main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Doug Chiang and Iain McCaig returning for future films

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Diggs, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012

Bring me my casting news! *and no I dont consider the OT3 coming back Casting. I consider that "Returning". Casting IMO implies getting new people*

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm totally cool with this news.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  3. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    This is great news, just imagine the designs they will give us for the new movies.

eht13 likes this.
  4. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Great news and a pleasant surprise. Both of their works in the PT were awesome. Looking forward to how they'll shape the future of Star Wars.

5. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    they'll both be at CEII. Anyone think they'll show us some new art pieces there?

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Huh, I didn't think of that, but yes, that does seem likely :)

7. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Regarding (2), while I agree that they are probably not done yet, it does say "reunited at the start of this year" So they may have been working on this for almost six months now.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    Well this is good news indeed. It means that the first draft of the script is done. They are probably reading the script to juggle the info and come up with designs for JJ and uncle George to start approving. Looks like the movie is still on track for 2015. good !

Sean Sinclair and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That has nothing to do with the artistic design of the ships.

10. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I like Chiang & McCaig's artwork, but I hope some new/different talent is given 'top billing' this time around; McCaig & Chiang had their time at the top, it'd be nice to see some different stuff set the tone. Plus, McCaig's "young Han Solo" remarks for Revenge of the Sith showed a remarkable lack of understanding the character, and that worries me going forward--tho really it was George's fault for having him draw Kid Han in the first place (and even considering the notion that Han was raised on Kashyyyk by Chewie enough to ask for some concept art)

11. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I saw this today too. I'm glad they are both coming back. :)

12. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    What's the point of having a great design if you're not going to use it properly.

13. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    This is more exciting news than the director choice! Things bode well.....I love Chiang. Robota is inspiring.

14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    They've both done amazing work, they've no doubt found the right people for the job. I have no doubt in their versatility; they've done what was required by Lucas to invision the PT, but I'm excited to see what they'll think up for the ST.

15. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    "It's wonderful to be back! It's been over ten years since I last worked on Star Wars but my Star Wars roots have touched nearly every film I've designed since. It's still a bit surreal that I get to work on another one." says Chiang. "I was fortunate enough to have been a guest at the very first Star Wars Celebration in Denver back in 1999, and I was overwhelmed then by the appreciation of the art from the fan community. I'm very honored to attend again and meet new fans."

"Getting out from behind our drawing boards and meeting the folk we create these movies for is always a treat," says McCaig. "The feedback from fans around the world has helped shape many a design in the Star Wars universe." Asked about his work on upcoming Star Wars movies, McCaig smiles. "I never thought I'd live to see this day. It's pure magic to have the band back together again."

Getting the band back together again....haha! I love those guys.

From the source

16. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Yep, they could make a teaser trailer that's just the Studio getting these people to join up.

Barriss_Coffee and FRAGWAGON like this.
  17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I always liked Chiang's original art for the PT Jedi with black robes reminiscent of Luke in ROTJ. He was always putting that into the concept art, I think in the vain hopes Lucas would see it and go "ahh gee, that's a great idea Doug. Let's do that." Now, he gets to actually work on Luke in a SW film. Amazing.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    First of all, the TIE Fighters were not simply "being hung behind the fighters". They were filmed using motion control just like everything else. Either way, the artwork and design--how the ships were drawn had nothing to do with "the technology" that would be used to animate the ships on screen. Unlike say, the environments of ice world, desert, and forest, the designs of the ships in the first films were not so restricted by the available technology to put them onscreen. The perfection of the movement of the ships by TESB was not because of their designs but by the filming techniques.

19. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

"What makes a man turn neutral ... Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Artists Doug Chiang and Iain McCaig, both instrumental in shaping the look of the Star Wars saga, reunited at the start of this year as part of the team Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy has assembled to create an exciting new future for Star Wars.

And we're just hearing about it now. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. They are further along than they are letting on, guys.

21. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    The art department must have been up and running for a while and ILM is already working on the key sequences according to Drew at Hitfix. Let's not forget that during ROTS at least, GL had the design teams working away and actually informing the story as he was writing. The finished script was only delivered quite late.

Would be great to see some concept pieces soon.

22. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I'm psyched. That's even in spite of the fact that my wife almost signed up to take an illustration class from McCaig, but put it off thinking maybe she could do it next year... but, heh, guess he's gonna be tied up for a while now.

I can't stand the people on the SW Facebook feed who automatically identify anything associated with the prequels as bad. Lemmings. Internet comments... why do I do this to myself?

JasonW, Bad_Feeling and FRAGWAGON like this.
  23. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    Chiang's marker vehicle drawings are amazing. Blew me away when I first saw him doing one.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    That's the exact thing I DON'T want them to be doing this time around: designing elements from the story before there really IS a firm story. Letting the script be that fluid that late in the game results in things like the totally unnecessary Geonosis droid factory sequence in AOTC: Lucas eyes a production sketch, says "I can make an exciting sequence out of that design," and introduces and shoots another green-screen cafuffle which really doesn't affect the overall story and, worse, it sets the completion of that film behind to the point where more of the John Williams score for the last half hour of the film was made up of snippets from other parts of the score, and even snippets of Williams' score for the previous film, than it was original music that had a set tempo that drove the action forward. That can be a terrible handicap in a film where the action is supposed to build to a grand climax of emotion, and where the score has a critical part in achieving that. In other words, have a firm and well-thought-out story in hand FIRST, and THEN design it. Yes, Arndt is a good writer and probably is far more ahead than we think, and yes, he's no Lucas, but the basic principle is still a sound one.

But that's not so much to do with Chiang or McCaig themselves. Personally, I'm pleased as peach to have them back. Their roles were crucial and their work on the PT was superb; neither of them are Ralph McQuarrie, but then filling his shoes was a tall order from the start, and they did manage to do it pretty well. The Queen's Royal SR-71 Ripoff aside, the ships looked good. And their aesthetic sense could work very well for the ST if you follow the general design rules they've been following so far in the saga: the PT represented the period of 1940-1950, when automobiles (and, thus, starships) were clean and sleek with lots of chrome bits and bobs; the OT represented the period of 1970-1980, when cars were more about straight lines and were more utilitarian and less flashy; the ST could represent the period of 1990-2010, when cars (beginning with the Ford Taurus, I suppose, but feel free to correct me on that one) have become more curvy and clean again, the interiors more flowing and well-appointed. And in this saga, as real-life cars go, so do the fictitious starships.

That said, since we'll probably be seeing the detritus of earlier eras in this film, a little extra design help could be useful, particularly if that help knows the OT aesthetic like the back of his hand. Can't they get Killian Plunkett to come aboard too, even if only briefly? Or is he already too tied up with Rebels to do it? It's not an essential thing, but it'd be nice to see what he could do for the film.

25. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, with the release schedule they have, their hands are tied. They have to get up and running design-wise. Personally I'm not so worried as, as you say, Arndt is a very good writer and it's highly likely the majority of the big set pieces won't change that much at this stage. I'm a writer myself, and personally I'd love people to be designing away as I honed the story. But as you say, it's up to the writer to make sure that story is a good one and well executed at that.

With regards the Droid Factory sequence, that was thought up after GL felt the original edit lacked pacing, so they threw that in very late (and it shows). But GL's mindset on the PT was very much "we'll fix it in post", which I don't think JJ will go with so much. Totally agree on the knock-on effect of that methodology when it comes to the finished film (and aspects such as Williams' score).

Would be great to see Killian Plunkett involved. I'm sure there are plenty of other great names in the art department. Hoping we here more soon.

Sean Sinclair likes this.