main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Down on the Farm -- Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, **Complete**, 9-Mar-2006

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Down on the Farm
    Author: ardavenport (aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: drama
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, JA, BfTS
    Summary: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan endure an unpleasant decontamination.
    Notes: There?s not a lot of action here, and that?s only in flashbacks and the angst is mild, but there?s some sympathy and, um, leeches. Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I?m just playing in their sandbox

The Alzidans liked windows. Big, landscape-wide windows. It was fairly obvious to Qui-Gon Jinn why they liked them. But he didn?t think that beautiful scenery was a sufficient reason for putting them in their med center. But they had anyway.

Qui-Gon faced the huge picture window and the swampy flat lands and the hills beyond them outside, all bathed in the orange light from Alzida?s huge, primary sun. A padded chin rest and frame immobilized his head, his body supported on a slanted medical table with rests for his arms before him.

He heard a click and a whoosh. In his side vision, he could see that Em-Four-See had just finished positioning his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, in the bacta tank, a tall, clear tube in the very white medcenter. He floated, eyes closed, naked except for the harness and body fittings that supported him, and the breathing apparatus on his face.

He was also bald. Shaved everywhere by the droids, except for the Padawan?s braid that drifted in the bacta next to him.

?I shall begin this part of the decontamination. Please remain still, Master Jinn,? Em-Four stated in it?s smooth modulated tones. It was a voice programmed to be comforting and reassuring for it?s patients. Warmed, white-padded, silver fingers gently grasped his head. Qui-Gon Jinn cared for neither comfort not care. He merely wished to endure the procedure as silently and quickly as possible and be done with it. Em-Four?s skilled fingers began picking through the jelled hair around his left ear.

Having no other choice, Qui-Gon stared out the window as the droid worked, making little, slick, smacking sounds as it moved up his head. An enormous moolu had slowly undulated onto the plane below the farm complex. Two smaller ones followed it. A ?small? moolu was at least as big as any of the farm complex buildings. With no limbs, their whole bodies were one great, long, fat muscle; they skimmed the swampy plain for the tasty algae and fungi that grew on the flat lands with a small mouth at the forward end. Dark patches spotted the moolus? great bodies. They looked like brown discoloration on the great beasts? hides. The glint of a droid skiff hovered into view, scanning the moolus and the patches on them.

A small, white tray moved to Qui-Gon?s left and he saw tiny little moolutee dropped onto it by Em-Four. Their thin black bodies coiled and twisted like animated strings. The tiny little pincers on both ends, their only feature, flexed and grabbed the air before the droid?s suction nozzle took them away. Tiny smudges of red blood remained on the white tray before the droid wiped it off and then dropped more wriggling little moolutee on it. Bits of clear gel clung to them.

?They look rather active. Are you sure they?re anesthetized?? It was difficult to speak; aside from the numbness, with the frame around his chin he had to move his whole head to just open his mouth even a little bit.

?It is only reflex motion. They are no longer able attach themselves to you.? Em-Four continued it?s clicking and smacking. ?The decontamination will go faster if you refrain from speaking Master Jinn.?

Qui-Gon obliged by not replying and looking away from the tray. Another moolu had moved into the field outside, another moolu

2. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    What a wonderful beginning. I loved the descriptions of Qui-Gon's surroundings as well as the various ministrations being performed. And the ad jingle--what an inventive, realistic touch! :eek: =D= I can't wait for more...especially considering the last line. ;)

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Great start! I'll be looking forward to updates on this one! =D=

4. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Sounds lovely. I liked the way Qui-Gon refused to have his hair shaved. Just like him. And the description of the molutees. :D The whole set-up was intriguingly described. Great work!

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, gross. I can just picture the *ehm* leeches being pulled off his body as that stupid song was going on. I can certainly see why Obi-Wan would just shave his head - after all, with his buzz cut, it wouldn't be long before it would grow back. However, Qui-Gon would need months if not years to grow back his...

That's some contamination. Why do both of them need to be in the bacta tanks? Why is Qui-Gon immobilized?

Good job. Looking forward to answers and more questions.

6. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    So many quesetions -- how did they get contaminated, though I can obviously see poor Qui having difficulty with his long hair - you'd think he'd just opt for the way to get it shaved. I'm sure you'll provide us with answers soon :) Looking forward to more!

7. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Qui-Gon clenched his teeth this time, which came naturally with his chin fixed in place. There were dozens, maybe hundreds, of verses to that song. Qui-Gon hardly knew more than a few but he begrudged every brain cell occupied by them.

LOL, I just loved that line. It pushes a fitting reality into the story and invokes an empathy with the rather beleaguered Qui-Gon. I'm glad Qui-Gon decided not to shave his hair - he just wouldn't be the same without it!

You described the planet very well and really placed the reader into the environment. I'd like to know how they both got contaminated and what effects this will have on both Master and Padawan.

Good job [face_love]

8. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Flawless job=D= -PM me with more please.:D

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I have to admit that while I was reading this, I was pulling my long hair into a bun for protection.

10. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    This is certainly an original idea and very realistically done. It's a very interesting start. I'll be reading. :)

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    LuvEwan: What a wonderful beginning. I loved the descriptions of Qui-Gon's surroundings as well as the various ministrations being performed. And the ad jingle--what an inventive, realistic touch! I can't wait for more...especially considering the last line.

With all those signs and all that nightlife we saw in ATOC I assume that it must seep into even the Jedi?s cloistered Temple. Yes, Obi-Wan gets out of the bacta and Qui-Gon gets his turn.

VaderLVR64: Great start! I'll be looking forward to updates on this one!

Thanks. I hope you like the next part.

Princess_Arulmozhi: Sounds lovely. I liked the way Qui-Gon refused to have his hair shaved. Just like him. And the description of the molutees. The whole set-up was intriguingly described. Great work!

Yes, Qui-Gon will defend his hair; it must have taken a long time to grow, and he must be willing to go through a little discomfort to preserve it. Thanks.

dianethx: That's some contamination. Why do both of them need to be in the bacta tanks? Why is Qui-Gon immobilized?

Good job. Looking forward to answers and more questions.

Yes, there is more and some answers. Thanks for reading.

Layren: So many quesetions -- how did they get contaminated, though I can obviously see poor Qui having difficulty with his long hair - you'd think he'd just opt for the way to get it shaved. I'm sure you'll provide us with answers soon Looking forward to more!

Aaaaaah, more questions will be answered with the next part. Stay tuned.

River_Stone: LOL, I just loved that line. It pushes a fitting reality into the story and invokes an empathy with the rather beleaguered Qui-Gon. I'm glad Qui-Gon decided not to shave his hair - he just wouldn't be the same without it!

You described the planet very well and really placed the reader into the environment. I'd like to know how they both got contaminated and what effects this will have on both Master and Padawan.

A bald Qui-Gon would be a very un-fun Qui-Gon, and probably a very unhappy Obi-Wan, too. So, he had to want to keep his hair. Glad you liked it.

kenobiwanobi: Flawless job -PM me with more please.

Thanks. Glad you?re enjoying it.

PadawanKitara: I have to admit that while I was reading this, I was pulling my long hair into a bun for protection.

Oooh, all the discomfort is meant for the Jedi.

Indra: This is certainly an original idea and very realistically done. It's a very interesting start. I'll be reading.

Thanks for reading. It means a lot.

|[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]|[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]| Part 2

Em-Four-See helped Obi-Wan Kenobi into the white, medical isolation suit. It wasn?t as heavy as the blue, outdoor environment suit, but it was more uncomfortable with his body hair shaved off, along with the half-healed bites all over his body, some located in fairly tender regions. The isolation suit also bunched up in places at his knees and elbows, the shoulders sagging down over his arms. Obi-Wan thought it would better suit his much larger Master instead of his smaller, seventeen year-old body.

Once he was covered and Em-Four-See had approved, he went over to Qui-Gon. Em-Four was about halfway finished, so Obi-Wan got a small, white stool by the window and sat down. Em-See asked him how he felt, but otherwise it?s shiny, silver mechanical arms didn?t slow down; it?s two yellow eye-sensors stayed focused on it?s work.

The medcenter had a sterile, alcohol and bacta smell, like it was masquerading as something fresh. The room was bright white, with no sharp edges and smoothed corners. A few small, sleek silver floor droids scurried around randomly, vigilantly looking for any germ or contaminant to clean up.

Obi-Wan felt much better. The post-anesthetic grogginess had completely left him in the bacta tank. Neither he nor Qui-Gon had lost enough blood to be harmed. They were numerous, but the moolutee were still sm

12. kenobiwanobi

Jun 26, 2005
    Beautiful job yet again..I always love what you write...fantastic talent this one has...(yoda-lol)

Thanks for the PM.

13. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    kenobiwanobi: Beautiful job yet again..I always love what you write...fantastic talent this one has...(yoda-lol)

Aaah, thanks, and thanks for reading, too. :)

|[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]|[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]| Part 3

Everything was orange. Qui-Gon didn?t know why. The doors, the floors, the sky, the windows, the food, the plants, all painted in shades of orange. He kept looking for green or yellow, but he could only find orange.

The walls in the great halls of the Jedi Temple had receded to infinity, the floor gaining astronomical size. Qui-Gon stood in the middle and knew he?d need a ship to get to the staircase he could see in the distance to get to the lifts to get to the docks to get a ship. The staircase receded even further into the distance as he tried to puzzle out this problem.

Bored with the impossible paradox, he sat down on the smooth, cool floor. He lay down on the parquet surface, putting his cheek on it?s reassuring, smooth hardness. He liked the smoothness very much. Above him was an orange sky full of orange stars.

He turned over, feeling huge on the floor, large and bloated and bigger than the room. Obi-Wan was tiny; he nimbly kept balance on top whenever he moved and diligently scraped little bugs off of his back...

Qui-Gon?s eyes opened and he stared out of the bacta tank past the window to the orange plains outside, where the Moolu rumbled amidst their attendant scrapers and skimmers. Why did a bacta tank need a view? His own breath was loud in his ears. His hands bumped into the smooth curved wall of the tank.

He shook his head trying to get rid of the mouthpiece and then realized that he really didn?t want to do that. He stilled his body. One of the droids was already peering into the tank at him. A panicky patient in a bacta tank could be immediately sedated by the droids and he did not wish any more nightmares. He was obviously not reacting well to the earlier anesthetic. Most of the fantastical and disturbing images were already fading from his memory, but that last one of him as a moolu on the plains with Obi-Wan as an attendant was too intense to go away.

Qui-Gon had dreams, but they were rarely so vivid, or so weird. Qui-Gon was not accustomed to weird, nor was he accustomed to so badly overestimating his own strengths. Em-Four had cautioned him about every possible side-effect. He?d heard the warnings, but had casually assumed they were unnecessary, and he?d completely forgotten them when he?d sunk into a drug-induced malaise. He knew he had better control than that, but amidst his own overconfidence it had slipped away.

Obi-Wan appeared outside the tank, only his face visible, the rest of him covered in a baggy, white isolation suit. Reminded of the dream, Qui-Gon closed his eyes, a corner of his mind weighed down with concern from his apprentice. He felt restless and tired at the same time, so he stayed still, weightless and quiescent. He smelled the faintly sweet and sour, alcohol-like scent of the bacta, tasted it. No matter how well sealed the mask, how thoroughly filtered the air supply, it couldn?t be kept out. The bacta was warm, kept precisely at his body temperature and slightly more viscous than water; his skin tingled with the accelerated healing of his wounds. The harness and lower life support machines sealed around his hips and inguen kept him centered in the tank and efficiently disposed of his bodily evacuations. Everything in the tank was sterile and comfortable and controlled. Qui-Gon kept his eyes closed, waiting to be let out.

At last he heard a hum and a thumping over the loud breathing sounds. The tank began to descend and his ears popped with the pressure change. His head and then shoulders emerged into air, the fluid dripping off of him. He opened his eyes and was immediately assaulted by a rinsing spray, warm air and another rinse that went down the length of his body. A drier drew the moisture from his hair as he momentarily hung suspended by the harness and t

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    AACK! How could I have gotten so far behind!? :oops:

I'm still not caught up, but I'm getting there. :D Please forgive me, I'm getting old remember! ;)

15. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I love how you've been describing things from Qui-Gon's sometimes muddled and confused viewpoint. It's very realistic.

You're doing a really beautiful job with this. =D= I can't wait for more! :)

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Oops I missed one. The leechie things are giving me the creeps and that they were all over both of them was [face_sick] I can see why they'd need to be in bacta - there must have been a bit of blood loss with that many bites. Gross.

I found Qui-Gon odd dream to be humorous in a creepy sort of way - I think because he was so huge and Obi-Wan so small and everything orange. The muddiness of dreams can confuse people.

Good job with this.

17. kenobiwanobi

Jun 26, 2005
    Once again you amaze me...great job on yet another perfect post.

18. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    VaderLVR64: AACK! How could I have gotten so far behind!? I'm still not caught up, but I'm getting there. Please forgive me, I'm getting old remember!

No problem; we?re all behind; it?s fannish time. Thanks for reading!

LuvEwan: I love how you've been describing things from Qui-Gon's sometimes muddled and confused viewpoint. It's very realistic.

Thanks. Confused, muddled Qui-Gon is fun to work with, but he?s tough and figures his way out of it quick enough, darnit.

kenobiwanobi: Once again you amaze me...great job on yet another perfect post.

Thanks; glad you?re enjoying the story. But it?s only perfect until the typos show themselves. [face_worried]:)

dianethx: Oops I missed one. The leechie things are giving me the creeps and that they were all over both of them was I can see why they'd need to be in bacta - there must have been a bit of blood loss with that many bites. Gross.

Oh, well, wait until you read the last part.[face_mischief]

In the meantime, the next part...

|[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]|[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]| Part 4

Obi-Wan waited, but Qui-Gon remained silent.

He knew he shouldn?t have spoken. He?d added to his earlier transgression by interrupting his Master?s meditation, but he desperately wanted to speak.

He looked at the neat piles of clothes on the low table by his knees.

The Alzida protocols had required that they only wear the farm?s environment suits when they?d gone outside. The rules had made them vulnerable to the bounty hunter?s sabotage, but had also spared their clothes. He carefully laid their lightsabers down between the two piles, one his, one Qui-Gon?s and then looked outside.

He placed his hand on the thick transparisteel, staring out at the swampy orange fields, the moolu and the farm skimmers whizzing around them like insects by the distant hills. A very short time ago he and his Master had pursued Silhume across the plains. They?d discovered the bounty hunter?s sabotage when small splits had opened up on the legs of their environment suits. Obi-Wan had barely been able to see Qui-Gon?s face through the orange reflections on his mask plate, but Obi-Wan had instantly known the question; should they continue? Just as wordlessly, Qui-Gon had known his answer. The went on, together.

Now, the shadows of his Master?s thoughts at the corner of his mind were of violation and displeasure. Obi-Wan longed to have their earlier unity restored, even though he knew that the desire itself created more discord.

He glanced back at Qui-Gon, who hadn?t moved from his seat on the medical couch. Qui-Gon?s silences pierced him far worse than his admonishments.

He went to the fresher, took off the medical isolation suit and stuffed it down the disposal. It whooshed away with a rush of warm air. He bathed, washing off the inevitable traces of bacta. The warm, fine spray felt good, as well as the blow jets that dried him. One wall of the fresher was completely mirrored and he could see every pink bite mark on his now hairless body. He absentmindedly scratched his backside and his buttocks and then stopped himself. Em-Four had warned him about some mild itching, but he?d declined any medications for it. Itching was something that his Jedi mental disciplines should master. And he knew Qui-Gon would expect nothing less from him as well.

Obi-Wan leaned close to the mirror to examine his shaven head and the pink spots all over his skull and decided that he would be much happier when his hair grew back. He couldn?t imagine Qui-Gon bald and an hour?s discomfort in the medcenter was still much less time than a restoration process (many hours), or simply growing it back (years).

He stepped out of the fresher. Qui-Gon hadn?t moved, so he dressed as quietly as possible. His clothes felt strange on his now smooth skin and he knew that along with the healing bites, his hair growing back would itch, too. He attached his lightsaber to his belt last and picke

19. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Beautiful. Such lovely description of Obi-Wan's conflict - I loved the way you put in the reality of the situation, with Obi-Wan feeling itchy all over - and then his discomfort and mortification, together with Qui-Gon's trying to make it a lesson.

And then the latest, with Qui-Gon asking him to be put to sleep. Mush! [face_love] :D :D

Lovely, lovely. Loved the prose.

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved the part of Qui-Gon asking Obi-Wan to practice some more on him. I was giggling about it. Must have surprised Obi-Wan quite a bit! LOL.

Great mush.

21. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    There's something so authentic about this story. You've described them as real people, with real behaviors and mannerisms. I was as shocked as Obi-Wan when Qui-Gon told him to try it again. That was very sweet, and so in character. I've already read this twice in the past hour. :D Wonderful post! =D=

22. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    awww this was great. i love the scenario and the way events unfold. the obi/qui stuff is so sweet.

23. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oh I missed a bunch! How could I have gotten so far behind? I loved the bit with the mind tricks especially! [face_love]

24. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Can't believe I missed this before...I'll use VaderLV64's excuse and put it down to age! :D ... I'm still behind, but loved the first couple of posts...I'm very curious to find out what happens...

25. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Princess_Arulmozhi:
    And then the latest, with Qui-Gon asking him to be put to sleep. Mush!

Thanks! Yeah, I had to put on my mushy boots to write that scene.[face_blush]:)

dianethx:
    I loved the part of Qui-Gon asking Obi-Wan to practice some more on him. I was giggling about it. Must have surprised Obi-Wan quite a bit! LOL.

Practicing mind tricks on each other just has to one of the essentials of the Master/Padawan relationship.[face_mischief] I just don?t think the Order talks about it much. And even though they?re partners, Qui-Gon is still the teacher, so the lessons sometimes comes at unexpected times. Glad you enjoyed it.

LuvEwan:
    There's something so authentic about this story. You've described them as real people, with real behaviors and mannerisms. I was as shocked as Obi-Wan when Qui-Gon told him to try it again. That was very sweet, and so in character. I've already read this twice in the past hour. Wonderful post!

Thanks! It?s all the little things I think that make a story real; uncomfortable silences, the clothes, the scratching. I just have to remember to put them in, and think about how either one of them would react (I sure don?t have any Jedi discipline about itching). I really didn?t know just how Qui-Gon was going to handle it until I was writing it. I knew that once he?d decided that he was wrong and Obi-Wan was sort of right, he would turn it into a lesson. Glad you liked the way it turned out.

aabbccdd:
    awww this was great. i love the scenario and the way events unfold. the obi/qui stuff is so sweet.

Well, they?re a great pair; Obi-Wan?s and earnest student and Qui-Gon?s a patient teacher (most of the time). Glad you liked it.:)

Layren:
    Oh I missed a bunch! How could I have gotten so far behind? I loved the bit with the mind tricks especially!

Well, Jedi have to practice their tricks sometime.[face_mischief] And I have a feeling that Jedi never call them tricks (even though they are); it?s just everyone else in the galaxy that calls them tricks.

Kestrel_Kenobi:
    Can't believe I missed this before...I'll use VaderLV64's excuse and put it down to age! ... I'm still behind, but loved the first couple of posts...I'm very curious to find out what happens...

Thanks for reading! Last part coming up.....

|[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]|[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]|||[]||[]| Part 5

Qui-Gon opened his eyes a little. Everything was annoyingly too white and he closed them again.

He felt comfortably warm and rested. He sniffed, opened his eyes again and looked down. He was covered by Obi-Wan?s robe.

?Are you feeling better, Master??

?Yes.?

He rested a moment, his head on the pillow on Obi-Wan?s lap. Obi-Wan?s hand stroked his shoulder. The tension had left his Padawan, who had so recently suffered through their conflict with the intensity of youth. He sensed patience now, a maturity that would grow with time and experience.

Qui-Gon lifted his head and sat up. The aftereffects of the treatment were completely gone. He tensed his shoulders, then his arms and legs, stretching in place. Obi-Wan?s robe slid down off of him and he gathered up the brown folds of fabric and gave it back to him.

They both got up. Obi-Wan signaled for a meal and Qui-Gon went to the fresher. This fresher, Qui-Gon noticed with some pleasure, was the first room he?d seen in the farm complex that did not have any windows in it at all, and no reminders of the farm or it?s purpose.

Along with bathing, Qui-Gon thoroughly washed his hair. Bacta tended to make hair fuller and now he had a thick tangled mane to deal with. There were disposable combs and hair lotion and he worked through the mass, mindful of the half-healed wounds on his scalp, then rinsed and dried it into something civilized.

He inspected the pink bite marks all over his body in the wall mirror; his broad back and shoulders were especially marred and there were a few stray bites o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.