main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Do's and Don'ts" Survivor's Guide to Celebration V

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by EnviousSerious-Rue, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    As an added reminder, go to your favorite store and purchase "Airborne Formula". Zesty orange is my favorite. Start taking it now before you board the plane or riding with others. It's loaded with vitamin C. Drop a tablet in a cold glass of water. It's as simple as that!:D

2. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Please DO NOT forget about transportation to and from the airport.
    Just made my reservations minutes ago with MEARS TRANSPORTATION for $29.00 roundtrip.
    http://www.mearstransportation.com/
    I've been so busy with work and preparing for CV, never gave it a thought on how I was to arrive at my hotel until I read other post![face_blush]

3. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Good call. I always take this (or something similar) around big trips. Seems to always work for me.

Back to feet....I just picked up some of those Dr. Scholl's gel inserts for my Merrells. Giving them a try for a few days to make sure I like them. So far I like it. Can really feel a difference when I walk.

4. KingTomatoXIII

KingTomatoXIII Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2010
    As a Floridian, and some one who has attended cons at the OCCC (Megacon) here's some regional/Orlando specific suggestions.

-It is never too hot for mosquitos. (especially sundown -> early morning)

-Rain is very probable, especially mid-afternoon in central FL. But there is a saying: 'If you don't like the weather in FL, wait 30 minutes'. Aside from tropical storms, most rain in the summer is very isolated, and will likely blow over.
    Disclaimer: This doesn't mean to skip rain gear, it's just a suggestion that waiting the rain out is usually a viable option

-The OCCC is huuuuge. I don't think CV is going to take up the whole thing. Megacon took one floor of one section of one building. I and my friends wandered into some psychic self help convention by mistake. Humourous, but not what we were looking for. Pay attention to the con floor maps!

-Parking is painful, both to the wallet ($8 if memory serves) and to the feet. The lots close to the convention are usually instantly full, and the alternate parking location is a good 1-1.5 mile hike. I highly suggest hoofin it from your hotel (if you're within walking distance). The shuttles to the hotels during megacon were very useful getting to the con, not so much trying to get back to the hotel.

-Cabs will probably be around, if needed -they were for megacon, at least-. Cash only! I'd keep an emergency $20-$30 for a cab in case illness strikes to get back to the hotel. (Voice of experience, the wife got ill, and we couldnt wait on the shuttles)

-CityWalk is a fun place to go get food or drinks after the con is done for the day. It's free admission and free parking (after 6? I think) It's not really walkable from the OCCC though. Also, it is using the Universal studios parking structures, so more walking after parking will be involved.

-Regarding the 'sketchy-ness' of the OCCC surroundings. During the day, it's quite alright, I never felt unsafe. The night is a little different, though it's no slum. You will probably encounter the typical persons you would in any city 'downtown' environment. The more unsavory types (homeless, 'ladies' of the night, street merchants, etc etc) will probably leave you alone if you travel in groups. I repeat: DO Travel in groups. DO NOT Wander around by yourself (especially after dark!)

If anyone has any other orlando specific questions, ask away. I dont live there but I have frequented there for cons, business funtions, and vactions.

Also: I'm am soooo excited about CV! It's my first celebration! *squeeeal!*

5. KalBuir

KalBuir Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2009
    Thank you for all of the very helpful advice!

I do have a question for you. Do you think my girlfriend and I would be safe (we are both under 21 by the way) walking from the OCCC by ourselves at night to some of the surrounding restaraunts (i.e. the nearby Olive Garden) and those sort of places and then from the restaraunts back to our hotel? We are looking to only walk within 1 mile of the OCCC and our hotel and plan to go out to dinner every night.

6. KingTomatoXIII

Aug 4, 2010
    I would say you'll probably be fine. It not like it's gang war turf or anything as crazy as that. The number 1 rule: common sense! Stay in well lit areas, if there are other groups heading in your direction see if you can tag along until you part ways, pay attention to your surroundings. Also try not to look lost, walk with a purpose, avoid looking like a tourist if at all possible. Don't flash lots of money, high tech gadgets, or other things that would be 'stealable'.

I'll be walking to and from the convention (by myself nonetheless, my wife cant go... :( ) and I'm not too worried about it. But using common sense, and paying attention to your surroundings is still important.

With all of that said, I've been in far sketchy-er situations before, this part of Orlando isn't really all that bad, you just have to look out for people preying on tourists (its a very touristy area).

7. KalBuir

KalBuir Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2009
    Good advice, thank you :)

8. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Agreed. Very good advice. One thing I'll add....If you are out at night (alone or with others) and something just doesn't feel right (someone following you, not leaving you alone, etc.), get to someplace public and crowded right away. There are a lot of hotels and restaurants there. It doesn't have to be your hotel. Just go to the lobby because there is always someone on staff at the front desk.

9. KingTomatoXIII

Aug 4, 2010
    Double agreed!
    Always have an 'escape route' planned out. Keeping an eye out for the nearest hotel or resturaunt is excellent advice!

10. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    New topic...surviving the show while unplugged!

We've all been spoiled the past several months by being able to easily sit in front of a computer to view and look up info, post on forums, study schedules, etc.

But once that show starts, unless you plan to carry a laptop and pay for the OCCC wifi (or have a 3G iPad), all you'll have is whatever you've printed and your phone.

Might not be a bad idea to do a "dry run" of making sure you have and can access all of the info you will need once you unplug.

11. Rogue501st

Rogue501st Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 9, 2010
    So funny...I can't stop thinking about what my plan of attack is for each day that I am having a hard time falling asleep at night! The anticipation is killing me!

12. KissinDigital

KissinDigital Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2010
    I haven't looked very closely but so far all info I have checked points that this will be the only event happening in either side of the center. At the very least, it appears that the entire west concourse is CV only. ^^;;

Megacon this year was $11. Unless there's a diff group doing parking for this event, parking for disabled is free.

As for the "preying on tourists" good GOD he's not lying. There are constantly people standing around touristy areas (more the attractions and not the center itself - I believe soliciting is illegal on center property) with "free" gear if you take a survey or hawking stuff.

13. KingTomatoXIII

Aug 4, 2010
    $8, $11, whatever it was, it was expensive for such terrible parking.

True that. I suggest totally ignoring them, or a quick "no thanks". Trust me, you arent the only person thats blown them off that day. It's ok.

14. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Or just hang with me - I got everyone's back so it's all good.

15. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Sure thing Mr. VIP-Staying-at-the-Peabody. They carry you to and from your hotel with body guards there, right? [face_laugh]

16. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I AM the bodyguard (Senate). ;)

17. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    I have no plans to unplug. I'm bringing my iPhone and charger with me each day. Also bringing my laptop to edit the videos I plan on shooting, as well as check my e-mail.

18. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I hope parking isn't the full $11. Usually it's reduced for big events, around $8. They will be there starting at 5 am on Wed. and Thur. to collect parking money and will be there 24 hrs a day after that. Usually they stop collecting parking money around 5 or 6 pm, but not this time!
    I was planning to get there to park around 6 am but I'm wondering if I should show up earlier on Thursday.

19. KissinDigital

KissinDigital Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2010
    o_O 24 hour pay for parking seems obnoxious.

Though $8-14 is par for the course anywhere in Orlando. I paid $7 to see Motley Crue out at UCF (even though I could have walked to the arena. super awesome show though. xD)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.