main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Doug Chiang and Iain McCaig returning for future films

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Diggs, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, that's... cool I suppose.
    Actually, I'm really not a fan of Doug Chiang. His designs are rather lifeless if you ask me.

ForeverSleep and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  3. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I much prefer the used and clunky look of the OT to the sleek and shiny of the PT, but can understand the aesthetic choice. Will be interesting to see Chiang work in later SW period (I'm assuming the look of these movies will feel more OT than PT but sure there will be a new flavour as well). Like McCaig a lot.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    McCaig is great.
    Chiang has some decent pieces as well, only they do tend to be a bit too smooth sometimes. Good thing is they are experienced in SW universe, so I guess they'll easily adapt to new requirements.

5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    You're right. Any kind of shorthand they can use to get things up and running quickly is a good thing with the tight release schedule they're trying to hit. From what Drew McWeeny was saying at Hitfix, it seems like the art departments and ILM are already hard at work on the key sequences. I've also heard that SW has booked most of the offices and stages at Pinewood.

6. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    McCaig was behind the designs of Maul for example, glad he's coming back.

7. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought Chiang nailed the aesthetics of Naboo and what it was supposed to be, one of my favorite locales of the saga.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Good news, indeed. Since they both attempted to incorporate elements of the OT into their PT designs... just moving backwards... now, they can incorporate both eras, only moving forward.

DarthBoba, FRAGWAGON and KED12345 like this.
  9. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Good News, most are complaining that they worked on the PT. So What? You know how many special effects artist worked on the PT? I actually thought the visuals of the PT looked great. I still watch ANH and cringe at some of the Tie Fighter being hung behind the fighters. That was great for then, but I really wouldn't want to see that now. The Technology has progressed even passed that of the PT. Use it damn it and invent some new ones.

Who can deny this looks awesome:

10. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Who's complaining? Everyone's been pretty complimentary so far. And we're talking about design rather than quality of FX.

11. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Well that is very surprising news. I imagined a whole bunch of new personnel on the ST.
    It shows 2 things in my opinion regarding conceptualisation.
    (1) Continuity. They want people whose minds are already attuned to SW.
    (2) They have not really completed conceptualisation if these important artists have just been announced! Doug Chiang was lead artist on TPM afterall.

Agree with Dranem - Chiang nailed the aesthetics of Naboo and PT in general (Art Nouveau).
    McCaig came up with some iconic SW looks (Maul and Padme in TPM).

These guys are creative talents.

12. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Their work on the PT was fantastic. And McCaig looks like he brings a certain energy and innovation to the process which is helpful. They really need to get Trisha Biggar on board now. Bodes well for the film.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
  14. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
  15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Good news! :)
    The production ream that is shaping up is making me excited! Some people with Star Wars experience, some without to possibly bring in something new and awesome we've never seen.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Great news.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    No complaints here.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Awesome on both fronts. McCaig is a helluva illustrator and Chiang a helluva designer.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Awesome! I love whenever I hear that they're bringing on folks with prior experience with Star Wars to add to the great new talent they've hired. I think it will only help connect this trilogy to the last two but also make it unique in its own right. I'm excited. :D

20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I approve. Not that it matters to anyone else. For what it's worth, I'm happy, for once.

FRAGWAGON and WatTamborWoo like this.
  21. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Agreed re: the opening battle scenes of Episode III. I thought it was quite breathtaking and is amongst my favourite SW opening scenes.

22. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Sweet. While no one can top McQuarrie/Johnston, these two are the closest.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. I suspect a majority of the reason for that is their admitted reverence of the OT's designers. They know how to incorporate what came before nearly effortlessly.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Seems to me they're bringing back a lot of the guys behind the writing of the OT with the guys behind the sets and props behind the PT. An excellent combination.

eht13 and Jedirush2112 like this.
  25. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Ooh...got some nice name on board, there. =P~

Well, now we can rest easy about the music, locations, and design of this movie. Not too worried about the story, between Arndt and Lucas.

Now if we could just get OFFICIAL confirmation about The Big Three, I could stop worrying and go hide until the trailers come out. :p