main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DotF Elements in Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by pahket, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    Hey, everybody. Please forgive me if someone else already noticed this, but I feel the need to gush over what I think I just heard.

We all could recognize the beginning of DotF if we heard it - the low violins and violas on the ostinato, with celli and basses on the staccato 8th-note "outbursts." In the tail end of Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, just after the Force Theme statement, JW has celli and basses double-bowing the BotH ostinato as per usual. But then at 3:40 he starts them on the DotF-style outbursts while everybody else is wrapping up the BotH melody, gearing up perfectly for the cut-and-paste insert. The outbursts continue until the final chord of the cue.

I love that he's subtly presenting the listener with musical clues and throwbacks that will lead into the familiar territory of Duel of the Fates. It's almost like the Cloud City elements at the beginning of Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, except not as blatantly derivative. I love that, once I heard it, I instantly recognized the line and could imagine what was coming. Did anyone else hear this? Does anyone else think it's pure genius?

2. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Absolutely. That's the brilliance of John Williams and one of the main reasons I love his music so much. What you mentioned above happens all over the trilogy. If you have the SE scores, you'll really enjoy listening to those for those reasons alone.

3. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    I have to completely agree with you, DarthButt. I absolutely think it's the brilliance of Williams too.

4. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I agree completely. John Williams always knows what he's doing it seems like... There wasn't a moment in ROTS where the music didn't match the scene perfectly, in my opinion.

However, it would be brilliant to release an uncut soundtrack that had the full track that we are discussing here, and not the one that ends before the DOTF theme begins... But I guess we'll have to keep wishing. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.