main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do's and Dont's for the convention?

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by strawbary, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Does anybody have any tips on the newbies going to the convention...as far as safety goes......what to bring......survival kits..........and is it pretty safe for kids or is it mainly an adult affair.....blah blah blah......thanks guys!

2. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Don't run around yelling...

IVE GOT A BOMB!

Do run around yelling....

PORKINS! PORKINS! YOU ROCK!

----

Don't bring a Sterling SMG as your trooper blaster

PLEASE do bring more than one pair of drawers (you'd be suprised how many people don't)

----

Don't carry a sign saying PEYTON MANNING SUCKS!

Do carry a sign saying SPOCK SUCKS

----

Hope this helps.

3. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    is it safe for me to wear my starfleet bridge officer uniform (the next generation issue) without me getting lynched?? i want to do that pretty bad just for laughs and giggles to see the reactions, even though i like SW about 4 times more than ST.

4. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    ok...so 3 days of c2 = 3 pairs of drawers....got it!
    Thx! :)

5. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Already been done. 2 Klingons crashed Celebration I.

6. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    I remember them! Warwick Davis asked them how many times they'd been beaten up that weekend...

7. JMChladek

JMChladek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    I wouldn't do the "Spock Sucks" sign thing personally. I am a Trek fan in addition to an SW Fan (heck, I like most things SciFi, especially if it has cool vehicles and stories) and its been my experience that the Trekkies tend to be the dumb turkeys that pull the stupid pranks, like picketing the Ep:1 premiere and holding signs that say "Spock 3:16". The Trekkies (referring to the Trek fans that like Trek to the exclusion of everything else and don't care who knows it) do dumb things, so why stoop to that level? You'd be at a Star Wars convention, so why preach to the choir?

I don't think wearing a Trek uniform would be a bad thing and if people appreciate the joke for what it is. But, if you perhaps wanted to say you were an SW and a Trek fan and not a Trek fan whos trying to crash the party, then perhaps accent it with a Rebel helmet or something. But, thats just my opinion, eitherway, have fun and I won't stop you. :D

And BTW, it's

"Dutch rules! Dutch Rules!" Not "Porkins Rules" ;)

Although Bill Hootkins is a very cool guy to be around. Ask him about why he hated filming Flash Gordon, or about the fan who was convinced that he was some guy in Battlestar Galactica and not in Star Wars.

8. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    "ok...so 3 days of c2 = 3 pairs of drawers"

Well I would make it 4, Just in case there are long lines to the bathroom on one day. ;)

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Dude, I SO totally want to meet Mr. Hootkins. It'll be a hoot!

10. JULES_WINFIELD

JULES_WINFIELD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2001
    If there's Trekkies, I'm kicking ass

11. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    wow....forgot to think about bathroom lines....whew! thanx for the warning.... 4 drawers it is!

12. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Do Shower! :)
    Do bring a backpack, most cons have a least a few free goodies. You'll be able to stuff things in there.

Do Not think any foodstuff or drink will be anywhere reasonably priced. Con venues know they have a captive audience and jack up the prices accordingly. So bring some non-salty snacks and use the aforementioned backpack to store some in.

Do you like to read, maybe bring a book for reading in line, do you own a Gameboy(Advanced)? Bring that and your copy of Empire/Jedi Power Battles. Maybe even a magnetic travel game, you never know, you might meet some friendly folks in line that you can challenge to a game.

13. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    great suggestions! I for sure have the backpack thing going on.....wasnt sure if we were allowed to smuggle your own snacks or juice boxes in.....
    I have a feeling by these posts I will be in line half the day ;)
    Thnx guys!

14. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    If you get a chance to talk to any of the actors (and you're an adult), Don't talk to them like they ARE the character. They probably get it all the time and it's embarassing for the rest of the fans. It's allowed coming from kids since they don't quite get the seperation of actor & character. Adults get it (or should). Just think of that SNL sketch with Shatner and the Trek convention.

15. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    OMG !!! that is funny...I remember that skit too.....I rolled.
    All I can think of as well is that movie Galaxy Quest.........We'll see... ;)

16. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Galaxy Quest rocked! I love that movie. It's ok for a kid to ask, say David Prowse, why he always choked people. But for an adult to ask the same question is just pathetic. If I were an actor, I'd want to be asked how I approached the character. What kind of things were done to prepare for the role, etc...

17. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    when friends of mine see galaxy quest they ask me: "you're not one of those GEEKS are you? You know its not real?"

I cant imagine that I would confuse the actors for the real characters....(I can see where kids do) but lets all admit it.....if we were talking to liam neeson or ewan mcgregor and they wanted to bust out into a light saber duel...c'mon...who is going to say no? *giggles*

I promise I wont embarrass all my fellow star wars fans by running around chasing Billy Dee williams screaming - Lando! Lando! Hurry We need to save Han!!!
    :)
    May just seems too far away ;)

18. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    I think somebody should stand behind Billy Dee Williams as he signs autographs. As he says "Hello. Good to meet you. Thanks for stopping by." to each fan, that person could scream out "What are you doing?!? Trust him! TRUST HIM!"

Wow, that sounds like a Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey...

19. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    I get that Galaxy Quest Geek- thing too. Mostly from my wife. Heck, if any of the actors wanted to duel, I'd be all over that. It's the real geeks (see Galaxy Quest) that give us normal ;) geeks a bad name. That's been the topic of a number of conversations in the Omaha Fan Force.

20. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I love you guys ;)

You sure know how to make a geek feel good :D

Definately several kinds of geeks.

21. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    Well, this is my first convention ever and I am sure I will we AMAZED at the assortment of "Fans" there will be. :)
    I am bringing the camera for sure!
    Its definitely going to be an adventure.I am sure there will be an obvious sign stamped to my forehead that says convention newbie.

I found a seamstress who is going to "try" to make some costumes in time.... we'll see if we can make the event in costume... would be fun if we could! (fingers crossed)

22. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    I'm the first in line to admit I'm a SW geek :D! ANd yes, there are several kinds of geeks. There should be some kind of geek classification system along the lines of the zoological classifications- Geekus Maximus, Geekus Major, Geekus Minor, Geekus Dorkus, etc...

23. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    there's a stamp that says convention newbie? I need one of those....

24. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    I am afraid to find out what qualifies you as geekus maximus. ;)

25. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    This is what Fanforce is about, sharing experiences with your fellow geeks. :D

I am totally excited about SWC2 and I hope to meet you all. I hope to have a book for everyone to sign.

My Goal is to meet 100 Fanforce members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.