1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney… Now discussing:

3. Now running:

Art Archive DotF's Art - update 5-17-06 (ROTS Obi-Wan)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Daughter_Of_TheForce, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Master

star 4
  2. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Dang, I've been trying to do something like that with PS for a while now and all my attempts have fallen through. I really like the coloring and the overall style you went with for this piece. Excellent job! :D
  3. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    :eek: Wow! That's just great! He looks phantastic! =D=
  4. Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Master

star 4
    I won't do another one like Obi-Wan until I upgrade my computer and get my hands on some online goodies, like GIMP. :D

Today...

I told myself I wouldn't do anything like this again, but I couldn't resist:

Qui-Gon - "Master Jedi"

The Sideshow figure is just gorgeous. I pre-ordered mine. :D
  5. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oooo, absolutely loving the Obi Wan piece, DotF!! Great work with that! Wonderful color gradations and shadows--all of it is just excellent! =D= I'd love to see you do more like this--great, great work! And the "portrait" of your Qui Gon figure is wonderful, too--it almost looks like a promo photo of our favorite Jedi Master! Great sort of smoke/fog effect around the legs, and the lightsaber looks superb--wonderful job!

FF
  6. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow! That awesome! *stares at screen in shock*
    Love his pose and the clouds around him!
    Usually I don't like Qui Gon-Jinn so much, but this is phantastic! =D= Wow.
  7. Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master

star 2
    The Qui-Gon piece looks great! Excellent job on the cloud effects :)
  8. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow, how did you do that Qui-Gon pic? It is eerie looking. Very nice work.

AG88
  9. Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Master

star 4
    I started with a pic of the prototype SS figure. The figure's lit to make it look good, but it's not so great when you're changing up the lighting and atmosphere. Once the background is taken out, I duplicate it several times and change the blending on them and/or apply filters. There's no formula for it; I don't remember exactly what I did. But it definitely had to be darkened, so the first Qui-Gon layer has the brightness and contrast turned way down. Then the layers above it have different blendings. A lot of trial and error.

The clouds are done in three layers. The first layer (the bottom-most for the whole thing) will be the main layer. (Picked a foreground color and black as the background.) For the clouds in front of Qui-Gon I picked a lighter foreground color. I make this the top-most layer and erase it--with a large soft brush in airbrush mode--until I can see most of him. I always hide the feet and leave some whisps in front. The third layer goes behind the dark layer. Make it a little darker than the foreground clouds. I then go to the dark layer and very lightly erase behind some of the darker parts of the Qui-Gon layers, like right behind his head. I try to be careful not to leave too many brush marks.

The lightsaber is one of the last things I do. Plus I added a spot behind the lightsaber so that the light from it appears to spill onto Qui-Gon's tunic. (It might be too subtle to spot. :p) Then I flatten the whole thing and apply Smart Blur to slightly smear over anything obvious, like stitches in the tunic.

Oh, and I covered up the neck joint and changed the hair a bit. If you've seen the Qui-Gon figure at Sideshow, or read some of the comments about it at Rebelscum, you know why I might have messed with the hair. [face_laugh] :D
  10. Siths_Herald Minnesota CR, MNFF Co-Leader

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    That Qui-Gon is VERY nice! Me likey!
  11. Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Master

star 4
    Long time no see! Been busy being ill and moving to a new place--but not at the same time. :p

New piece: The Newest Sith

I don't think it's my best piece of this type. Anakin's dark costume didn't help matters.

Visitors to my gallery seem to like the "Master Jedi" piece a lot. It's one of my top viewed and it's been there only a couple of months. :)
  12. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I like the Anakin one actually, I think it really blurs the line between the SSC fig and reality the way you've done it. On looking at it for the first time, I thought it was a drawing, then a photo of the actor, then I clicked it was the fig. That's pretty nifty to have it blend like that! Good stuff!
  13. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree that this looks good, DotF! It's such a unique take on the figures, to use the image in PS and sort of "paint it" this way! Love the warmish colors around him--very much illustrates the "Sithly-ness" of him! Another great image!

FF
  14. Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks! :D It took a while for me to warm up to it, but I think I like it now. I was going to do a variation of that piece, but I'll wait until later.

For now:

ROTS Obi-Wan

This is the fourth try at this piece; I can't seem to get it the way I want. But I think this is close. :p
  15. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    :D That's great, Daught. Really! Very realistic.
  16. starjedi9045 Jedi Master

star 1
    Wow! I love those! Hey... you gave the directed how to make a glow the text in Photoshop. And is that what you're talking about? I made that! [image=http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5356/episodeiii6yn.jpg]

Does it looks alright? Sorry everyone.. I just show one image to make sure its alright!
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.