main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Doug Chiang and Iain McCaig returning for future films

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Diggs, Jun 13, 2013.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Star Wars is best when it is guided by the visual and the kinetic. Hopefully Arndt has a desk close by to these guys.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Just to add my voice here too... great news. =D=

3. Airseven

Airseven Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2013
    Well these guys worked on the prequel trilogy, so this in fact is sobering news.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah because Darth Maul and the ROTS opening battle were so incredibly dull. /s

Kinda curious what the post-Endor galaxy is going to look like. :)

5. ForeverSleep

ForeverSleep Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2004
    I don't consider maul such a great design.
    1. Paint face red.
    2. Add some cheesy 90s style tribal designs.
    3. Add some random horns.
    4. Sith contact lenses.
    5. ZOMG make him wear black. Bad guys always wear black!

C+ design at best

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    You ought to read how Maul's tattoos were created if you think that's even close to what happened. ;)

7. ForeverSleep

ForeverSleep Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2004
    I've read it. But to the common non-nerd, the above is all they see.

8. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Actually I liked alot of what both did and said so months ago that I wouldn't mind seeing them work on the ST. Yes, I am a psychic. LOL

BTW -- I don't think they'll be the only ones working on the art. Probably the other guys just aren't BIG names.

DarthBoba likes this.
  9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

I was horrified at the face of Darth Maul when he took off the hood in TPM, I was 4 at the time of course but it was certainly traumatic every time afterwords I watched TPM until I was 11.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah. Maul was (and is, for being mostly dead :p) an insanely popular character.

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think the golden-armored concept of Maul with the long neck piece was infinitely better than what we ended up getting, even though what we got was still great.

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Maul in general is an awesome design, no matter which stage (IMO) anyway-just the sheer attention to detail in things like his outer cloak being open down the sides to facilitate agility and lightsabre combat with it on totally impress me. Course, I feel the same way about Vader's lightsabre and how it can be worn on the belt with the emitter facing up to allow for an extremely fast 'draw'...love little touches like that :p

13. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I'm really glad to hear this news. With the franchise out of Lucas's hands - I know many hate him but I'm not one of them - I felt weird about just relying on Kathleen Kennedy for continuity. The art and design is one of my favourite parts of Star Wars and I think it's one of the few science fiction films that actually invests a lot into that part of the film.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  14. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Visuals first and foremost. Script plays a role but remember this is Star Wars. It's built upon visuals and music. From McQuarrie through Tiemens, they are in a certain sense the progenitors of the entire Saga.

themetresgained and El_Machete12 like this.
  15. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I am not entirely sure about Chiang and McCaig... There are lots of things in their PT concept art that don't feel like Star Wars to me at all.

Toonimator likes this.
  16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    *not insulting anybody here* but I find it kinda funny how we never are satisfied. When we get new people, we complain that "UGH why didn't they just bring back the guys from the prequels and/or originals crew?" but when we get the same guys we go
    "UGH why are they bring them back and not somebody new". God bless us ;)

17. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Welcome to the human race! :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I agree with you 100%. However, Cinema has matured much since 1977 and I feel a strong script is much needed if Star Wars is to continue. Look at "Man of Steel". It has some of the best effects ever caught on film, yet the story/ Script lacked. The outcome was that "Man of Steel" even though stunning visually, doesn't capture the greatness of Batman, Iron Man or the Avengers! Ms. Kennedy and Lucasfilm should take this into consideration. Special Effect can't carry a film any longer. You need a strong if not immaculate script combined with impeccable acting if the movie is to compete with big boys. That said, I know that Star Wars Episode VII will probably be the most stunning visually of all the movies. The future of Star Wars truly lies in Arndt hands! Arndt will solely determine whether Episode VII Sinks or Swim! Its good to know that the flick has three great Floatation devices built into it with Harrison, Fisher and Hamill!

:cool:

19. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    excellent news. i'm pretty excited about the production team they're putting together.

20. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Good catch.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    no , didn't like their stuff , there must be better people out there .

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Definitely true -- all the movies had several artists. These days it's almost guaranteed a sci-fi flick will hire an armada of concept designers.

And I wish they'd bring Dermot Power back someday....

23. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Awesome. The PT designs were SOOO much better than the OT designs! Exciting news!

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  24. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They need both guys. McCaig is a genius & he pretty much designed most of the costumes for EPI which were interpreted by Trisha Biggar. Both guys are amazing. Hope this be true!

25. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Ascribing "greatness" to those movies you named is revealing. Don't get me wrong, I love Nolan's Batman, but Star Wars is in another universe of screenwriting. You would do better to see how it measures against Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, Mark of Zorro (Tyrone Power), The Sea Hawk, Captain Blood, or any one of the great Golden Age westerns.

I'll have to agree to fundamentally disagree with you on this point. This confirmation of Chiang and McCaig is way more important than Arndt's hiring. Note I do not say that Arndt is unimportant, but in the STAR WARS scheme of things, it takes the back seat.

themetresgained and Bad_Feeling like this.