main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Doug Chiang back for Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Mystery Roach, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    So I've totally missed this if it was already known, but I didn't see it in the confirmed info thread and couldn't find anywhere else where it made sense to mention it so I figured I might as well start this thread, but if it belongs elsewhere then by all means point the way.

Anyway I was looking at this story on the official site... http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/10/18/star-wars-art-concept-exclusive-preview/ and I noticed this... "and an introduction from prequel trilogy (and future Star Wars films) artist Doug Chiang". I looked on IMDb (I usually take info on upcoming movies with a grain of salt there but nevertheless...) and it does indeed list him as a concept artist on Episode VII. As I said this could be old news for all I know, but this the first I've heard of his return to Star Wars and I do find it notable and somewhat interesting.

2. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, this was out ages ago - McCaig's back too. They did a panel at Celebration.

3. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Ah ok. Someone should probably update the Confirmed Info thread then. Move along...

Diggs and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I love concept art. LOVE IT! Even the stuff that doesn't get into the films. I could sit and look at it for hours. I simply can't get enough.

Concept artists are magical especially McCaig and Chiang -- one of the things that I speculated about back just after D-day was if they'd be back and they were much to my excitement.

5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    You should check out the new concept book. Lots of nice stuff in there.

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    This is awesome news, and totally new to me. I hope he gets to play jazz with Dave Filoni on some Rebels designs.

7. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Are there any existing threads about the concept art or design aesthetic of the ST yet? Maybe it's still a little early and I don't know if we'll even get to see any art before the movie, but it could be an interesting topic.

whostheBossk and LawJedi like this.
  8. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    That's good news. they are supremely talented artists!

9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I am shocked that there aren't 10 threads about how they're going to ruin the movie and make it look like a sleek, chrome plated prequel.

10. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I dunno if the announcement necessarily means he's back for VII. They've only ever officially stated that he's back for future films, so he could just be working on the spin-offs.

Either way, I love his concept art for TPM and really look forward to his future designs.

11. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    There was one but that was in the archived threads. SOOOOO

I LOVE THIS

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I hope you can pick up this new book, then:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Star-Wars-Return/dp/0345511468/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382220748&sr=8-1&keywords=making of jedi

Amazing look behind the scenes look at the films, and not just the art (thought the volumes are packed with images I'd never seen!), but also an engaging historical record of the making of the films. The first two are fantastic as well. A bit on the pricy side, but extremely well worth it. I only have a coffee table so I can put them on it!
    I hope that the Prequels are next up...

13. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Rinzler's three Making of SW are some of the best out there. Own all three in hardcover. However he did say he most likely is not doing a PT version of them. In a recent interview with TFN:

14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm actually going to see if I can get it through the library (at least to read.) We have a great system where we can borrow materials from practically every library throughout the state.

15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    In fairness, the only chrome plated designs in the prequels were directly connected with Naboo, which makes sense on a logical level as well as a thematic one. I don't think sleekness was ever really a problem with the Prequels. The first Republic cruiser we see in TPM was very much in line with the OT designs, as were many of the ships we see afterwards, although I do think that a lot of the designs in the PT, while very good in their own right, weren't quite as strong and iconic as the OT designs like the X-wings and the TIE fighters, so I am kind of hoping to see those ships again, and/or something just as good. That said, I do think there should be a return to some of the Prequel aesthetic as well, with another kind of renaissance occurring after the fall of the Empire, which could have something to do with Chiang being brought back on.

Dasan, Dranem and Diggs like this.
  16. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    Well, there's also this one that's a slimmed down version of the OT 'Making Of' books, also by Rinzler. It's got some great stuff in it too. I must say, I love Chiang's stuff, but McCaig's stuff is really mind-blowing. Good that they're both gonna be involved.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Star-Wars-Episode/dp/0345431359/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382221615&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=revenge of the sith renzler

For some reason the "Look Inside!" feature on Amazon links to an entirely different book...o_O

17. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I never sweated the design principals behind the ships and technology of the PT as some have.

Firstly, the designs had to be by a different people with different ideas. Mission accomplished.

Secondly, we saw an evolution of design as the Empire sucked-in and dominated other cultures.

Lastly, one of the reasons that the OT is considered iconic is because it's been around for 37 years and has been reporduced in a ton of different things like video games and cartoon spoofs like Family Guy and Robot Chicken. In fairness Episode 1 has been around for 14.

With 30+ years passing between E 6 & 7 i would expect a new evolution of some of the vehicles we knew as iconic. Will the fanbase be able to handle new, slseeker versions of X-wings for instance?

Darth PJ and Darth Raiden like this.
  18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    At some point in the ST, they should travel to Kessel or some other junk world. Just so we can see old designs in the scrap heaps. Imagine someone accidentally activating a Destroyer droid.

Maybe the Falcon needs a new part but because it's so outdated the only place to find it is a junk planet.

19. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    An Ian McCaig Sith design I'd love to see more of...

[​IMG]

20. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Agreed about McCaig. I'm glad he's returning too, although I found that less surprising since he stuck around for all the Prequels.

I'm not downing the PT designs. As I said, they were very good in their own right, and the evolution was logical. However, I do think the OT designs were more a bit more iconic on their own strength alone. People like McQuarrie and Johnston were simply amazing and there's no denying that they created something really special and often imitated but ultimately unrivaled.

Echo-07, Diggs and Buddha Fett like this.
  21. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    That's a freaky image for sure, but I can't quite imagine how it translates to the physical world.

A Junk planet or Kessel would be fun to see.

I like most of the PT designs. While I prefer the look of the OT, I can appreciate why there was an evolution.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  22. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    The way I see it, McQuarrie and Johnston created the sandbox, Chiang and McCaig (and others) created some kick-ass toys to play with in said sandbox. Star Wars has been fortunate to have talented visionary creators throughout it's history, eh? ^:)^

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  23. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    I may not have cared much for the execution of the PT, but I do find almost all the concept art, and work to be wonderful and beautiful.

Diggs and Mystery_Roach like this.
  24. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    The three concept books across the PT are stunning. The work those guys and girls put in was never anything less than stellar.

TheStorm likes this.
  25. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.