main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Double standards? Or are all spoilers the same? Discussion of "insider information".

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth Mischievous, Sep 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    First let me say that I do not want to see any bootlegged information (or video) from the upcoming AotC DVD before it is released.

Well, what about the intellectual property of LFL, such as storyboards (which have been leaked here, and stopped), and insider "spy" information?

It seems a double standard.

I want someone to justify obtaining information from upcoming DVDs and insider information of intellectual property (e.g., upcoming prequels) given by "spies" for revelation to the general public before actually being officially released. This includes all spoiler related information obtained underhandedly.

Seems illegal to me.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    As you've said, the storyboards were leaked, and then they were removed at LucasFilm's request. TFN knows for a fact that the LucasFilm doesn't want information on the bootlegs to spread, so they banned all discussion of it. They pretty much stopped the problem before it started.

Also, spoilers will help feed the public's interest in the film. Nobody is going to say, "I've read all the spoilers, I know what will happen, so I have no reason to see the film." However, people would say, "I have a DVD quality bootleg of AOTC. Why should I buy something that I already have."

3. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    If LFL requests it be removed, it is removed.

And the storyboards and script were here at one time and promptly removed at the behest of LFL.

4. QueenDorme

QueenDorme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Well, what about the intellectual property of LFL, such as storyboards (which have been leaked here, and stopped),...

Actually, they were leaked to NabooOnline and linked in the PSA. LFL advised against the linking.

and insider "spy" information?

If LFL can't control information from linking, that's their problem. As long as the information wasn't illegally stolen and/or resold or plagurised, they can't do didley squat.

I want someone to justify obtaining information from upcoming DVDs and insider information of intellectual property (e.g., upcoming prequels) given by "spies" for revelation to the general public before actually being officially released. This includes all spoiler related information obtained underhandedly.

Okay, let's face it. The only people interested in the spoiler information is us SW geeks and nerds. The rest of the fairly sane population of Earth couldn't care less about what is going to happen in EpIII until it arrives in the cinemas.

Meanwhile, the leaked info builds a momentous amount of enthusiasm for the movie richly rewarding GL.

5. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    I definitely see the point of your arguments, and the enthusiasm it does bring about for the prequels.

The question is then why does LFL try to be so secretive (as it does for obvious reasons), and yet leaked information is sort of - dismissed.

I remember hearing Mr. McCallum saying time and time again that 90% of what was on the internet was BS, yet the whole plot of AotC was known many months before its release.

How do you think they can get better control of this? The internet is indeed a powerful medium for conveying of information, and it is "all too easy" for things to spread quickly.

I would like to see the major plot points of Episode III remain unknown, such as they were for ESB (not that there is going to be any great twist involved).

IMHO, LFL needs to keep a tighter leash on its employees while filming, and they need to be a tad more careful not to let every stage hand or janitor (or whoever the case may be) in while they are filming or reviewing the script.

I guess it goes back to the old argument that wouldn't you enjoy the film more if you didn't know every single detail about it before it was released?

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Honestly? I think LFL allows some spoilers to be leaked intentionally. As others have pointed out, the release of a few morsels here and there whet the appetites of the fans, which can only be beneficial from the perspective of Lucas's pocketbook. I'm not sure how that ties in to the legal issues, though.

7. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    I guess I'm always hearing about the war drums concerning spoilers and legal ramifications concerning disclosure.

I don't know if LFL is oblivious to the truth (see my above post concerning Mr. McCallum) or they have a hand in leaking a small amount of info a bit at a time.

8. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    What LFL leaks is ok, since they're the owners. When stuff leaks out from employees and others in the know, then spread around the net, that is stolen property, and drives LFL absolutely wild, cuz it's the stuff we're not supposed to know about. :D :D :D

9. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Honestly? I think LFL allows some spoilers to be leaked intentionally. As others have pointed out, the release of a few morsels here and there whet the appetites of the fans,

True! (Just don't tell the marketing dept ;) )

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    For most intents and purposes, if a user posts information regarding the AOTC DVD prior to its release, they have not obtained a legal copy. As far as spoilers, the staff alerts us to cease and desist measures applied by LFL. One of those sent across the Internet was the storyboards. This still applies to this day. I, for one, don't want to test LFL and see what they might do.

11. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I think there is a difference between a provable spoiler and a non-provable spoiler. Lucas doesn't want actual pics of -- say story boards -- or actual parts of the scripts released on the internet, and he can always play the copyright card with that stuff. But if someone who's a known insider comes in and says "guess what I heard?" there isn't much Lucas can do about that.

12. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    Exactly.

You can copyright images, scripts and the like - but you can't copyright information. At least, I don't think you can. ;)

13. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Well, people can tell us all about the story if they want. Even if they are under contractual obligation to mention nothing, it is their kiester's on the line if they get caught, not ours for listening. With spy photos and pages of script - there are laws agains illegal reproduction of copyrighted material, right? But someone could claim to have been taking a picture of a road that runs through Fox Studios in Australia and Chris Lee just happened to be in the shot. There's nothing illegal about that.

There is also no profit being made, except on stolen items that are then sold (of course) or bootlegged material such as movies and DVD content. There are explicit laws before DVDs and movies about illegal copying.

TFn is not into buying info or promoting illegaly obtained video. Photos? Yes. Spy reports? Yes. Things that aren't copyrighted? You bet your sweet booty.

14. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    You bet your sweet booty.

Agreed. 8-}

15. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    I know for a fact that TFN tries its best to comply with LFL's requests. I remember just a few weeks ago, they got some cool stuff from the AOTC DVD and posted them on the news site. LFL saw it and let them know that it wasn't okay, and Josh immediately removed them from the server. I know that, in their enthusiasm, TFN staff post the occasional thing that LFL doesn't want shared, but they always comply with LFL's requests when asked to remove things.

LFL isn't so cavalier as to try to eliminate all AOTC information that leaks via the internet. It's a good thing, too, since that would effectively tell webmasters what's true and what's not. For example, Random Fanboy X could have speculated that Mace kills Jango Fett in AOTC, thus causing Boba's hatred of Jedi (hinted at in EU materials). If LFL saw that and had us remove it based on the fact that it does happen in the movie, that would just tell us fans that Random Fanboy X's speculation was correct.

Like green_cross_code said, you can't copyright information and, even if you could, it'd be impossible to enforce.

16. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    If LFL saw that and had us remove it based on the fact that it does happen in the movie, that would just tell us fans that Random Fanboy X's speculation was correct.

True. I don't think they would like it if people guessed story line event/plot outline events of the upcoming movies.

People guess right, and the 'insiders' don't want them to know their right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.