main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Door Opening Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Finn Calrissian, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Finn Calrissian

Finn Calrissian Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    The lightsaber calls to Rey AND opens the door for her. Have we seen an object have this much force power yet?

2. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

That cave on Dagobah in TESB had Force power...though we never found out why it was strong with the Dark Side.

Jedi_Master_Laker likes this.
  3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Maybe its the tomb of Darth jar Jar..

4. Jedi_Master_Laker

Jedi_Master_Laker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    Yes!! That freaking cave has drove me crazy for 30 years, it has some man-made features in it also. I hope they answer this in an upcoming movie, novel or something! I hope with the recent trend of inanimate objects having force connections that this is brought to light.

5. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Hopefully the door opening was motion detection, or what have you. This inanimate object being imbued with the force stuff is a bit different, to say the least.

6. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Luke's lightsaber was cursed with some crazy voodoo **** after being recovered from Cloud City... [face_nail_biting]

7. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Well, lightsabers are imbued by the Force. That's already a thing.

8. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    Automatic doors are a thing in SW, sci-fi in general, and supermarkets. :p

9. Pluvial

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't disbelieve, but what are you basing this on? Certainly the display of this individual lightsaber is exceptional.

10. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Kyber crystals, the artifacts which turn a lightsaber into a lightsaber instead of any old plasma torch, are Force-attuned crystals which must be infused with the Force during lightsaber construction. This is one of the things that was carried over from the old canon to the new.

11. Pluvial

Dec 19, 2015
    I see.

12. Finn Calrissian

Dec 21, 2015
    Great insight, fellas.

And the door does not open with motion. Rey is still when it opens for her.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm pretty sure the door is just supposed to open with the presence of a person - Rey may not have been moving at exactly that moment, but she had moved nearby, enough to account for the door opening.

14. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Maybe it was retrofitted to double as either a Commlock or a Sonic Screwdriver.

15. Finn Calrissian

Dec 21, 2015
    Thats not what happens, tho. Watch it again. She moves to a spot, waits, listens. Then the door opens to guide her. The lightsaber opened the door.

16. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Then why didn't Luke get visions from that same lightsaber? Not only did he not get them, but Ben had no expectation that he would get them. Ben says this lightsaber was your dad's, then gives him the "point of view," and no information ever comes out of the lightsaber to make Luke think otherwise.

It's not the saber. It's Rey.

17. Pluvial

Dec 19, 2015
    I hope so.

18. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thighs of Qui Gon in TPM and couldn't remember anything like that in TFA.

Intereting.

It is this lasersword that was created and used by Anakin, then Vader, then Luke. Maz winds up with it, tries to give it Rey, Finn shows it isn't meant for him, Ren wants it, and Rey shows she can kick tail with it.

She returns it to Luke, who I assume still has his green lightsaber, so I guess he'll train his daughter how to use the family heirloom.

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If you look at it, the man made walls are slanted just like Bespin's control room interior where Vader and Luke fight. The cave is merely foreshadowing of the coming fight and revelation that Vader is Luke's father.

There was an Yoda toy released back in the mid 90s that stated the cave was the site of a battle between Yoda and an ancient dark lord. But, nothing more was ever mentioned about that.

The Zahn trilogy also had Luke revisiting the cave and triggering the vision again and suggesting the cave's physical space had the essence of the dark side, like the dark side left a residual there.

Jedi_Master_Laker likes this.
  20. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

Might be even more to it than that. Luke might have gotten it back earlier after ROTJ and given it to Ren for a time! After Ren turned, it was lost again when he went to his red one, and that's when Maz gets it.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  21. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Right! I'd forgotten. So he believes it belongs to him not because he is Anakin's grandkid (Rey probably is too), and only is he the true heir of his granddad, but because Luke may have given it to him.

22. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

I dunno... if the Clone Wars is canon, then the dark side cave is about a 0.5 out of 10 on the weird-Force-location-ometer. They have planets of dark side cave!

23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Indeed they do.

24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Is it possible that when Maz says the lightsaber is calling to Rey, she's employing metonymy, that in fact it's the Force that's calling to Rey. It's her destiny that's calling to her, as symbolized by Luke's lightsaber.

"Luke's lightsaber is calling to you" is a metonymical way of saying "your destiny as a Jedi is calling to you."

25. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I love this about the lightsaber in TFA. It's one of the more overtly "fantasy/ dark age myth" elements of the saga (swords having voices and strange powers, etc), and I thought it fit perfectly.

Sarge likes this.