.

I don't think it was mercy. He was just taking his sweet time preparing for the final blow. If he really didn't want to do it, he would've just shut down his saber and start back for the ship.

8. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm going with sinister on this. Plus, we needed some dramatic effect in there before one of the heroes "died."

9. Azure_Angel

Azure_Angel Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2006
    I agree with Sinister, Dooku is smug, he likes his elegant Form, adn perhapse there is something in the Makashi code of combat that says to do something like that. Plus Dooku likes to flaunt his skill (ie electrocuted Anakin adn then talking about his power to Obi-Wan. and 2 doing all that stuff in the force to Yoda before drawing his saber) Dooku is a man of elegance he was showing off.
    ~Azure_Angel

10. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    This makes good sense. But I still think the lightsaber stab is underrated. Sidious was the only one who really used a good stabbing motion. And he kicked ass. If only Mace knew that style.

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Incorrect, the other guy who uses a saber-stab is Maul and he used it backwards on Qui-Gon.

I think there was always somehting about Dooku that made him detest Anakin. Perhaps it was Anakin's arrogance and compolete lack of respect for anything he didn't agree with. I remember him saying in the novel to Sidious how unpredictable Anakin could be and that was why Obi-Wan would make a better apprentice.
    Though Sidious told him that trying to turn Obi-Wan would be a losing battle. You can't turn Obi-Wan to the dark side, if you really wanted to you'd probabaly have to torture him first and even then it'd be an uphill battle.

12. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I think he was trying to get Anakin off-balance by forcing him to defend Obi-Wan. *shrug*

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Now, that's not to say that Dooku didn't abandon his desire to turn him. That came up again after Geonosis, once he saw how well Obi-wan had done since then. Though he would have no idea how far he came, three years later. As to Anakin, Dooku resents him for a couple of reasons. One is that Dooku thinks that he himself is the Chosen One. That balance is to unite the light and the dark. Whereas it's to restore the balance between good and evil, so that neither side has an advantage, which is a result of Palpatine becoming stronger. Dooku also despises Anakin because of how he is. How he carries himself. How he has become who he is, once we see him in ROTS.

14. masteryoda5

masteryoda5 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2006
    Well I don't really agree with you on that part, darth sinister. I don't think that Dooku saw himself as the chosen one and destined to bring balance. He was an idealistic politician. He wanted to bring an end to the corruption within the republic, that's why he decided to join the dark side and Sidious. If you would think like that it's kind of noble. But of course the dark side of the force corrupts you. For the part of him sparing the life of Obi-wan is simple ( at least for me). He wasn't totally corrupted by the dark side. He had some good left in him, remember he never fully embraced the dark side ( never had the yellow eyes and fought his battles with what you call in a gentlemen way, not the fully atacking, win at all cost in the ways of the Sith).
    His mercy also had to do with the fact that Obi-wan is Jinn's apprentice. He kinda liked him. He hesitated to kill him.
    Masteryoda5 [face_alien_1]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.