main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Down in Front: - This week, SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Teague, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    Star Trek VI: Undiscovered Country

Enjoy. Also, we have a small local forum set up now that's in beta, just getting everything set up for the day a few weeks from now when we try to get the entire internet on board for the show. Until then, if any of you folks who have been active in this thread want to head over, kick out a user name, and argue there, we'd be much obliged. [face_dancing]

2. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    Hook!
    Hook brings out fairly strong opinions in everyone who?s seen it, perhaps because it marks a definitive turning point in the career of Steven Spielberg. It?s a perfect halfway mark between the guy who chopped the hell out of some random baldie with a giant propeller in Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the guy who literally edited guns out of E.T. because, seriously folks, think of the children.
    This is one damned awesome commentary if I do say so myself. Enjoy, tell your friends, and also register over at the Down in Front forum so that we can harness the energy of your opinions into our collective flux capacitor and send you back to the future.

3. bobaandy123

bobaandy123 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2005
    Keep up the fantastic work, guys. These are incredibly informative and absolutely hilarious.

4. elemental_fantasy

elemental_fantasy Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2006
    Hook?????

WTH?

I swear, hook was on tv the other day, I actually thought it would be cool to hear a Hook commentary from you guys.... creepy....but cool, I'll have to watch.

5. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    Awesome. Didn't know that.

6. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    A giant problem with these is that, assuming we're watching the DVD version, it doesn't work outside of the US. PAL DVDs play at 25fps, whereas the effective framerate for NTSC discs is 23.976fps. A small difference, but cumulative. I can't watch/listen for more than 2 minutes or so without the difference becoming jarring.

The solution would be to release a PAL-friendly version of the show, sped up by 4.096% and pitch-shifted to match. Of course I could do this myself (and did for your Matrix commentry) but I think your European audience would appreciate it if you took the time to do this.

7. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    So it worked for you after extending it by 4.096%? We'll absolutely do that for every release if it's fail-safe.

PAL-ifying Hook right now.

8. Lord_Charisma

Feb 9, 2001
    Well, to say it's fail-safe would be premature (technically you'd be contracting it by 4.096%, not extending it). The Matrix one worked for me. There are instances where it wouldn't work. For example, the one stupid second they took out of Attack of the Clones in the UK. There aren't a vast amount of instances of differing cuts from the NTSC to the UK / Europe, so for the most part, the theory is sound.

9. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    Awesome. Here's Hook in PAL. We'll release two files per episode from now on. Thanks man.

10. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    Wild Wild West, with special guest Ryan Wieber.

Enjoy, all you UKers lemme know if these PAL files are helping or doing the opposite of helping.

11. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Even though I didn't talk very much, I did have a good time, and hope to join in on future shows with flicks I have more to say about.

12. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Darn Wild Wild West isn't on Netflix instant cue and I don't remember it very well.

13. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    The Mask!

Still doing extra-special PAL versions for you UKers. Enjoy, make fun, etc..

14. Robi-Wan

Robi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2006
    Nice, I'll listen as soon as I get out of bed again. Gotta get some hours of sleep first. I love this film. Great actors, great sets, great performances.
    Kinda miss that it's not live, like Geekza was. Still, entertaining as hell.

15. Lord_Charisma

Feb 9, 2001
    Gah - I left my Mask DVD up in Middlesbrough. Thanks muchly for the PAL-friendly versions - they are being used :)

16. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around why they'd release movies with the exact same editing that are somehow completely different lengths. They literally squeeze the movie into a shorter duration? And presumably pitch correct and everything?

17. Lord_Charisma

Feb 9, 2001
    It's the difference in framerates between PAL and NTSC that causes the problems, of course. But yes - using a pulldown method with NTSC you can get very nearly 24FPS (23.976). For PAL, someone at some point just thought - speed it up, pitch shift it and be damned with the difference. It's a good solution. 24 to 25 is unnoticable, as long as the audio is properly sorted.

Interestingly, when we get movie spots and commercials here in the UK, they're effectively 24 frame-blended to fit into 25, which causes ghosting and smearing, as you'd expect. I was wondering the other day why they'd do this for commercials but not for DVDs and full films played on TV, and then I thought, of course, for commercials the distributors expect to have their full time quota filmed, even if it is only different by a few frames in length. But it does severely affect the quality because of the blending.

18. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    Jaws!

Enjoy our wisdoms.

19. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Awesome.
    I may just have to watch the movie with it this time.

TV does this too. I know for sure "Friends" is guilty of this. It may just be TBS that does it, pretty sure that's where I've seen it (they practically invented 'start the next show during the credits', but during certain actions you can tell they've been sped up. I'm pretty sure it's just TV and not on the DVDs, but I haven't done comparisons or anything.

Commercial time, I get that. Still seems a little ridiculous.

20. Lrd_Radon

Lrd_Radon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2009
    Hmmm, the JAWS commentary isn't showing up on my itunes podcast list. Any idea what the issue is?

21. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I only saw the PAL version to d/l, didn't see a link (other than streaming) for the regular.

22. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    Oh god, I suck at life. Sorry everybody!

EDIT: Both issues are resolved. Vapes, the link was there, it just doesn't underline and blueify itself: bam.

iTunes should update you soon, iTunesers.

23. Teague

Apr 9, 2006
    The Abyss commentary released! FX_Guy was the motion designer for the main underwater critters! And it's with guest Ryan-W, no less!

What more do you want from us?!

24. bobaandy123

bobaandy123 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2005
    Easily my favorite commentary. This is just incredible.

25. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Do you all have a list of films you're planning to commentate, or is it just whatever's on the shelf when you get together? Can we make requests?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.