main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Dotting of the "i": The Ohio State Athletics Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DT421, Nov 30, 2006.

1. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    That will never happen. The players broke the rules, not the law. There would be too many lawsuits for right to work.

I agree that there should be some accounting for rule breakers, but it would be hard to implement.

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I admittedly don't know a thing about labor laws, but what's the difference between the NFL establishing "hiring" criteria, such as NCAA infractions, versus any other employer who won't hire you because you didn't maintain at least a 3.0 GPA?

Getting a 2.9 GPA, or lower, isn't breaking the law either.

I think something could be "fashioned" to be within the letter of any labor laws, but I also know that it won't happen because money, not ethics, is ultimately the overriding factor when it comes to professional sports.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    money, not ethics, is ultimately the overriding factor when it comes to professional sports.

And that's precisely the reason it won't happen. Legally, they could put a "no major NCAA rule violations in the past 1-2 years" as a prereq for "hiring"... but the NFL has shown they don't care about such. All about the money.

Also, as if it wasn't blatantly obvious it was all about the money before, one need only look at the current state of the NFL for proof.

4. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    And the irony behind that is, America, with it's current economic state and our disdain for millionaires squabbling over $9 Billion dollars (Which came from our pockets), is currently purchasing season tickets for this possible up coming season at a pace ahead of last years sales.

Enable much?

We can be so idiotic sometimes.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, the good news is Ohio State isn't going to get hit with the dreaded "Failure to Monitor" or "Lack of Institutional Control" charges. The better news, is that football is just around the corner and we can start the post-Tressel era soon.

link

6. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    ESPN reporting this morning that the Bucks may be in for some more allegations by the NCAA. [face_plain]

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Dear Buckeye Nation,

Please stop over reacting to a close win over a fairly good Toledo team. Remember the following:

2002: 23-19 over Cincy - I think that year went pretty well for us
    2003: 24-17 over BGSU - and BG had the ball with a chance to tie in the final moments.
    2004: 24-21 over Marshall
    2008: 26-14 over Ohio - Ohio lead 7-6 at half time

It's not the first close call against an overmatched opponent. Not even an in-state opponent. Get over it. They won. Let's get ready for the inelligi-bowl

8. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Braxton Miller named starter for this Saturday. I'm glad to here this. I'd rather he take his lumps in this throw-away season now and come back more experienced for next season.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Good. Don't need Bauserman.

10. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Braxton performed okay for his first start. It's obvious to see the potential he has though. He still needs to work on his throwing mechanics, because he threw some serious ducks out there yesterday.

11. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Buck's O is looking pretty pathetic today. I wish they would let Miller open it up a little more. They seem to be running the same two plays the whole game so far.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    This is more painful to watch than the 35-3 USC thumping. '

Not quite to the level of the Biakabatuka game, though.

13. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm not really that upset about this. This is a young offense and I'm not really expecting much from them this year. I just want Miller to get his lumps, learn from it and come back experienced and improved for next year.

Between the Bucks and the Colts, I really have nothing to look forward to this year in football and it's only October 1st. :p

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, ****

Posey, Herron won't be back for the Nebraska game after all. The Bucks at least get Mike Adams back, so that should help the O-Line, but Boon and Posey would have been a boon to help get some big plays back in the offense.

15. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm sorry, but these players had to know they were getting too much for the amount of "work" they were doing. And in light of what they were already in trouble for, I'd say they're just plain dumb and should be booted off the team.

Some kind of message has to be sent and the culture has just got to change.

16. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Buckeye Mens tennis player Blaz Rola is the #1 seed in the fall All American tournament in Tulsa.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    *sigh*

'Tis better to have rushed and lost than never to have rushed at all.

Especially when not rushing means having Joe Bauserman throwing deep passes downfield that are either being picked off or heading towards the Colorado border. I can't for the life of me understand why Fickell didn't just run the ball and attempt to eat the clock after Miller got injured.

At least the offense showed signs of life - especially early when they were doing the swing passes and screens I've been calling for all season with Miller in the game - and gives me hope for Big Ten play the rest of the way and another win over TSUN.

And ... here's to months of speculation on the next coach. I like Fickell, but he's clearly in over his head.

18. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Offensive coordinator needs to be fired... like, today.

19. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    So I go to bed at halftime (I get up at 2:20 am for work) 7-3.

I wake up to find out that I probably missed Miller's breakout game. Glad to hear that it finally happened.

20. Darth_Brutus666

Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2006
    That game was so amazing...I'm really glad to see a Buckeye win over Wisconsin...during Homecoming no less.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Still without home internet.

Got to watch two plays from the Wisconsin game live as they happened. Watched Miller's TD run that I thought sealed it, and then when they broke into the USC-Stanford game with another Wisconsin TD, the Mrs. and I huddled around the iPod Touch to watch Miller win the game with that TD pass.

We went to our OSU bar yesterday to watch the game. WOW did everyone go crazy on the Braxton run. Getting very concerned with the defense and the inability to put an opponent away, though. But, seeing Braxton start to blossom is helping with that. I think the folks who say his ceiling is Troy Smith are right - except he seems to be a little smarter than Troy and so maybe he can lead us to a BCS title.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Game day for TSUN. Fearing the worst, hoping for the best.

GO Buckeyes!

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Disappointing result, yes, but a really fun game to watch. Most fun game to watch since the 06 #1 vs #2 game. Probably good for the rivalry that scUM won this year, too.

And, while 6-6 sucks, at least the team showed heart and fight in just about every game. This young team grew a lot during the season, and when they learn to finish games will be dangerous. Next year, and the two that follow it, look pretty bright.

Bring on the Little Caesar's Bowl.

24. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    ESPN reporting that Urban officially accepts the head coaching job! [face_dancing]

Knew this was happening anyway, but it's nice getting something concrete about this story.

EDIT: ARTICLE

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yup. Great to have it official and have something good/hopeful to wash away the bad taste in my mouth from this season.

Bold Prediction: Braxton Miller to be the second Sophomore to win a Heisman under Urban Meyer.