main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dooku's not-so-secret secret?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Kurtmajister, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurtmajister

Kurtmajister Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but am I right to assume that the Seperatist Council did not know that Dooku was behind the creation of the republic's clone army? Even if the Seperatist council were not told of it, surely it wouldn't have taken them all that long to realise, considering that Jango was known to work with Dooku, openly in front the council! How would Dooku explain this issue away to the council if/when raised? Are they simply all under the thrall dark side or simply the drunk with the promise of power?

It seems like quite a gaping hole in Palps/Dooku's plan, maybe it's adequately explained away in the EU, but am I right here or missing something entirely?

2. Dark_Paoki

Dark_Paoki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2010
    Yeah they did know that Dooku worked with Jango but they didn't know that Jango was the "sample" of the clone army.

And even if they knew, I think they would agree to play Dooku's game in exchange for several profits and as Gunray says "Lord Sidious promised us peace"...

3. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Its not exactly as if they never once were able to see a clonetrooper without his helmet on whether he be alive or dead though, is it? They can deduce that Jango Fett betrayed them right away and blame it on him just being a bounty hunter. The problem comes from Dooku picking Jango Fett out of a galaxy full of bounty hunters though to assassinate Senator Amidala. The odds of picking him with so many to choose from are too astounding to shrug off. Especially if its two highly intelligent Sith Lords doing the picking. There's almost no way the council would buy any explanation.

Given what Gunray says in ROTS, it seems they still have every intention of winning the war if they can despite the clone army. But if you suspect Dooku and Sidious of betrayel in relation to the creation of this clone army, then you'd hardly kid yourself into believing you're not being played the fool.

So logic says they do not suspect the Sith Lords of betrayel yet logic says they should given the odds of picking Jango. You can try to sum it up by saying they were blinded by greed but that's counting on some incredible stupidity from numerous heads of corporations, generals, and just about everyone associated with the Confederacy of Independent Systems.

4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Or else Lucas wasn't trying to create the hardest mystery in the world...

5. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    It would be interesting to see fanfic, EU, or TCW about someone who tries to put two and two together. Would s/he be silenced? Laughed at? Ignored? Would s/he convince other people?

6. Dark_Paoki

Jan 22, 2010
    But Jango hired Zam Wesell to do the job for him so that he woulndt raise any suspicions...

7. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

I'm not sure I follow you. Jango Fett is directly linked to the assassination attempts on Senator Amidala. When he says "my client is getting impatient" he means Nute. Jango was tasked with killing Amidala. He just used a patsy/disposable bounty hunter to do the deed for various reasons. But its clear from the conversation later in the film that its Dooku who hired Jango for Nute to kill the Senator from Naboo and that Dooku "is a man of his word." This is a gesture towards Nute to apparently soften him up into joining the CIS.

Since Jango is the clone template and the CIS council probably learned that rather fast after Geonosis, suspicion falls on Count Dooku as to why he chose Jango for the mission out of all the bounty hunters in the galaxy. There has to be millions of bounty hunters to choose from and he chose the one who was secretly part of building a clone army to protect the Republic from Gunrays army? Its too coincidental. But its never addressed because the events of ROTS likely wouldn't have played out the way they did if the CIS suspected treachery on day two.

8. Dark_Paoki

Jan 22, 2010
    Yes but all I am saying is that if Zam hadn't fail twice, the Jedi would never have to link the toxic dart with Kamino, then go to Kamino in search of Jango, then find out about the Clones and then Jango's afair with Dooku.

It's all because Jango didn't do the job by himself and assigned Zam.

And what bounty hunter would accept the job of killing the Senator of Naboo that is under the protection of the Jedi Masters? Concerning that bounty hunters are not people to trust, I don't see why Dooku shouldn't give the job to his minion and buy another hunter...

9. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    A Bounty Hunter's a Bounty Hunter. Name the price, and they'll work for you.

10. jedislayer5000

jedislayer5000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2010
    wait a second.... how would the separatist council know who the clone template was? they know nothing of jangos association with the clones, and he would have just said boba is his real son

11. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

But I'm not talking about the Jedi. We're talking about the Separatists and what they can piece together regarding Jango, the clones, and Dooku. Zam being hired by Jango isn't a key to this because Jango was tasked by the separatists to kill Amidala as proven by the dialogue. His method of hiring a throwaway bounty hunter to actually carry out the deed bares nothing on the separatists ability to be suspicious of Dooku for even hiring Jango of all the bounty hunters in the galaxy to carry out Gunrays wishes.

As for your last point, the Jedi weren't protecting the Senator at the start of AOTC. After that perhaps Zam should have thought about her chances of succeeding a bit more, but she tried again for the money. Though I'm not sure she even knew two Jedi had been assigned to protect Amidala that evening on her second attempt. But when you watch her approach Obi-Wan with a gun in the nightclub, you have think she's fairly gutsy and a bit stupid. But this has little to do with what the separatists can piece together so we'll move on.

I'm not saying Dooku shouldn't have hired A bounty hunter. I think you've missed my point. I'm arguing this from the separatist councils side once they discover Jango is the clone template. Why did Dooku choose THAT bounty hunter in a galaxy full of bounty hunters is the question. That's the problem with the plot. It moves forward ignoring the obvious suspicion that would arise from the separatists over such a link. If the answer is that he chose Jango because Jango is Dooku's minion, then WHY is he Dooku's minion of all of the bounty hunters in the galaxy who could have filled that role.

Agreed. But why of all the bounty hunters in the galaxy did Dooku pick Jango Fett? A question coming from the perspective of the Separatist Council once the identity of the clone template is discovered.

Jango's face is plastered all over the clone army. All it takes is one Clone to take their helmet off or one clone to die in a battle won by the separatists to see that it is an army of Jango Fetts.

12. Dark_Paoki

Jan 22, 2010
    Now I see your point. The only time that I remember Jango not wearing his helmet with the separatists is in Geonosis Arena. The separatists didnt know about the clones before that and after that Jango was a history.

I think that Jango was never meant to have too much affairs with the Separatists, he worked only with Dooku but I have to agree with you that the fact he removes his helmet in front of them, seems a little naive, unless he didn't even know the purpose of the clone army.

But wait a sec....When the Jedi themselves, the wise beings, cooperated, fought and died along with thousands of "Jango Fetts", didnt that ever ring a bell to them? Couldn't they make the connections? It's pretty stupid now that I rethink about it...

That decreases the mental expectations from the separatists to 0....=D=

13. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    I would have thought that was obvious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.