main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL DOWNERS GROVE AREA

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by NOOM, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOOM

NOOM Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    hello chicago force
    i am from douglasville about 20 miles west of atlanta ga and a member of the hothlanta rebels fan force
    i will be visiting the downers grove area the week of thanksgiving
    i plan to go to yorktown mall and hope to visit chicago
    is their anyone from this area or can anyone tell me what a starwars fan can do
    either in d.g. or chicago
    noom:eek:ut

2. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Graham Crackers Comics has a little store right on Main Street, it's south of the train tracks. Get your Star Wars comic fix there.

The Tivoli Thearte is a nice old thearte that shows second run movies. It's just $2 for admission. Maybe you'll luck out and get a good movie. They do have Digital Sound, and got the Phantom Menace. I am sooo waiting for AOTC to get there.

I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind.

p.s. I live in Lombard, the burb north of DG.

3. NOOM

Feb 10, 2002
    thanks jediautobot
    does anyone in chicago have any ideas when i
    visit your city

4. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Blatently copied from my response to a similar question earlier this month:

If you are going to be up that way and have kids in tow, check out the Lincoln Park Zoo (free!) and then head just north of the zoo to the Nature Museum. A former roommate used to volunteer there, and reportedly they have a great kid's area. Navy Pier also has a Children's museum, and there's always the Museum of Science and Industry. The Field Museum has many excellent exhibits, including Sue the T-Rex. Not the mention the Aquarium and the Planetarium just down the street from the Field.

The only Star Wars specific thing I think of is the SW section at FAO Schwarts. Also be sure to stop by the Disney Store just south of there (on the east side of the street, about 2-3 blocks down on Michigan). Just beware the power of the Mouse, and his magical ability to drain your common sense and wallet.

If you are coming over Thanksgiving, I think there is a parade or something, plus State Street and the Mag Mile are always decked out in chrismas decorations by that time. If it interests you, I would recommend at least walking through the State Street Marshall Fields, they make a big production of the decorations in the windows and in the main floor. Also, the Kris Kringlemart (Bavarian type market) should be up and running in Daley Plaza.

5. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Noom,
    if you travel 15-20 mins. further West down Ogden Ave( a major cross road), there is an indoor laser tag/ paintball complex in the Fox Valley mall. (Fox Valley is much bigger than Yorktown) They also do wargaming and have alittle comic shop connected to them as well.

Also, the RiverWalk in Naperville is nice if you want to do something relaxing.

Also there is the IMAX theatre at 7 Bridges in Lisle, which is the town right next to DG.

If you go to 75th street on the south side of DG, there is a bowling/minature golf/video game complex that is pretty cool, but it gets crowded on weekends.

6. NOOM

Feb 10, 2002
    just wondering
    where can i get one of those chicago force t-shirts?
    can i mail order one or meet someone when i come up to purchase it?
    does anyone plan to come to DRAGON CON down here in atlanta if so maybe
    i could buy one then we are having a meeting on friday and we have a fan table
    also go to hothlantarebels.com for more info.
    noom : out

7. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    For shirts, contact JediJeff, he has a stash of them and can mail one to you. I'll be going to DragonCon, so that's possible, but I don't know if I can get ahold of a shirt in time to give to you.

~H~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.