main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Dotting of the "i": The Ohio State Athletics Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DT421, Nov 30, 2006.

1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    ARTICLE on the whole ordeal as it stands now.

And I heard Kirk Herbstreit basically state on ESPN that had this been John Cooper, he'd have already been brought in front of the firing squad in Columbus. Tress is getting the 'apologist' treatment for winning.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I don't see any way this doesn't end up with Tressel gone.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The whole ordeal is ... well, sad's not quite the right word, but it's the closest emotion I have.

The entire image of Tress, of integrity, of doing things the right way ... it's pretty much gone. Even if he thought he was doing it to protect his players, it's still incredibly stupid, and even the most loyal Buckeye supporters have to admit his inaction was at least partially motivated by wanting to have Pryor on the field to win some games last year. I wish Tress would man up, and voluntarily step down, and save the University some face, because it's going to be dragged along until it's forced to fire him, and that outcome seems inevitable.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And ... it's not just raining, it's pouring ... Ohio State investigating car dealership with respect to more possible NCAA violations.

Shocking. The dealership that got passes to Ohio State games and let Pryor test drive a car for three days might have done something that goes against NCAA rules.

Terrel Pryor ... about to channel his inner John Callapari and become a serious vacator. His entire career at Ohio State is likely to go down as vacated.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    about to channel his inner John Callapari

[face_laugh] I needed that :p

6. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Guys, Ohio State just won the men's volleyball National Championship! They're back on top!

7. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Better see what kinds of cars they're driving and what dealership they got them from!

:p

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Seriously? Terrell Pryor is a good quarterback... but he's not worth all this. I mean, seriously.

And I don't know... if he's got Caloosepari's luck, he'll be NFL number 1 draft pick in 2012.

ETA: You'll have to add some "hostesses" and a good ol' BBQ at the coach's house to outclass Bruce Pearl and UT... they just don't come any classier.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Don't forget to take pictures of said party and deny their existence. ;)

10. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    He isn't that good of a QB, just athletic enough to get some wins.

And even then, a great QB isn't worth doing what Tressel and others have done.

11. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    The Ohio State men's tennis team is playing Virginia in the final four today.

12. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
  13. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Tressel Steps Down at Ohio State.

This saves face for the university. There was no way they were ever going to fire him, so with Tressel resigning on his own, it at least saves Ohio State the further embarrassment of actually firing him.

14. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Now I wonder what will happen with the players that were suspended.

What I mean is, say coach Fickle starts Braxton Miller the first five games and he does a great job and the Bucks are 5-0. Do you automatically give the job back to Pryor? Fickle may not have the same man-crush on Pryor that Tress did.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I wouldn't be shocked to see a few of them try to enter the Supplemental NFL draft, to be honest.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Separate probe for Terrel Pryor

Shocking. I doubt anyone could have seen this coming when he decided to put of his announcement of his school of choice on signing day to feed his own ego some more.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I haven't been keeping up with the details on NFL - is there going to be a supplemental draft this year? I know I heard some talk a couple months ago that there might not be one this year. If there is, I think some of those guys could very well go.

18. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I won't be surprised to see Gene Smith gone either. I think he should be gone as this all happened on his watch. The infractions are too numerous and glaring for him to not know anything that was going on.

OSU needs to clean house.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    How long has he been at OSU?

20. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    He's been AD since March 5, 2005.

Long enough.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    So for most of the span in question but not the one who hired Tressel, then.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't know that Smith needs to go. He came in after the O'Brien mess and cleaned it up pretty well. Not saying Thad Matta is squeaky clean (who is?), but he's gotten better results than O'Brien without the mess. I'd like to see who Smith can bring in, and not just be a puppet for. The biggest problem was that Tressel was bigger than his boss. If Smith hires someone (unless they get Urban, which ain't gonna happen), there's a really good chance the chain of command will be proper.

23. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    What will be the end result of all of this once everything settles probably years down the road based on the probable numerous sanctions that the NCAA will levy on Ohio State?

Do you see Ohio State still winning Big Ten(+2) titles around 4-5 years from now when the sanctions will probably be over, or does this and whatever punishment the NCAA imposes leave Ohio State in a much worse place than it has been for quite some time?

Also, do you think this has ruined your view of Tressel or are you more upset with Pryor and how he is now the main problem that Ohio State will deal with next?

24. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    What I really don't like about all of this is that Pryor and whoever else among the suspended players will enter the supplemental draft and move on unscathed and rewarded with nice contracts from an NFL team.

It's the same crap as with Reggie Bush, O.J. Mayo, Derrick Rose, Pete Carroll, etc... They haven't had to answer to, or atone for, the messes they've left behind because they were able to 'get out of Dodge' before the hammers fell.

There needs to be something in place to handle the transition between collegiate and the professional sports. If you commit something that greatly impacts the program you just helped to ruin, then you're ineligible to be drafted for one to two years in whatever professional sport you're trying to escape to.

Basically, have fun bagging groceries for the next one to two years, also without being arrested for anything and we'll see if you are still draft worthy.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    If you commit something that greatly impacts the program you just helped to ruin, then you're ineligible to be drafted for one to two years in whatever professional sport you're trying to escape to.

I think that's only appropriate... but somehow I doubt it'll ever be implemented. :(