main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Dotting of the "i": The Ohio State Athletics Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DT421, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, it was nice to see Florida go down. I just wish it could have been one of those title game matchups that OSU'd won, rather than this one. Still, take what you can get :p

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Sullinger is a beast. I do not get tired of seeing Ohio State bring in top recruits year after year. Just hope one of them can lead us to a title one of these years ...

3. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    This Ohioan hopes that the Buckeyes tromp all over Michigan today!!!:D

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Today, nothing else matters.

That Pryor has fallen short of Heisman hype this year.
    That the Buckeyes choked at Michigan.
    That a team with National Title hopes doesn't even control it's own Rose Bowl fate.
    The loss to Wisconsin.

On this day, all that matters is this:

BEAT MICHIGAN

5. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Seven in a row!

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    :D

Man, do I love Jordan Hall and Jamaal Berry. That kick return was awesome, and Berry's block made it. My internal hype machine is already predicting the 2012 OSU-Michigan game as the exclamation point on Berry's Heisman campaign.

7. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    PRYOR AND BOOOOOOOOM

lol @ Michigan.

8. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I want Pryor and the other four morons off the team now.

If it's one thing I detest with a passion, it's when the teams I love have idiots on them who selfishly commit violations.

I'll not be rooting for them when these five players play next year.

EDIT: Sugar Bowl ruined for me now, as these *******s are apparently eligible to play it.

This is ****ing embarrassing. I'd rather lose to App St than have this crap happen.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Ok, a couple things here:

Why are the suspensions only starting next season? If they broke the rules and need to be suspended, why does it not take effect immediately? :confused:

Also, I think its silly that players can be suspended for selling a ring or jersey that belongs to them. It was silly when AJ Green was suspended 4 games to start this season, and silly now in this case as well.

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    This is yet another example of the NCAA being arcane. Supposedly Pryor claims that he paid for his tattoo. There's gotta be more going on under the surface that what we know so far.

11. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    *Fixed. :(

12. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    It's not silly when those are the rules and you know them going in.

What's silly is when you get a free ride in school, when most students don't, get to play football and then completely disregard those rules for your own selfish gain. They basically screwed the fans, the university and more importantly their own teammates.

I wish Tressel would have the integrity to not play these idiots in the Sugar Bowl. But I know that won't happen as he seems to have this inexplicable man-crush on Pryor.

I would also like to see Tressel move on and just get the next QB up to speed and ride him out for the entirety of the season, but that won't happen for the already mentioned reason.

I won't be surprised either, if Pryor, rather than face his punishment like an adult, pulls a Pete Carroll and goes to the NFL instead.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Let me clarify: I think its silly that its in the rules that athletes can't sell things that belong to them, even if they did get them from playing.

Once its in the rules, appropriate punishment should be taken *cough$camNewtoncough*. But I think its silly for selling old jerseys or rings to be against the rules in the first place.

Also, I've seen the "explanation" for why the suspension doesn't include the bowl game... but it frankly makes no sense, IMO.

14. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Yeah, the explanation is garbage, considering that everyone knows the reason why. Playing second stringers in a BCS Bowl doesn't sell. Too much explaining to have to do to TV folks, bowl sponsors, etc...

So much lacking of integrity from all kinds of parties involved in this. It really is disheartening.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    What's silly is the NCAA's selective enforcement of rules.

Can't suspend Pryor for the Bowl game. That will drive down ratings and possibly attendance and you can bet your bottom dollar Ohio State fans will be less likely to pick up overpriced memorabilia. So, let's suspend them for the start of next year.

Tell me what deed is so bad that you have to miss five games for it, but not the next game?

Seriously.

Pryor should have just said his dad sold the stuff without telling him, about it.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Today has proven (once again) how silly & stupid the NCAA can be.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

17. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003

Agreed.

The NCAA should add an H on the end of that acronym though....for hypocrites....

Thier explanations and punishments are so arbitrary. "You can play in the multi-million dollar BCS game....but next year you are going to get it!!!"

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I should add, I'm not upset at the NCAA for suspending the players for next year. They broke the rules, they were stupid. They should know that selling things like that is against the rules. I just think it's incredibly stupid that they get to play in the big money bowl game.

I'm only half joking when I say I'm surprised the NCAA didn't hand pick his suspended games for next year to be not Miami, Colorado, Penn State, Nebraska, etc.

19. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Probably because the NCAA is hypocritical as hell, and they're all about money. Plus, What are the odds that more than one or two of those players would even return next year, when they are eligible to enter the draft?

20. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    DI

I too think they should face punishment.

But why 5 games here, 4 games there, this season for some, next season for others (talking about other schools as well, obviously)...etc...etc

Fans and others can clearly see the monetary gain by having these guys play. Sponsors do not want to pay for second stringers in the BCS games.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    A bit more dicey in a year where they don't know if there will be an NFL to play for if they declare for the draft this year.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    And regardless of the NFL's labor situation, Pryor leaving school early would probably be a big mistake for him in terms of continuing his development.

23. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I agree. Ohio St. suspended these players from the bowl game, then NCAA reinstated them for one purpose only. $$$$$$$. Just another reason why college football sucks compared to NFL.

24. IntyMobile

IntyMobile Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2009
    Not worse than missing half a season and returning to play Nebraska. Plus he's an NFL WR not a QB so playing another year of college QB does nothing for his development

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Inty, yeah, I guess that probably is true.

Is there even a chance that the NCAA can pretend that the bowl game is the "appeal time"? You know, like how MLB players that appeal suspensions still play in games until it's settled?