main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Planet of the Apes reboot series: Next up Kingdom otPotA

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Prepare for Dawn [HD] | 20th Century Fox

Find out what took place between Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in a new featurette.

Jensaarai1219 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes quite a bit more than I thought I would, but I still wasn't all that interested in the sequel. But I saw the trailer yesterday before Edge of Tomorrow, and I have to say it looks pretty good. It went from a "rental" to possibly a "bargain matinee".

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Final trailer:

6. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Good stuff.

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Really looking forward to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - huge Apes fan from way back, and really enjoyed Rise of the POTA. I have a feeling this film may be even better, based on the trailers. Though the Apes looked great in Rise, if anything they look even better here - the CGI is truly spectacular...

Most of the humans are presented as real tools. You are definitely more sympathetic towards the Apes, which is the whole point. It seems like the humans want to "get back" at the Apes because of the anti-Alzheimer's experimental drug that made them intelligent, which in turn caused the virus that wiped out many of the humans...even though humans created this virus in the first place. The Apes just want to be left alone & in peace, and the humans are clearly the aggressors & instigators here. Hopefully the humans will get their collective a$$e$ kicked...

I also like the fact that it doesn't appear that all of the Apes can speak easily; in Rise only Caesar was able to speak, and in this Dawn trailer I believe we only hear him speaking haltingly as well. This makes sense, since the Apes wouldn't need to actually talk to each other to communicate, and they've presumably been living isolated from humans since the beginning of the virus (as seen at the very end of Rise). This is a far cry from the original films; in Conquest all of the Apes were mute except for Caesar - and then, in Battle (taking place 13 years after Conquest) most of the Apes can speak English fluently....despite the fact that in these original films, an explanation was never given as to why the Apes even became intelligent...Yeah, right...

Also, there are several scenes in one of the Dawn trailers where the humans & Apes are looking at what appear to be operational I-phones, I-pads, etc. I wonder where they're getting the electricity to power these after the devastation. Presumably they must have emergency generators somewhere, or another form of power...

And, wanted to let everyone know that recently the novel Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Firestorm was released. I haven't read it yet, but it's a prequel to the forthcoming film & apparently documents what happened between Rise & Dawn. Should be interesting.

Here's a review - note that spoilers are included here:

http://agentsofgeek.com/2014/05/dawn...estorm-review/

Also, note that Dawn is definitely not a re-make of the Battle for the POTA film; that film was a low-budget, non-sensical P.O.S. Whereas Dawn is taking place in a completely re-imagined universe, and, judging from the trailers, will be a superb film - in fact, I anticipate it will be favorite film of 2014....(just like Rise was my favorite film of 2011).

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Got the chills watching that.

9. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Just saw this final trailer - truly awesome. This film is really being promoted, much more than Rise was - there have already been at least three regular trailers for Dawn, and that doesn't even include the TV trailers.

This final trailer is the best one yet - really larger in scope...I like the scene when Kobe?! challenged Caesar & claimed that he liked the humans more than the Apes, as well as the other scene where that smaller Ape pretended to be harmless in front of the two humans in order to catch them off guard - very smart. And, what was the deal with the military freighter/ship?! I was under the impression the rest of the world was devasted by the virus, but this gives the impression that there are other pockets of humanity around...which leads to another question: I wonder if we'll get an idea of whether or not the Apes became intelligent & took over other parts of the world in this film. In Rise, we only saw Caesar & his group of Apes (who he made intelligent using the anti-Alzheimer's drug that was used on his mother) escaping the San Francisco area & going to live in the woods nearby. Presumably, in Dawn they are still in the same general area. So, what about the rest of the U.S. & the rest of the world? Unless the same thing that happened to Caesar happened to other Apes in other parts of the world, presumably Caesar's group are the only intelligent Apes around....Maybe they'll explore this more in the third film...

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Excellent review from Variety. 3 out of 4 RT reviews have been good!

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Advanced word has been very good (when I asked about it, even Pablo was saying it fixes the problem of one-dimensional non-Franco-family human characters that dragged the first movie down), so I'm actually looking forward to this one quite a bit now.

And now we have three short films released bridging the two films:

Year One: Spread of Simian Flu

Year Five: Struggling to Survive

Year Ten: Story of the Gun

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    strong early reviews out. I'm sure the RT score will drop on Friday, but good sign.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I look forward to seeing it. I hope it will be as good as Rise was.
    I wonder also what the next chapter will be. Surely they won't do another remake of PotA itself...

14. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    If you'll pardon the really bad pun, that does seem to be the next step in its evolution. Not sure the world really needs a third telling of that particular tale, but then again I'm not sure the world needs another Taco Bell, and yet one just opened around the corner from me [face_dunno].

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I assumed these new movies were just going to be about the events leading up to the creation of the society we see in PotA. Movies that could be viewed along with the original as opposed to remaking the original itself.

Perhaps that was naive, there is more money in making the series run as long as possible

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    28 Days Later Than Rise of the Planet of the Apes looks like it will have a decent opening weekend at any rate.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    beezel26 and Jabbadabbado like this.
  19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Just shy of the greatness of his Desolation of Smaug review.

Meanwhile, RT score still hovering above 90%, putting DOTPOTA in the Edge of Tomorrow/Train Your Dragon 2 ballpark, which doesn't say much about it's box office potential.

I do like the poster. It captures the iconography of the the original POTA almost perfectly: title font, check. Ape. check. on a horse. check. with a rifle. check. destroyed national landmark. check.

Box office guru says $65 million opening weekend, but I bet it's higher. $75 at least.

20. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    You know one of the mods should do something like this. Especially the part where he burns the paycheck.

21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Saw this last night. It's easily my favorite film of the year, with Godzilla a distant second. The more I think about it, the more I appreciate it. I do wish the **** had hit the fan just a bit more (
    in particular, that Caesar had stayed dead
    ), but then I remind myself that this is supposed to be a summer popcorn flick and by those standards, it exceeds them heartily.

I think the mo-cap and resultant final product might be even better than what we saw in Avatar. Caesar gets a lot of attention in this regard, but so does Koba. The shot of Koba
    beaten bloody into submission, with Caesar dominating him
    was extraordinarily well done. It continues to be a crime that Andy Serkis' body of work, first as Gollum, then as Kong, now as Caesar, goes so unrewarded.

In an uncharacteristically even film for a popcorn flick, no part felt lacking, although my favorite scenes were the little "episodes" between the humans and the apes after the beginning and before the ending.

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This was pretty great guys, see it.

23. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yesterday, I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes & loved it - superb, and not only the best Apes film, but one of the best films I've seen, ever. I give it five out of five stars. I haven't seen a film this good in the theater since Gladiator back in Summer 2000...

The CGI on the Apes was stellar, even better than in Rise - when it was raining the Apes' fur/hair was matted, and when the wind was blowing their fur/hair looked realistic as well...

I felt the film's story did work & the ending definitely left the door open to a sequel....

This film was NOT a re-make of the '70's flick Battle of the Planet of the Apes, but a completely different & far superior type of film.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Well Planet of the Apes is coming out in 2016 :p

25. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Agreed. My favorite poster of the year thus far. It wouldn't look out of place in an early 70s era theater lobby.

I caught DOTPOTA yesterday. Nice sized crowd for an 11:30 AM showing. I definitely think it could hit $70 million domestic this weekend.

The story is pretty simple, but it's very well made and the acting is good, with the best performances actually coming from the "apes" themselves. I still like Rise of the Planets of the Apes a bit better, but I give it a solid 7/10.