main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Planet of the Apes reboot series: Next up Kingdom otPotA

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It is a call back to the dawn of anatomically modern humans when we spread out of Africa and began competing with other smart tool-using primates for resources and Lebensraum. A great allegory for the dawn of the planet of the humans although as I noted in the box office thread with a bit less interbreeding.

alert: despite the poster the bridge does NOT get destroyed unless I missed a post-credit scene

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    No post-credit scene, just some ape noises over parts of the credits.

Caught this last night and, yeah, it is an impressive film. The mo-cap performances and the CGI that deliver them is outstanding and beyond impressive. The antagonistic human characters do not feel like one-dimensional cartoons like the problems that plagued the first film. A lot of tension and it's just very effective (all the more impressive given the semi-silly nature of the franchise).

Should do ok business but the lack of spectacle will not drive repeat viewings (what action there is is neat but there's not really any sequences that will compel many people to pay to see the film a second time), but I think the word of mouth should remain on the upper positive end of things (though, it seemed like a lot of people left the theater expecting less of a character drama on a summer night, which might burn some points off with some folk) and hopefully give it some legs until Guardians hits. It certainly deserves it more than Transformers.

3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's not really a serviceable stand alone film, but narratively it does a fantastic job moving from point a to b in an internally consistent and compelling flow of events. I feel the final confrontation between the two male human leads was a bit contrived and unnecessary, but loved te movie nevertheless

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I thought it was fantastic. Took its time to really set up the characters, was excellent at building tension and the violence was gripping and unsettling. I don't know if this was everyone's experience, but it was certainly mine: this is the first summer blockbuster I've ever seen where the main theme of the film was the pointlessness of violence.

Some people are trying to politicize the film as anti-gun, but that's a stupid oversimplification. It doesn't matter if you use a gun or a spear or a bomb or your hands. This film is anti-violence.

5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Maybe the most extraordinary putsch in cinema history, recalling that iconic moment in Platoon.

6. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Saw it yesterday, still reeling from how incredible those Apes looked and acted, how so much emotion can be conveyed with minimal dialog.

And I love love love Maurice the Orangutan.

And because I love talking apes, my top 3 talking ape moments are:
    "Apes do not want war, but will fight if we must!"
    "Run."
    "Human work... human work... human work!"
    ...you'll understand when you see it.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Maurice is the breakout star! But I assume he's Dr.Zaius' grandfather or something. After all, the actor who played Dr. Zaius was Maurice Evans. A hint?

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Well, that depends. I only go to see films in the theater 1-3 times a year these days (prior to seeing Dawn yesterday, the last film I saw in the theater was Superman: Man of Steel in June 2013). And, I plan on seeing Dawn at least 1-2 more times in the theater - I really enjoyed the film, and want to see the great scenery & CGI on-screen again - plus, of course, I thought the story was excellent.

It's possible he's an ancestor of Dr. Zaius, and these new films are supposed to somehow link to the original 1968 POTA film; this is something I think is a mistake, since I feel these new films should stand on their own...but that's me...

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not saying some people won't still see it multiple times, but generally speaking the films that drive people most to see them 2 or 3 times in an opening weekend or first few weeks of release tend to be ones that feature heavier spectacle or larger scale events- things that benefit from seeing them on the big screen, etc.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Saw this today, absolutely loved it. Next to X-Men, easily the best picture of the year I've seen.

Also love Maurice, as others have said.

11. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Maurice went all Walter White there for a second... "RUN."

Arawn_Fenn and heels1785 like this.
  12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Was anyone else bothered by the fact that the apes instantly knew how to use guns and never needed to reload (this is not a problem unique to this movie of course but some of those apes were still wielding guns days after first picking them up and not one of them was carrying any extra ammunition). Ceaser's kid was even practicing gun safety by not having his finger on the trigger as he walked around. Other than this minor suspension of disbelief moment the movie was great though. And Koba dual-wielding on horseback was pretty cool and worth the price of admission by itself.

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I keep hearing conflicting reports on this. My Maurice/Dr. Zaius theory drew a "The movies aren't connected/in the same continuity" response over @ IMDb.

Personally, I'm not sure how well a new version of POTA would work in this continuity, as there really aren't any surprises left for the audience. They know what happened, what caused it all, and they'd just be waiting for the astronauts to catch up. Plus, I'm just not sure that's a story that needs to be told for a third time. Fourth, if you count the TV series. Fifth, if you count the animated series.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That is the trick- I think they're going to get there eventually, but it's at least 2 or 3 movies away, and by time we do get there, it'll be a different setup than the last two POTA films. But they're going to want to keep Ceasar around for at least one more film before moving onto a subsequent generation.

It doesn't take a lot to figure out how to use a gun (especially after having seen how humans use them- point, pull trigger, repeat) and I think the film showed this pretty well as the apes clearly were not very good at using them and instead relied on their numbers to overwhelm the humans with a bullet spray versus aiming. They also show them picking up more guns instead of reloading (Koba in particular was always shown picking up guns from dead apes whenever he ran out).

As for Caesar's kid's trigger finger, one would assume that might have more to do with his reluctance at using it/defying his father's memory/law.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I get the sense that there's a game plan in place here. That the entire story has been fleshed out, at least roughly. "This happens, then this happens, then...". That gives me some confidence that these movies will continue to build upon one another in an organic way. But if the plan is to eventually build to their way to POTA (astronauts from a pre-virus 21st century come back to Earth, not realizing right away that it is Earth, and find it populated with highly evolved apes who subjugate humans) I think it's going to be difficult to capture that same sense of mystery, confusion and fear with the entire backstory already known to us. But maybe they have an all new spin on that portion of the story that makes that moot.

Absolutely. I sort of get the sense he'll die in the third film (even as the apes prove victorious), removing any hope of reconciliation or peace between humans and apes.

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The space exploration/time travel story no longer has any meaning for the franchise. Now it's the story of how a human-engineered primate competes for dominance with a declining human species.

17. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    ...Well there were those scenes in Rise that showed those astronauts getting lost in space on the news. If you ask me, that indicated we're heading for some form of remake of the original movie.

18. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    That is unfortunate, as is the overemphasis on CGI

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Agreed- they probably won't go with the "don't know it's Earth" angle, at least not for the duration. They might discover the truth early on and move past that into pre-rise humans dealing with fully established Ape domination in ways that used-to-Ape-domination humans wouldn't, but then take that into a whole different direction since they would already know there's no escape from the planet and would have the extra motivation of reclaiming their world in some manner.

You might even be able to merge the plots of POTA and "Beneath the..." into some form of single film.

Juke Skywalker and DarthMane2 like this.
  20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    A great movie. The human characters were pretty good, but this movie could have been entirely apes and would probably have been better. The first 15 minutes were magnificent. CGI in this film was great. Some of the most realistic work I've seen.

Good story, wasn't shorter or longer then it needed to be, great performances, I mean what more could you ask for? I mean to tell the truth when they were just sitting around their home just talking using sign language, I was more than entertained.

Didn't really jump on the Koba band wagon a lot of people were. Great performance, but I liked Serkis more quite performance myself.

21. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I agree 200% that it's a mistake to try to connect the new POTA films to the original '68 film. That being said, this is what I think the plan is due to a recent online interview I saw with M. Reeves (the director of Dawn & the third?! film). If I can find the link to this, I'll post it here.

22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That's why I think having pre-rise humans come back into the story is a must at some point. There needs to be someone who comes in, is horrified by what they see, and then lights the fires of revolution. In a way, the story needs to come full circle, but with both learning to live together at the end.

Yeah, I believe Reeves is on board for the third film. If you do come across it, please do.

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I enjoyed the movie as well. I would have a liked a little more action other than the events that bookended the film. I'm glad the speaking was left to a minimum concerning the apes. It (1) made it more impactful when they did speak and (2) since they spoke with broken english, it came off as non-intelligent when they were anything but.

Questions:
    They never really told us what happened to James Franco's character, but I guess we can assume that the virus killed him off?

Also, I was wondering, while the virus spread killing humans all over the word, did the virus spread from humans to apes creating smart apes all over the country OR are the only smart apes the ones in San Fran? Was that addressed in the opening and I missed it?

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It wasn't addressed, I don't think.

And I'm assuming Franco is dead, unless they decide they want him in again.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    They're saving the big Charleton-Heston-Statue-of-Libertyesque moment for the next movie when "Caesar" unzips his ape suit, revealing it was James Franco all along.